Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New York this Christmas. Would you?

37 replies

autumnredhead · 03/07/2020 17:51

Would you consider a trip to New York this Christmas? And if so, has anyone got any good accommodation recommendations!

Just me and DD 10 going. X

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 03/07/2020 19:56

Sadly there is no guarantee that the US travel ban that extends to all UK and European citizens will be lifted by then.

Please
or

KitKat1985 · 04/07/2020 09:42

The last I heard Donald Trump was talking of not allowing any international visitors in until next year, and even if he does, you may have to quarantine when you get there. Not to mention the USA's covid19 record is so poor you may have to go into quarantine when you come back to the UK. Personally I wouldn't book it at this time. Maybe give it a few months and see how things go nearer the time.

Please
or

GreyGardens88 · 04/07/2020 09:45

No I wouldn't, could you do a European city break instead?

Please
or

happytoday73 · 04/07/2020 09:49

Erm.. No I really wouldnt... No guarantee tone able to travel, likely isolate one side or other or both and I would expect levels to be bad after thanksgiving as people stay indoors more.

Please
or

TARSCOUT · 04/07/2020 09:50

Yes if travel was allowed.

Please
or

PersonaNonGarter · 04/07/2020 09:51

Why would you put yourself through this?

Go another year. Find something else to do that is less likely to end in disappointment.

Alternatively, hang on to your money and book at the very last minute.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 04/07/2020 09:51

If I did, I would only book very last minute. COVID19 could present a second wave worldwide. Potential for protests after the presidential election etc.

I usually work in the USA in the summer and I am not going anywhere near the place for at least another year - maybe two!!

Please
or

Reallybadidea · 04/07/2020 09:59

I certainly wouldn't be booking anything at the moment. I can't see how you'd get the full New York experience this year.

Please
or

autumnredhead · 04/07/2020 10:31

Thanks for the reality check all! I think I'll look at a beach holiday summer 2020. 🙃

OP posts:
Please
or

autumnredhead · 04/07/2020 10:31

I mean 2021 🙈

OP posts:
Please
or

Kelcat9494 · 04/07/2020 10:37

There's some very pretty places in the UK at Christmas - I personally like York and Edinburgh. Wouldn't risk New York this year ❤️

Please
or

LEELULUMPKIN · 04/07/2020 11:05

I certainly would but I wouldn't book it yet.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 04/07/2020 11:08

Not impossible that UK-US travel will resume later this year but I certainly wouldn’t be planning it now!
There are some lovely Christmassy places to head to in Europe though, Christmas markets in Germany for example.
A bit more realistic.

Please
or

AlternativePerspective · 04/07/2020 11:12

Not a chance. Currently the US has an infection rate of around 50000 a day, so even if that comes down it’s not going to be at a decent level by then.

Added to which it will be post election and the potential for protests is IMO huge.

TBH I think the US is one of the most unstable countries in the western world ATM and I’d be giving it a swerve for a good couple of years at least...

Please
or

KoalasandRabbit · 04/07/2020 11:20

Definitely wouldn't book anything now. If by some miracle there's a vaccine before then and you can have it and borders are open then yes but atm its fantasy land. I wouldn't book anything anywhere atm other than very last minute and ideally refundable as things can change very quickly. If abroad do look into conditions - a lot of countries it's a lot stricter than here. Atm I wouldn't book abroad, only UK and even then something not going to be rammed and not far ahead unless refundable. I wouldn't spend a lot of money this year as it's probably not going to be a normal holiday anywhere.

Please
or

pigeon999 · 04/07/2020 11:22

Nope, second wave modelling indicates December still

Please
or

Atadaddicted · 04/07/2020 11:24

If able to, then 100% yes

But I’d wait because wouldn’t want to go but not get the full experience

Last minute then.

Please
or

Atadaddicted · 04/07/2020 11:29

The thing that would stop me would be travel restrictions

Not Covid fear!

Please
or

KoalasandRabbit · 04/07/2020 11:35

I would be nervous for covid in US as the health costs can be horrendous and insurance generally is excluding covid now. Plus one of worst hit places. Though you would still need to be very unlucky.

Please
or

MaggieMagpie357 · 04/07/2020 13:44

We have a trip booked to NYC for our anniversary in October, used all of our air miles plus £500. We're fully expecting it to be cancelled - just hope they will reinstate the air miles as well as refund the money. I'm not sure I'd want to adhere to social distancing guidelines, wearing a mask etc anyway. It wouldn't be the trip we had planned.

Please
or

Mangofandangoo · 04/07/2020 14:51

I can't imagine any of the big Christmas things in NY will go ahead this year regardless of the travel restrictions.

It really is lovely at Christmas but best to wait until you can really enjoy it

Please
or

Lollypop4 · 04/07/2020 14:53

We were meant to go to NY in Sept, Its been cancelled ofcourse but the booking company reccomended we rebook for 2022, which we have.

I personally wouldnt go, NYC is also one of the worst hit states for Covid

Please
or

FizzyPink · 04/07/2020 14:55

We are supposed to be going the week before Christmas so watching this thread for ideas

Please
or

autumnredhead · 04/07/2020 15:38

Thanks all: I'm thinking of looking at a European Christmas market as PP suggested. Just fancy a little break about y'know. Change of scenery. I've been to NYC before, but in the summer. Would love to go at Christmas. But it can wait.

OP posts:
Please
or

Deanetta · 04/07/2020 15:43

Be warned, it can be absolutely positively freezing in December. Looks pretty on film but the reality is not as pleasant!

I love NY and the US but I have resigned myself to the fact I will not be going there until 2021. The stress of wondering about travel restrictions is too much.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?