Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Jet2 Balance Due

42 replies

mummy2oneandtwo · 26/04/2020 08:07

My balance with Jet2 is due to be paid on the 30th, just under £4,000.

I have no intention of paying the balance as there is no way the holiday will be going ahead in June and I don't want to then try and get all that money back.

However their emails say they will automatically take the amount from the card used to pay the deposit.

I've had no luck contacting Jet2 and I can't see any way in the Manage My Booking section to make them 'forget' the card I used.

Tried to call Barclays to block the payment but 2 hours on hold and the line disconnected. I can only now think of reporting the card lost/stolen so the card is invalid.

Has anyone had similar and how did you get around it?

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

MowCopCastle · 26/04/2020 08:53

You just go into Manage Booking and there's an option to cancel the holiday. It's really easy to do and you get email confirmation quickly.

Please
or

mummy2oneandtwo · 26/04/2020 09:02

That option is gone now, it sends you to an email address, which I have used, and had a generic response regarding them contacting people in order of departure.

I just don't know how to stop the balance going out on Thursday Confused

OP posts:
Please
or

dixiedo · 26/04/2020 09:05

Can you freeze your card as lost / stolen then unfreeze afterwards. I can on my Barclays app.
If not cancel the card.
I'm in the same position. Not for as much money though but final instalment due on the 29th
Supposed to fly 13th May. I don't know what to do. Lose what I've paid up to now ? Or pay it and try and get it back.

Please
or

getyoursocksoffhoney · 26/04/2020 09:06

Has your holiday been cancelled yet? If not then you need to still pay the balance as annoying as it is, if you don't pay the balance they take that as you breaking your contract/cancelling your holiday and won't give you your deposit back.

Please
or

CupOfTeaNonBio · 26/04/2020 09:07

Was going to suggest cancelling the card as a PP has said. And at the same time email them saying you are cancelling so won't be paying the rest.

We have a Jet2 booking that they cancelled weeks ago, no sign of the £, they want us to rebook (not happening).

Please
or

CupOfTeaNonBio · 26/04/2020 09:08

But yes cancelling the card etc will lose the deposit. But maybe you think that's worth it not to have to fight for the rest back?

Please
or

whatdoyoudonow · 26/04/2020 09:15

If they can take the money whenever they think the balance is due you may have set up a 'Continuous payment authority'
These can be stopped either through the company or the bank.
I don't think cancelling your card alone stop them.

Keep trying to contact Barclays.

Please
or

suggestionsplease1 · 26/04/2020 09:16

Has your holiday been cancelled yet? If not then you need to still pay the balance as annoying as it is, if you don't pay the balance they take that as you breaking your contract/cancelling your holiday and won't give you your deposit back.

The difficulty with this approach is, in the current circumstances, it could just be throwing good money after bad. Unfortunately who knows where many of these travel businesses will be in a few months time - they might collapse and then would you get your money back and if so when? It's strange times, and even with the protections that exist it still might be unpredictable what might be returned to customers in the event that businesses go into administration.

Unfortunately, the flip side of this is, that the more individuals who take this approach of not paying the balance for future holidays, the more likely a business will go into administration. But it's a big risk for any individual family to commit another £4000. It's just really difficult times.

Please
or

whatdoyoudonow · 26/04/2020 09:19

Money saving expert site .Step by step guide here:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments/

The AA continued to take money from a cancelled card apparently. See link.

Please
or

AJPTaylor · 26/04/2020 09:20

I would report card lost/stolen in a blink of an eye in that situation

Please
or
Please
or

FixTheBone · 26/04/2020 09:39

You need to pay, and Ideally, you need to pay on a credit card if you cant get in touch with jet2.

If you simply fail to pay, they will cancel your holiday and keep whatever you have currently paid, and you will have no comeback whatsoever.

If you pay and the flights are cancelled, you will be able to claim the full amount back, unless the company has gone bust by that point, in which case you can try to use a chargeback on a debit card, but much more likely to be successful using a section 75 credit card protection.

Please
or

GivenchyDahhling · 26/04/2020 09:52

If it’s a debit card, can you move money so that you don’t have £4000 in the account?

Obviously harder with a credit card, unless you can put enough spending (that you have to do anyway) on the card to stop there being less than £4000 available - but that depends on your limit; no good if you have no balance and a £12k limit.

Otherwise I recommend freezing the card. If you’ve tried to cancel I imagine you’ve already written off the deposit

Please
or

mummy2oneandtwo · 26/04/2020 09:56

Thanks for the suggestions, cancelling the card is what I have thought doing too but then heard that they can still take the money. I did try to speak with Barclay Card last week but was on hold for 2 hours and then the line disconnected.

We have paid on credit card, always do for holidays for the added protection.

I know we will loose the right to the deposit if we don't put the balance but I'd rather write off £290 than fight to get the full amount back.

The holiday isn't cancelled, right now it's one week after when they intend to start operating again, but I can see no way flights will be going to Majorca at the end of June.

OP posts:
Please
or

mummy2oneandtwo · 26/04/2020 09:57

I'll try and block the CPA payment, thank you for that link

OP posts:
Please
or

Doublevodka · 26/04/2020 11:07

We had exactly the same issue as you OP. Also had a booking with Jet2. We decided it would be safer to lose the deposit. We cancelled ours a week ago. There was the option to cancel the booking online at that point. I can't believe they have now removed this. Surely this can't be legal? To simply remove that option from online bookings. I'm fuming on your behalf. Although lots of holiday companies are doing things like not returning funds within 14 days etc, which is illegal. Can't believe they are getting away with this shit.

Please
or

AHippoNamedBooBooButt · 26/04/2020 11:22

Since you couldn't get through on the phone, have you considered going into branch to cancel the payment? I believe banks are still open just reduced opening hours

Please
or

whatdoyoudonow · 26/04/2020 12:12

Since you couldn't get through on the phone, have you considered going into branch to cancel the payment? I believe banks are still open just reduced opening hours

This. Without a doubt.!

Contact Jet2 by e-mail and notify them of what you are doing. Ask them to cancel the payment.
Go to a branch of Barclays and block cancel further payments from that end too.

Please
or

WickedlyPetite · 26/04/2020 12:17

We cancelled ours a couple of weeks ago - they'd removed the option to cancel online but I was able to get through on the phone.

We lost our £180 deposit, but figured better that than give them 6k of our money for them to hold onto it for weeks or months before refunding us.

Please
or

christravelwizard · 26/04/2020 12:36

@mummy2oneandtwo, Where are you flying to? Let me know and I'll check to see if your flight is going out (trade secret).

The website says that no flights are travelling before end of June and I doubt they will have much more this year.

May I suggest the following options:

1. cancel your card - they cant' take the money.

2. Email them and notify them of your intention to cancel and ask them not to take the balance.
3. Insist on a refund - the low cost airlines are using Regulation EC261/2004 to avoid issuing compensation and are trying to get you to book an alternative date. Don't.
If you need any help, please let me know.
Please
or

LunaAzul · 26/04/2020 12:42

I had a holiday with Jet2 fully paid. They contacted me to ask if I wanted a refund or to move the holiday on a Friday, I requested a full refund and the whole lot was back in my bank by the Tuesday morning.

I did have a nightmare getting through and didn't actually get a call until two days before we were due to travel, but as I say once the refund was requested I received it quicker than I thought I would.

Please
or

MowCopCastle · 26/04/2020 12:47

I cancelled mine online yesterday.

Please
or

Spied · 26/04/2020 12:59

We cancelled with jet 2 and only lost deposit but luckily we had booked through an agent so didn't have to sort it all out ourselves.
Money was back in my account 4 days later.
( We did cancel beginning of March so it's likely this made a big difference).
I'd keep on calling your bank and getting that card stopped asap or I'd really worry you will have a fight getting a full refund.

Please
or

Spied · 26/04/2020 13:02

They will do anything to keep your money.
We were offered more expensive holiday packages for the price we had paid etc.for same time 2021.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?