Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Recommendations for Greek Islands

35 replies

FANTINE2 · 04/03/2020 10:26

Could anybody recommend a Greek Island for OH and myself. In mid 50's so quiet, nice hotel, possibly all inclusive.
Possibility of doing two islands, but am not sure which ones!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Toomboom · 04/03/2020 10:31

I loved Crete. If I went back I would also do Santorini, it looks so nice.

Please
or

Caramel78 · 04/03/2020 10:33

Milos! I’ve been to about 20 of the islands and this one wins hands down. Absolutely stunning with lovely restaurants and nice and quiet

Please
or

LefttoherownDevizes · 04/03/2020 10:36

We were in Zakynthos last summer which was beautiful and a short ferry over to kefalonia which is also meant to be stunning

Please
or

Funf · 04/03/2020 10:54

Rhodes, you can get the ferry to Turkey for the day

Please
or

Funf · 04/03/2020 10:54

Kefalonia is very nice

Please
or

Charley50 · 04/03/2020 11:28

The east coast (posh bit) of Corfu is lovely and quiet. Shingle beaches but gorgeous as long as you have beach shoes. You need to hire a car or a boat though to get around to other little beachside villages. The little boats to hire are a great way to get to the taverna for lunch.

Please
or

purpleleotard · 04/03/2020 11:32

How about on the main land as Kalamata is a pleasant town.

Please
or

bingbangbing · 04/03/2020 11:34

NOT lefkhada

It's shit

Please
or

FANTINE2 · 04/03/2020 12:03

Thank you. Like the sound of Minos and maybe Santorini

OP posts:
Please
or

AuntieDolly · 04/03/2020 12:06

Why all inclusive? Local restaurants are usually very good and better for the local economy. We love Crete, near chania is lovely

Please
or

FANTINE2 · 04/03/2020 12:59

Yes, was thinking that as I was researching.

OP posts:
Please
or

jocktamsonsbairn · 07/03/2020 20:41

I was going to say don't go AI, you could be anywhere in the world!! Every island has its special areas. My first love is Corfu as it's where I first fell in love with Greece but Skiathos , Kefalonia, Skopelos, Paxos, Santorini (too busy now though!) parts of Crete, Rhodes, Kos etc etc etc all have special memories for me. I also love the Peloponnese, Thessaloniki (could tie in with Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos) and Parga on the mainland are also pretty special to me.
One of my main criteria is a sandy beach with tavernas! I don't do dingle or pebbles for the resort I'm staying in as a lazy beach day is exactly that!!! So no travel to find sand! Other people love the clearer seas a pebble beach gives them.
If you want Athens and an island look at Aegina etc. So many options...

Please
or

itswonkylampshade · 07/03/2020 20:46

Agree you should consider avoiding all inclusive. Support the local businesses and get much better food and an authentic experience into the bargain.

I love Corfu, Santorini (off season as mobbed in Summer). I also liked Kefalonia and Rhodes. I’m v envious of the PP who’s visited twenty of the Greek Islands - I’d love to visit more of them!

Please
or

Geoffreythecat · 07/03/2020 20:51

Paxos or Naxos. Both wonderful, but definitely wouldn't go AI.

I went to Santorini in the 80s when there was no civilian airport, and virtually no tourism. It was the most astonishingly beautiful place, but think I'd hate it now it's so busy.

Please
or

GCAcademic · 08/03/2020 08:00

Definitely don't go AI. Greek tavernas are amazing. You'll be missing out on a huge part of the experience of a Greek island. We stayed in a taverna with rooms on a tiny beach in Corfu last time we had a Greek holiday. I still dream about the seafood and salads, and sitting right on the water at mealtimes.

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 08/03/2020 08:16

Another saying avoid all inclusive. We went to Kos last September and the locals were saying that AI is killing their business. Also, IMO, part of the fun of going on holiday is eating at local tavernas, cafes and restaurants. We had lunch at an amazing vineyard one day. You will never get this kind of atmosphere at an AI hotel (and possibly not the quality of food either).

The best hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday was the Castello Boutique Hotel in Sissi, Crete. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Everything about it was brilliant. Really high quality rooms, excellent service, wonderful food, large grounds with plenty of room for sunbeds, and never a fight for a sunbed. If only I could pick this hotel up and plonk it down wherever we end up on holiday.

Please
or

Lightsabre · 08/03/2020 08:16

Samos, Ikaria, Symi (just off Rhodes), Skiathos and Skopelos are smaller islands. Crete has it all but you need to search out the quieter areas - look south west of the islands.

Please
or

CalleighDoodle · 08/03/2020 08:20

Me and the husband used to go to Greece every year before we had children. We thought it would be too hot for them. Youre making me want to go next year Wink

Please
or

johnwayneisbigleggy · 08/03/2020 08:56

Santorini is beautiful, lots to do but I'd say don't do all inclusive because there are lots of lovely little restaurants and tavernas to try. Plenty to do and see around the island, definitely recommend a trip to Oia to see the sunset.

Please
or

Africa2go · 10/03/2020 22:38

Symi, Symi, Symi. It was just stunning!

Please
or

Ginfordinner · 10/03/2020 23:03

I watched Julia Bradbury's programme on the Greek islands. It just made me want to visit them all, especially Symi.

Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 10/03/2020 23:07

Kefalonia and def don’t go AI

Please
or

minipie · 10/03/2020 23:09

What time of year? Some eg Crete, Rhodes will be very hot in the summer, but lovely in spring/autumn

May/June or September is the perfect time for most Greek islands imo

If going in peak summer then I would aim for the more northerly islands so you don’t boil, and avoid any island with its own airport - if you’re willing to take a ferry you’ll get fewer crowds.

Personally I love Alonissos.

Please
or

MamiBets · 25/05/2020 07:09

Having been to several Greek islands I'd say my favourite so far has been Skiathos and Skopelos. Kefalonia was also beautiful. We didn't particularly like Santorini, (controversial I know!).. it was beautiful... but not worth the money when you can get a similar scenery etc elsewhere.

As many others have said, don't go AI in Greece, the food is too nice and you'll find some amazing traditional tavernas no matter where you go.

Please
or

CalmTea · 22/06/2020 14:36

@GCAcademic could you tell me where you stayed please, that sounds like heaven!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?