My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Devon or Cornwall - Do you know of somewhere to stay?

27 replies

sb34 · 15/06/2002 01:12

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Rozzy · 15/06/2002 09:04

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Rozzy · 15/06/2002 09:12

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

CraftyCat · 15/06/2002 09:48

We stayed at Mount Pleasant Farm cottages when I was pregnant and are taking DD on her first holiday there next month. I hope it is toddler-proof - I didn't look at things in the same way when we stayed the first time!

It is a bit off the beaten track, but in the middle of north Cornwall so not too far from the Eden Project, Newquay etc. They have a couple of horses, chickens, pigs a covered swimming pool and lots of moorland around for walking.

www.cornwall-online.co.uk/mount-pleasant/Welcome.html

Paula1 · 15/06/2002 16:27

We stayed at a really cool place near Ilfracombe in Devon, it was called Watermouth Castle and booked through English Country Cottages, the castle had been converted into appartments. The castle grounds were a really 'nice' theme park for children, only rides for small children, and lots of things to look at in the gardens like barrels with buttons to press that played nursery rhymes, a gnome village where you pressed a button and the gnomes did things, my ds absolutely loved it, and we spent almost the entire week in this theme park (luckily, if you stay in the castle you get free entry)

sb34 · 15/06/2002 21:32

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
leese · 17/06/2002 11:11

sb34 - my sister is currently on holiday in Devon, at a place recommended by Alih on the thread entiltled 'Child Friendly hotels in the UK/South West'
Place is called Hill Farm near Torrington. My sister has two kids - aged nearly three and ten months. My eldest nephew is having a whale of a time by all accounts. Lots of animal feeding and putting animals to bed, tractor rides, play area and heated indoor pool. Accomodation is in cottages on the farm - lovely views etc. My sister only booked recently, so you may be lucky. Cheaper than English Country Cottages too!

Cityfreak · 17/06/2002 11:17

We stayed on a farm from Cornish Farm Holidays (website and also brochure) over the jubilee weekend, only £20 per night, B&B, private facilities, child free, nice, clean and convenient. There is a lot of variation between what the different farms offer, and not all accept children, but you can ring up and discuss it. There are loads of things to do in Cornwall.

Rhiannon · 17/06/2002 11:36

We've booked through English C.C going to a place in Tawstock,Devon, looks very nice. Self catering, indoor pool etc. R

soothepoo · 17/06/2002 14:17

We've recently had a holiday in north Devon (very near the Cornish border) in a small group of cottages called West Down House, near a village called Bradworthy, about a 15 minute drive from the coast (Bude). The couple who own the house are lovely and the cottages themselves are very well equipped. The house has huge grounds to which visitors have full access, and an outdoor swimming pool. Bradworthy itself has a couple of small supermarkets and an excellent butcher and at least one pub that does food, although we did not eat there. The only drawback was that you do need to drive everywhere, but other than that it was a fantastic place to stay. Their web site is here

Pat · 17/06/2002 14:35

When our two were younger we stayed at a lovely place called The Olde House in Chaple Amble. It's in North Cornwall near Wadebridge.
There's about 20 cottages on the farm (some old barn-type conversions and some new buildings). There's an indoor swimming pool there and indoor play barn, pets corner etc. which was good for rainy day entertainment. Very friendly staff who run it. Also, lovely pub in the village which did good food.
Loads to do in the area - a bike ride from Wadebridge to Padstow (The Camel Trail), good beaches, Port Isaac, Boscastle and Tintagel.
We never went in the High Season/School Holidays which made it slightly cheaper (and also meant that there were some ready made same age playfellows for our two on the farm).
Their site is www.theoldehouse.co.uk

Lollypop · 17/06/2002 21:16

Polzeath near Wadebridge is excellent for a family seaside holiday, it does get quite expensive as in July the IT crowd (Wills & Harry) stay in near by Rock.

There are several good campsites and the beach is very clean, has loads of rock pools and a life guard. If you follow Pat's suggestion its well worth a trip.

emmagee · 18/06/2002 10:21

We stayed in a wonderful house in North Cornwall near Boscastle last year with English Country Cottages and are staying in another of their houses this year near Bodmin. In their brochure they have a few properties that are on farms with swimming pools etc which you share with other families. Also well worth looking at is a book called 'Special Places to Stay' by Alistair Sawday. There are a few properties which are on working farms and which welcome children - my favourite description starts " your children can collect their breakfast eggs, climb in the garden, visit the animals......" - that farm is called Higher Lake Farm and is in Cornwall btw

Ems · 18/06/2002 11:36

Leese, found the Hill Farm website, it looks great. No August availability (what a surprise) but they have had a 19 July cancellation, if anyone wants to get in quick.

leese · 18/06/2002 18:42

Hope someone manages to get in - thanks for that Ems

cocococo · 21/06/2002 19:44

Anyone visited Gara Rock Hotel in Devon nr Salcombe? Just wondering what it's like, it seems v.childfriendly.

rosehip · 21/06/2002 21:00

The Carlyon Bay Hotel in St Austell is very good, great location, own golf course and activities/club/nursery for the children.It's quite a while since we stayed there - 1996.

sb34 · 21/06/2002 21:46

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
KatyW · 25/06/2002 17:16

We want to go to Cornwall at the end of August for a week. Can anyone recommend a cottage/village which is walking distance from a pub (most important!), a toddler friendly beach, good walks and a shop. I would like to go somewhere where we don't have to get in the car every five minutes.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Melly · 25/06/2002 21:36

Carlyon Bay Camping and Caravan site is even better....well I would say that cos it's run and owned by members of my family!! But seriously, give it a go, it's a really great site suitable for singletons, families and oldies alike. Great location, friendly family owned business...you'll have a great time, near the beach, great walks just brilliant (& no I'm not on commission )

leese · 28/06/2002 18:39

KatyW - not sure how big your family is, but we went to a lovely little cottage in Mousehole, Cornwall last September - only sleeps three though (one double, one single room). Very reasonably priced. Beautiful little village with a couple of pubs, few good cafes, few shops and lovely harbour. Not much parking in the village, so you're given a permit for the harbour car park, which is about 1 minute away from the cottage - no problems for us with buggy. Right next door to fantastic restaurant - and the baby monitor range stretched easily! Hence we sat celebrating our anniversary, eating our first meal out for eons, sipping champagne, and watching the monitor!! Bliss
Very small beach attached to harbour - ideal for little ones, but beaches at Newlyn and Penzance only short walk away. If you want to get in tha car, some superb beaches close by. Lots of good walks too.
If you have a toddler tho', you'd need a portable stairgate, as the property has stairs. If you want details etc, let me know...

Fionn · 20/07/2002 20:54

Leese, I'd be very interested in details of the cottage in Mousehole. I want to book a week's self-catering for mid-September and am particularly interested in sitting in a restaurant with baby monitor (and dp)! Thanks.

Lilia · 20/07/2002 21:41

HI!

There is a nice cottage (ex-farm barn) in Coverack, called Pedn-du. Sleeps 4, 2 adults and 2 children. Very nice place, close to the sea.

leese · 22/07/2002 12:53

Fionn - website is www.easycottages.com and property ref is 7407 - on there you can read reviews from other guests too. If not that property tho', there are plenty more to choose from!

Fionn · 22/07/2002 19:15

Many thanks leese, I'll look it up!

sb34 · 10/09/2002 22:33

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.