Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

North Cornwall self-catering

29 replies

bluesky · 19/01/2004 10:43

Has anyone stayed in a really fantastic self catering cottage in North Cornwall, that they could recommed? Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

bluesky · 20/01/2004 14:12

No-one recommending North Cornwall then?! I thought it had great beaches, but wasn't sure where to start looking.

OP posts:
Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 14:22

We once stayed in a self-catering cottage in Pentire - wouldn't describe it as really fantastic though! But Pentire is nice and, yes, the beaches are brilliant.

Gosh - I do believe it was this one!

It was 15 years ago though, it will have been improved by now.

Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 14:24

Oh dear - it is booked solid from halfterm right through till September - when were you thinking of?

Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 14:24

Spring Bank that is, not Feb!

Please
or

bluesky · 20/01/2004 16:11

Thanks JanH, I was thinking of early July, the Bowgie Inn sounded nice, little ones would have had fun with that name!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Sonnet · 20/01/2004 16:17

Hi,
Try www.tintagelweb.co.uk they have a accomodation page. Very nice area with beautiful beach _ Trebarwith strand - nearby....

Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 16:25

bluesky, the Bowgie Inn would be better than the Bowgie out anyway (sorreeee !)

This page has all the E C Cottages in N Cornwall, though the few I've looked at have all been booked up too.

Have you tried googling on N Cornwall cottages? There are lots of smaller websites there, might be easier to find a vacancy? I know recommendations are nicer but a fantastic cottage in July is likely to be booked.

Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 16:28

Oh - sorry - it doesn't work that way. It's www.english-country-cottages.co.uk anyway!

Please
or

eyelash · 20/01/2004 16:52

For the past 3 years (and we have booked again for the October half-term) we have gone to tredethick cottages in North Cornwall - absolutely fantastic. I can't do links but if you type in the name you will get their website. Great beaches close-by but the accommodation is absolutely fantactic. The owners are great and do animal feeding every morning for the kids. They have an indoor play barn and indoor swimming pool. You might be hard pushed to book for this year though.

Please
or

JanH · 20/01/2004 17:29

eyelash, they look gorgeous, I want to go now!

bluesky, there are a couple of apparent vacancies in early July...

Please
or

bluesky · 20/01/2004 19:26

Thanks you 3, Tredethick looks lovely. Am about to scour english country cottages, it's just so heavy going sometimes, that's why personal recommendations are brilliant, especially when someone has been THREE TIMES eyelash, it must be good!

Keep the ideas coming .......!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ailsa · 20/01/2004 22:42

Sonnet - Agree about Trebarwith Strand, we visit every time we go to north Cornwall.

Please
or

bluesky · 21/01/2004 11:47

Sonnet & Ailsa, what do you like about Trebarwith Strand? Is it lovely sand and rock pooly for the children? I have found a nice s/c cottage nearby. It sounds like a nice area, Tintagel for King Arthur, lots of things to do.

OP posts:
Please
or

BearintheBigBlueHous · 21/01/2004 11:48

Have stayed here loads of times - lovely - Cant Farm near Rock, Padstow etc. Pricy in high summer, mind.

Please
or

Sonnet · 21/01/2004 11:55

SAndy, rock-pooly, caves - great for kids. Also pub called Port William up on the cliff.

There is another beach the opposite side of Tintagel to Trebarwith - Bossiney Cove. Quite a trek down to the beach - but lovely walk. Very sheltered when you get there, sandy and rock pools.
Let me know where you end up!
Have a great holiday - give me love to cornwall!

Please
or

bluesky · 21/01/2004 12:05

Thanks Sonnet, sounds spot on for children.
B in BBH, how far away was your favourite beach when you stayed at Cant Farm, was the location fab or the accommodation, or both?!

OP posts:
Please
or

codswallop · 21/01/2004 12:12

eleylash they look nice - no mention of thepool tho (or am I thick)

Please
or

BearintheBigBlueHous · 21/01/2004 12:30

10/15 min walk to Rock beaches, 5/10 mins in car to Polzeath (huge and great for surfing and kites etc) see multimap for walk from Cant Farm to Porthilly (Rock). See multimap2 for Polzeath. Accommodation and views over estuary excellent.

Please
or

Crunchie · 21/01/2004 12:39

I have been to Tredithick Farm Cottages and it is brilliant, I am sure I have posted on this before. School holidays are full I think for this year, we would go back in spring/autumn, but we go camping in Cornwall in the summer.

If you can face camping or mobile homes you may find more availability in the summer. The beaches at Polzeth and Daymer Bay (just near Rock) are fantastic for young children, we went last year when our kids were 4 and 2 and had the best holiday in the world. Our 4 yr old keeps asking when we are going camping again, and is planning which bedroom she should have!!!

We bought a massive tent and a load of gear last year (spent about £300 - £400) but our hoiliday cost £120 for accommadation!! Every year it will be about the same

You could also try The Olde House, it is supposed to be good, but this isn't a personal recommendation.

Please
or

bluesky · 21/01/2004 12:52

Thanks for latest advice guys. I agree Crunchie that the simplest holidays are the best with children, thats all we want, somewhere simple, easy to get around and lovely clean beaches. If the weathers WOW, you don't feel you are in England.

OP posts:
Please
or

miranda2 · 21/01/2004 13:01

does tredethick have a pool? it doesn't say so on their website.

Please
or

BearintheBigBlueHous · 21/01/2004 13:16

Sorry second map should have been polzeath . Link problems, d'oh. Agree Daymer Bay (just north of Rock) and the dunes there are great fun.

Please
or

JanH · 21/01/2004 13:18

Isn't Rock the place where all the rich lager lout kids go?

Please
or

Bozza · 21/01/2004 13:49

Yeah JanH it is. But the general area is lovely. We stayed at a cottage somwhere that way in September 2002, had glorious weather and a lovely holiday. DS was 19 months at the time. He loved pottering on the Trebarwith Strand beach. Would love to go to Cornwall again this summer but unlikely.

Please
or

eyelash · 21/01/2004 14:00

miranda2 - tredethick are completing it at the moment. I think it will be opened before April. The reason we have gone there so much is we want to know there is plenty to do in the right accommodation without having to jump on a plane with 2 young ones. The family who run the accommodation are fantastic. We had to change this years holiday and they couldn't have been more accommodating. We have had fantastic weather there but even on the wet days there was plenty to do. Although we won't be going there every year from now on, we hope to visit at least every second year as it is the kind of place we hope the boys will have happy family holidays and great memories.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?