Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Turned down for student finance tuition

Andi2020 · 12/04/2022 22:45

Advice needed
We live in Ireland
Dd applied to university in Liverpool and choose as first choice booked accommodation got letter today to say rejected for student finance for tuition as her course starts as a foundation level
It is Law with criminal justice
What,can we do.we already have to pay for accommodation and she saves from her part time job for food and extras needed and hopefully get a part time job when there we really haven't spare funds to pay tuition fee was depending on student finance for this.
She is devastated.
She rang student finance and they said the database was down to ring back tomorrow
Any help appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kite22 · 12/04/2022 22:56

Presumably as you are coming from outside the UK you are looking at International fees?
I'm afraid I don't know much about how University is funded by the Irish Government - or even if it is for young people to attend Universities in different countries, but weren't you always putting the cart before the horse in paying for accommodation before you have had it confirmed that you can finance it in some way ?

Please
or

Andi2020 · 12/04/2022 23:18

Yes, She went ahead booked accommodation but thought everyone got student finance for tuition fees

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kite22 · 12/04/2022 23:22

Not International Students.

Please
or

BrambleyHedge · 12/04/2022 23:25

That doesn't seem right. The uni I work at has a foundation year which is fundable.

Please
or

Threetulips · 12/04/2022 23:26

Tuition fees are paid for / financed by your own government - which part of Ireland are you?

I think the foundation years aren’t covered - could they do the foundation year locally and apply next year?

Which coarse have they applied to? Do they not have enough UCAS points to start their preferred degree?

Please
or

MarmiteCoriander · 12/04/2022 23:26

Does she live in Northern or Southern Ireland? (possibly wrong terminology as not born in Britain).

Please
or

Lolabalola · 12/04/2022 23:28

Any help ?
Possibly a mistake if it’s a normal three year degree course

irishlinks.co.uk/uk-student-loans-irish-students.htm

Please
or

BrambleyHedge · 12/04/2022 23:29

If it is LJM then it says it is funded for FY and my understanding is that Irish students still pay home fees and apply for SLC funding as in common travel area. Not my area so may be wrong but try googling it.

Please
or

Jellybean23 · 12/04/2022 23:30

As far as I know, a Foundation year at an English uni doesn't qualify for any student finance loans, presumably because it's not part of the degree course. Not sure about Wales, Scotland and NI. It's more a course to provide students eligibility for entry on the degree course. Would it be easier if she did a foundation course in Ireland, then applied to Liverpool next year for the degree course?

Please
or

BrambleyHedge · 12/04/2022 23:30

Does she have the grades to go straight onto the first year and not do a foundation level?

Please
or

Andi2020 · 12/04/2022 23:31

@MarmiteCoriander thanks for reply live in southern Ireland

OP's posts:
Please
or

shabbalabba · 12/04/2022 23:34

@Andi2020 can she still apply for the SUSI grant??

Please
or

Threetulips · 12/04/2022 23:36

The grant won’t cover a foundation coarse which is similar level to A Levels

Please
or

Andi2020 · 12/04/2022 23:36

@BrambleyHedge thanks it is ljmu
But I checked her course after rejection letter and it doesn't say degree on it.

Can she change course.
She has predicted grades and outside Musical Theatre grade 8 distinction but can't find a degree course in Lmju she wanted to do law with criminology

OP's posts:
Please
or

Threetulips · 12/04/2022 23:49

Has she looked at Liverpool university? They do that coarse and it’s next door to LJMU

Please
or

shabbalabba · 12/04/2022 23:56

@Andi2020 what level is the foundation year?

Please
or

Rummikub · 12/04/2022 23:56

Contact ljmu to see what’s possible in changing courses

Please
or

Sunshine4Ever2 · 13/04/2022 04:13

As an Irish citizen applying from Ireland she should be eligible for a student loan for qualifying courses, however, a foundation year doesn't qualify.

Please
or

sashh · 13/04/2022 06:54

@Threetulips

The grant won’t cover a foundation coarse which is similar level to A Levels

A foundation year is not a foundation course. Foundation years are for students who either need some pre study before the degree proper or because their A Levels / BTEC / foundation course are in a different subject.

I got funding for my foundation year as it was considered integral to the degree.

OP has she applied for just the foundation year or for 'Law with foundation year' it might just be the wording that makes a difference.

Did she go through UCAS?

Some info from Leeds uni

students.leeds.ac.uk/info/21508/student_loans/1210/degree_with_foundation_year_-_how_to_apply_for_funding
Please
or

LIZS · 13/04/2022 07:27

Unless it is part of a degree programme a foundation year won't be funded via SFE. Your dc may be eligible for other funding post 19 though. Try www.gov.uk/get-undergraduate-student-loan although being resident in Ireland may mean you need to look as a EU student.

Please
or

Andi2020 · 13/04/2022 07:38

This is the course details if any of you can help.

Turned down for student finance tuition
OP's posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 13/04/2022 07:41

But it clearly says on the screenshot that the point of entry is 1st year. I read that was 1st year of a normal bachelor’s degree. Am I reading incorrectly?

Please
or

BrambleyHedge · 13/04/2022 08:16

A foundation year makes it a four year course and is fundable (it is at mine). LJM also do the three year version without foundation year. If she has the grades for that I would recommend it and the university should have done so as well.

Please
or

TheBigDilemma · 13/04/2022 08:20

Foundation years are covered as long as they are linked with UG degree. You may not get student finance if the foundation is a separate course.

In terms of the payments made to the university, just contact them, they are used to return deposits when the students do not meet their offer requirements or change their minds especially such a long time before the course starts.

Please
or

TheBigDilemma · 13/04/2022 08:22

@BrambleyHedge

A foundation year makes it a four year course and is fundable (it is at mine). LJM also do the three year version without foundation year. If she has the grades for that I would recommend it and the university should have done so as well.

If your programme was registered by the university as “BA in XXX with a foundation year” it would be covered, but not if it is registered as a separate course.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.