Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Campus/Collegiate/Smaller Uni ideas

nacras · 03/10/2021 19:44

Hi - my anxious DC wants to go to smaller collegiate type uni. Keen on Durham because of collegiate system which makes everything less intimidating. However its 6 hours away. Also liked Bath but doesnt do sugject. Any suggestions of campus type Unis appreciated. Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

titchy · 03/10/2021 19:46

York and Lancaster are campuses that have a collegiate system.

Kent, UEA and Exeter campus based in small towns though no college system.

Please
or

xmasdealhunter · 03/10/2021 19:46

what subject does he want to do and whereabouts are you based (in terms of what is too far away)

Please
or

Treeoutside · 03/10/2021 19:48

I don't think York and Lancaster have actual colleges?

Please
or

ruthieness · 03/10/2021 19:50

Royal Holloway?

Please
or

nacras · 03/10/2021 20:11

Thanks!
@xmasdealhunter - we are South coast hence distance to Durham. Looking at Geo/Geoscience

OP's posts:
Please
or

xmasdealhunter · 03/10/2021 20:25

Lincoln Uni might be worth a look, I'm not sure if it does his course but it's a smaller uni and not as far as Durham. Lancaster Uni also might be worth a look ( its a collegiate uni )

Please
or

BreadInCaptivity · 03/10/2021 20:32

@Treeoutside

I don't think York and Lancaster have actual colleges?

It depends what you mean.

Lancaster has colleges that provide pastoral care, accommodation and in some cases catered dining (I think 3 offer this option).

Each college has its own social space bar/games room/common room and some have music rooms.

Also has geoscience courses.

Just dropped my DS off there today :-)

It's a campus Uni and has great facilities on site (everything from bakeries, restaurants, hairdressers and food store).
Please
or

Pumpkintopf · 03/10/2021 20:34

Reading is based around a central lake so very much a campus and some halls are catered.

Please
or

BreadInCaptivity · 03/10/2021 20:40

Just to add OP we chose Lancaster as DS is quite shy/introverted.

We were worried about today but he was fine.

The accommodation is fab.

In his college they have buildings that contain 8 flats - 2 per floor.

Each house 8 students - all en-suite rooms (great for a child who values privacy) with a shared (large) kitchen/diner.

As a start it was great because he just had to meet his flat mates and everyone was super friendly.

So it's quite "small" as you have flat, building, college, university which makes it far less overwhelming.

Everything was super organised today and everyone incredibly welcoming and friendly.

In his college the bar and common room is fabulous, plus his has in college dining with a big dining hall and you can book out dedicated music rooms with pianos/drums etc etc.

Please
or

Ruthietuthie · 03/10/2021 20:42

Earth sciences or geology at Oxford? Earth sciences at Cambridge?

Please
or

Three0fivepointfour · 03/10/2021 20:47

www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/geography-bsc-hons

Of interest? Maybe still a bit of a pain to get too from South Coast, but if you were looking at Bath anyway it’s not much difference.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 03/10/2021 21:16

Looking at accredited courses for that subject, I would look at Exeter or Bristol if he’s likely to get the A levels required for Durham. Bristol has catered collegiate type accommodation in y1.

He should look very closely at course content because some courses are more engineering leaning so content and options might be more important than small university. I think course size and type of accommodation keeps a university feeling small even if it isn’t! Sometimes everyone on a huge campus actually makes it feel enormous!

Please
or

cheesegloriouscheeseyum · 03/10/2021 21:17

York is a good option. Very good but smaller uni on a lovely campus. All students are assigned a college where they will have halls, JCRC's, college sports etc.

Please
or

fairyfield · 03/10/2021 21:45

Aberystwyth for excellent Geography/Earth Science degrees and a small university town.
Or Exeter (Falmouth campus)?

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 03/10/2021 22:10

Does York have this course?

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 03/10/2021 22:14

Aberystwyth requires BBB-CCC. Is this below his capabilities? Do you want universities which compare with Durham? Or will anywhere do.

Please
or

Fifthtimelucky · 03/10/2021 22:15

Surely if Durham is considered too far, Lancaster and York are little better?

Please
or

gogohm · 03/10/2021 22:20

I would suggest a smaller city perhaps, do choose courses with a range of entry tariffs to cover different eventualities.

Loughborough sprung to mind, campus based, small town 1 hour 20 mins from London. Nottingham I think is campus too. Don't dismiss living at home too, it works better for some students

Please
or

indigoemerald · 03/10/2021 22:26

I worked at Lancaster on a secondment for a while and loved my time there. There’s a really strong sense of community due to the relatively low student population and collegiate structure, and it felt like a very “wholesome” place! The campus was really nice too.

Please
or

leavesthataregreen · 03/10/2021 22:35

Bath Spa? Chichester?

If she's aiming for Durham, she might want to consider some of the smaller cosier Oxbridge colleges too. Could be a gamble but the tiny ones are very safe and welcoming.

Please
or

Kite22 · 03/10/2021 22:52

I don't know about the course specifics, but what about Exeter ? Small City and not to far.

Or you have Bournemouth, Southampton Brighton, Portsmouth, Plymouth all on the Coast (though I realis in travel time, moving along the South Coast can take forever, so, depending where you are, might not be any 'closer' in terms of time.

What about Winchester?
Or Bath is another relatively small City.

Please
or

Chilldonaldchill · 03/10/2021 22:54

A friend's son went to Aberystwyth for something similar - I think the title of his degree was Environmental Science but I'm not sure.
He had a lovely time. It doesn't have a collegiate system but I think it's a fairly small campus university so probably had a similar feel?
He loved it so much he's bought a house and got a job up there.

Please
or

SinoohXaenaHide · 03/10/2021 23:01

Exeter or Kent?

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 04/10/2021 01:33

Environmental science is available at lots of universities. The course this DS wants isn’t the same. Chichester and Bath Spa really don’t do these courses. They are not similar to Durham either. Courses recognised by the Geological Society should be top of the list and there are a few within easier reach of the South coast than Lancaster. Southampton is another option , as well as Wxeter and Bristol, but I wouldn’t dumb down on the course to get a certain type of university. Most university courses and halls are friendly. Catered halls especially and Bristol has these.

Please
or

nacras · 04/10/2021 07:07

Thanks all. Prob favouring Geog rather than Geoscience. Unfortunately had place at Ox for Geog which missed out on (complicated story). Durham geoscience was insurance but decided not to go at last minute primarily due to distance.
Southampton is closest & looking at that along with Exter/Bristol but everywhere else at right "level" seems a long way (North). Have discounted London as think too stressful. @TizerorFizztizeror how does Bristol work in 2nd year? thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.