Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Campus/Collegiate/Smaller Uni ideas

nacras · 03/10/2021 19:44

Hi - my anxious DC wants to go to smaller collegiate type uni. Keen on Durham because of collegiate system which makes everything less intimidating. However its 6 hours away. Also liked Bath but doesnt do sugject. Any suggestions of campus type Unis appreciated. Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

JulesRimetStillGleaming · 05/10/2021 22:24

I was going to suggest Aberystwyth too. The halls seem to be quite self contained from what I remember when my sister was looking at universities. She went to St Andrews but that's much further away than Durham!!

I went to Cambridge - small course so my teaching wasn't collegiate and actually most of my friends were from different colleges.

Please
or

MarchingFrogs · 05/10/2021 22:29

The University of Bath doesn't offer an actual 'Geography' degree.

Bath Spa does; however it only asks for BCC / CCC at A level.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 05/10/2021 22:45

@MarchingFrogs
Ah! I did wonder that after I typed it! It was a university that has been overlooked on this thread . Now I know why. Bath Spa wouldn’t really suit an Oxford/Durham student in my view.

Please
or

Piggywaspushed · 06/10/2021 06:41

It was mentioned by the OP as unsuitable, which is why we all overlooked it...

Please
or

Dobbyismyabsolutefav · 08/10/2021 01:10

My DD is a 1st year Geography student at Exeter and is pleased with her choice. She is on the Streatham campus her accommodation is 10 mins from lectures and 15-20mins walk into town.

Lancaster is probably too far, as you have said the problem with Durham is distance, but this might have been a good fit with smaller campus and collegiate system. I was seriously impressed with their communication after my DD had an offer from them.

Have you looked at Royal Holloway? Small university, impressive building and not really London so might be a fairly easy journey for you. I think grades for Geography was AAB.

Please
or

Calcite · 12/10/2021 22:31

It's not only the size of the university but the size of the department. Earth Sciences/Geology are not particularly popular disciplines so classes are small and everyone tends to be friendly and knows each other. Lots of lab and field classes help people feel they belong too.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 13/10/2021 08:38

@Calcite
When a student is at a big university, but in a relatively small department, how do they know it’s a “big” university? They cannot possibly meet 25,000 other students so how do they know it’s big when they are actually there? I often wonder why people worry about size of university.

Friendships are formed with other students and they will attend lectures etc and get to know other students as you describe, but not with hundreds of others. Just because student numbers overall are large I cannot see how this impacts on fitting it and thriving. It’s just a number and doesn’t bear much reality to life when you are a student because your circle of friends/subject friends is much much smaller, inevitably.. A tiny proportion.

Please
or

Fruitygal · 17/10/2021 11:56

Exeter uni has a Cornwall campus where it teaches geology and they have their own mine! Very compact and friendly with good reputation.

Please
or

berlinbabylon · 17/10/2021 18:44

@Hdhdjejdj

Honestly *@Mumdiva99* that is sadly bad advice. In a lot of industries, a huge amount is placed on which university candidates attended. I wish that wasn’t the case but it is.

Not so much anymore - Mumdiva is correct about employers being much hotter on diversity than they were (though they're not going to turn their nose up at the "better universities, clearly).

Lots of people I know who work in this sector get very frustrated at the differences in opportunities for graduates depending on which university they attended. Law is particularly competitive

Law is competitive, but you'd be surprised at the breadth of universities represented in my law firm's department. And no Oxbridge. Admittedly not a Magic Circle firm, but my DH works for one of those, and they are really hot on diversity. It's probably the small firms where the lawyers still use quill pens who only recruit from Oxbridge, Durham and Bristol...

Anyway a geography degree will make you very employable, regardless where you achieved it.
Please
or

Mumdiva99 · 17/10/2021 19:14

@berlinbabylon glad to hear. Equally anyone can apply to the graduate schemes....the applications are open on the firm websites.

(FYI I worked at one of the big consulting firms. I came from comprehensive school and a tiny uni college....I didn't go the graduate route but did end up there.)

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 17/10/2021 22:18

The university attended still makes a difference according to the IFFS. Their research still sees RG as conferring a salary advantage. Law has far too many grads and there are nowhere near enough training positions to go round. Especially for barristers who really like Oxbridge and RG! 90% when I last looked. Diversity is mostly about background. Not brains. Plus they are now recruiting more mature people who are career changers. So recent grads are in an even worse position.

Please
or

unknownstory · 18/10/2021 00:08

Nottingham is totally campus based in Yr1 and lovely campus. Great Dept got those subjects

Please
or

Fruitygal · 19/10/2021 21:16

@Calcite

It's not only the size of the university but the size of the department. Earth Sciences/Geology are not particularly popular disciplines so classes are small and everyone tends to be friendly and knows each other. Lots of lab and field classes help people feel they belong too.

I agree with this my eldest did Geology in a uni year group of just 35 and as a result very friendly. This was despite the uni having 21k+ students so don't discount the larger universities.
Please
or

olidora63 · 19/10/2021 21:21

Recommend Lancaster…my son went there and had a fantastic 3 years . Beautiful campus.beautiful countryside and the collegiate system worked really well . My son studied environmental science and is an ecologist..absolutely loves his job.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?