Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Can't do healthcare degree unless vaccinated

titchy · 01/07/2019 10:58

Interesting judgement from the OIA here:

www.oiahe.org.uk/resources-and-publications/case-summaries/fitness-to-practise-pi071901/

Essentially student was an anti-vaxxer so failed university's fitness to practice requirement and was not allowed to continue with healthcare programme. Although OIA partially found in student's favour because of the length of time Cardiff took to make the decision, but the decision was found to be a sound one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SirTobyBelch · 01/07/2019 13:35

The university should have made - and probably did make - it clear to applicants that the vaccinations were a requirement for completion of the course. We can't send students into environments in which either their health or that of patients is put at risk.

I'm in a medical school at a different university. We make the vaccination requirements explicit on our web site, at open days, in offer letters and in the letters that go out with occupational health forms well before enrolment. We also make students catch up with vaccinations within a month of starting the course. It does sound like Cardiff was very slow about this.

Please
or

AnthonyCrowley · 05/07/2019 18:30

Well even if the uni trained them they are unlikely to get a job once qualified. So why waste their time and money? I think the student would have more cause for complaint if that happened!

Please
or

BackforGood · 05/07/2019 19:26

All fair and proper IMO. They can't put patients at risk by practising without the vaccinations.

Please
or

BogglesGoggles · 05/07/2019 19:27

You must be pretty obtuse to think you can be a healthcare professional without vaccinations. To be fair you must also be pretty obtuse to be an anti-vaxxer 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

OKBobble · 05/07/2019 20:53

Seriously would you want to be treated by an antivaxxer healthcare professional? I wouldn't!

Please
or

TitianaTitsling · 05/07/2019 20:56

Nope! Would not want an anti vaxxer treating me!

Please
or

Tingface · 05/07/2019 20:58

This may be the very last corner of common sense left in the whole world.

Please
or

nocoolnamesleft · 05/07/2019 21:04

In order to enrol at medical school I had to be able to show that, in addition to the usual vaccinations, I had BCG and hep B jabs. In order to take up any of my jobs, I have had to not just tell them my full immunisation record, but also show titres of appropriate response to some of them. To protect me, and to protect my patients. Anyone not prepared to do that? Not sure they should be treating patients, thanks.

Please
or

ourkidmolly · 05/07/2019 21:06

Should be the same for starting school. We've tolerated this stupid shit for far too long.

Please
or

WinnieTheW0rm · 05/07/2019 21:17

what happens to those who cannot have some immunisations for medical reasons? Are they barred from some occupations?

Please
or

orangeshoebox · 05/07/2019 21:22

if that put them and patient at risk imo they should be.

Please
or

TitianaTitsling · 05/07/2019 21:24

Agree orange! Someone's wish to do job shouldn't be treated as priority over placing someone else at risk!

Please
or

AnthonyCrowley · 05/07/2019 21:25

Some people are non responders to the Hep B vaccine and they are allowed to work but have to have regular blood tests. I suppose maybe this person was trying to argue they could do the same?

Please
or

AnthonyCrowley · 05/07/2019 21:27

And indeed Suffolk hep b policy says any refusers will be managed as a non responder. www.wsh.nhs.uk/CMS-Documents/Trust-policies/1-50/PP(16)027HepatitisB-ProtectingHealthCareWorkersandPatients.pdf

Please
or

springtime12 · 05/07/2019 21:36

If there's a medical reason why they can't have vaccinations then they may well be exempted, however there will be restrictions on their duties

Please
or

AnthonyCrowley · 05/07/2019 21:38

There wouldn't be restrictions on their duties in any hospital ive worked at.

Please
or

TapasForTwo · 06/07/2019 01:01

When DD did a volunteering stint at our local hospital she had to provide them with a full vaccination record. When I contacted our GP they printed it off straight away.

Please
or

RedHelenB · 06/07/2019 20:35

They got 5 grand though!

Please
or

MadamePompadour · 06/07/2019 21:12

The 5k was compensation for distress caused by the delays in handling it. Sounds like if they had been clearer in the information given before starting and had reviewed the form the student completed before they started rather than a few months later there wouldn't have been any compensation.

Please
or

Lunde · 07/07/2019 15:35

There was a measles outbreak at a maternity/neonatal ward in Sweden a few years ago which was traced to an unvaccinated member of staff (she was too old to have been routinely vaccinated). So now vaccination records are required before people start their nursing degrees.

Please
or

2Rebecca · 07/07/2019 19:23

That's normal. If you don't want any vaccines avoid working with people especially immunosuppressed ones.

Please
or

RedHelenB · 07/07/2019 19:36

I'd do that for 5 k!

Please
or

dreichhighlands · 07/07/2019 19:55

There are some councils that don't let you work as a social worker unless you have vaccination records let alone a nurse.

Please
or

PantTwizzler · 10/07/2019 22:42

Common sense (mostly) prevails. Thank goodness for that.

Please
or

sashh · 12/07/2019 08:13

what happens to those who cannot have some immunisations for medical reasons? Are they barred from some occupations?

Possibly, and it is not illegal. An employer has to take care of their staff's health and that of any customers/clients/patients.

You cannot work as an air traffic controller if you have IBS, or as a pilot if you are deaf.

One person I worked with could not develop immunity to HepB, she was vaccinated 3 times. As a department she was not expected to work with any patient known to have HepB. Had she just refused she would not have been employed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.