Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

University Survival Kit ideas?

MrsMeow · 16/08/2018 16:05

Congratulations to all those who have received their results today :)

My DD is off to Uni of Liverpool and I want to make her a little survival kit, just a novelty thing to take with her. I was thinking of Paracetomol, can of red bull, Costa voucher, Greggs voucher...but can anyone think of anything else to add?

Don't want to spend a lot as she's already fleecing us for every penny Grin thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

JayDot500 · 16/08/2018 16:26

Multivitamins. A good umbrella (both times I went to Liverpool it was raining 😁).

Please
or

MrsMeow · 16/08/2018 16:42

Brilliant ideas thanks JayDot500!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fivechukchuks · 16/08/2018 16:56

A bottle opener and a tin opener. Ideally in bright colours so less likely to get lost? And yes to the umbrella

Please
or

Hizz · 16/08/2018 17:02

I did this for mine (known here as a care package).
A few printed photos of family and pets to pin on the wall.
Chocolate, shot glasses, condoms
I also made a first aid kit and included an emergency £20 note. He never found it Grin.

Please
or

Furrycushion · 16/08/2018 17:05

Berroca, tea bags, condoms. Miniature of favourite sport, or a can of ready mixed drink (eg rum & coke). Big pot of chewing gum. Lemsip for Freshers flu.

Please
or

JayDot500 · 16/08/2018 17:32

Lemsip! Yes! Grin

Please
or

Furrycushion · 16/08/2018 20:02

spirit

Please
or

Daisymay2 · 16/08/2018 23:11

Cheap PAYG mobile for nights out!! ( seriously)
Door stop - leaving door open means you see more people going past.
I also made a couple of batches chocolate brownies for sharing

Please
or

HostessTrolley · 16/08/2018 23:21

Toilet roll. Multi frame of family/pet photos. Funny mugs. Hot choc sachets. We bought dd a ‘how to speak scouse’ book off Amazon the first time she went up to stay with her boyf’s family up there - they thought it was hysterical

Please
or

MozzchopsThirty · 16/08/2018 23:25

I made dd a book with funny memes, recipes and advice from me Grin (like get tested regularly and if nobody died it's basically an ok day)

Please
or

Sillybilly1234 · 16/08/2018 23:32

Apparently you can download a useful list from the internet. I haven't looked yet though.

Please
or

Potentialmadcatlady · 16/08/2018 23:40

I’m filling a big glass jar with lots of things... sellotape,safety pins,needles, thread, nail clippers,tweezers, vitamin tablets, cold tablets, painkillers, shower cap, tissues, hair tags, hair clips, plasters, elastic bands, toothbrush, toothpaste, mints, Vaseline, hand cream, mini shampoos etc, disposable gloves, mini hand wipes, mini handgel, pen, pencil, sharpener, paperclips, string, some mini bags of haribo etc etc etc
Basically all the things I can think of that I normally get asked ‘Mum do we have any...........?’ daily...

Please
or

daphine2004 · 16/08/2018 23:44

In doing this too! Managed to get a power bank for her mobile phone (£4 from go outdoors a few months back in their sale). Hot water bottle, three plastic beakers, tea bags, multivitamins and will get some booze too, along with photos from home.

Please
or

IAmInsignificunt · 17/08/2018 05:34

Blister plasters, twenty pence pieces for the laundry and Netflix subscription.
Map directly to the Blue Angel.

Please
or

Furrycushion · 17/08/2018 13:14

My DS's launderette took a card that he loaded with money so needed £1 coins.

Please
or

fussychica · 17/08/2018 18:48

Some years ago now but we did paper plates for when the real stuff hasn't been washed up, a pair of mad pants labelled "if you need these you need to go to the launderette " , energy sweets, condoms, multivitamins, a pot noodle and loads of other silly bits and bobs.

Fun to do, fun to receive.

We also framed a £20 and attached a little hammer saying "in emergency break glass". It's a testament to him that he still has it on his wall untouched 7 years later God I can't believe it's that long ago. Unfortunately I think the note is no longer legal tender so that was £20 well spent not Grin

Please
or

eatyourveg · 18/08/2018 10:30

A meal ticket card Sainsburys do one and I'm sure that the other supermarkets probably do something similar. You put money on it your end and they spend it the other end - can't be used on alcohol. I had them for ds1 and ds3 and loaded it up from time to time so that they could buy treats. dm used them to send treat money too.

Please
or

Marmie4 · 18/08/2018 12:28

This is a good thread, like the idea about the emergency £20 and I am definitely going to make a survival kit now. Also the batches of brownies could help with making friends, great idea!

Please
or

Wolfray · 18/08/2018 15:30

Someone has already mentioned the thing I was going to note, but a doorstop! If she's a Game of Thrones fan, there are some great Hodor doorstops around.

Please
or

Serin · 18/08/2018 18:46

Check that they are allowed to use doorstops first, at a lot of Uni's they contravene fire regulations. DD had hers confiscated during a spot check!! (was a lovely tweed rabbit one as well).

Fairy lights are homely but again they usually only allow the battery ones.

insignificunt Ahhh The Blue Angel!! Remember it well from when I was a student at Liverpool (30years ago).

Please
or

MrsMeow · 22/08/2018 18:53

Thank you so much everyone, there's some brill ideas here that I'd not thought of!

OP's posts:
Please
or

387I2 · 22/08/2018 18:59

I'd skip "Red bull" and replace it with a first aid kit from the pharmacy.

Please
or

SingaSong12 · 22/08/2018 19:18

A fovourite handcream as a little luxury.

(More serious so not for this pack heard on radio about ensuring all vaccinations are up to date, this morning it was about measles and specifically mentioned students as a group at risk)

Please
or

NaturalBlondeYeahRight · 22/08/2018 19:25

Going to try an hide a chocolate advent calendar/blanket in the stuff somewhere, we like that kind of thing.

Please
or

MissCherryCakeyBun · 22/08/2018 20:00

Soft tissues for freshers cold
Alkaseltzer
Carpet cleaner spray. ( they always spill stuff)
Basic cooking instructions for pasta, eggs, jacket spuds etc etc with different oven temps as they will be cooking on different stuff to home
Washing up bowl. Easier to cart all the dirty cups and plates from your room in a bowl and also means you only do yours. My daughters shared house of 7 they all had one and it meant they only did there own stuff and the sink wasn't swimming in shitty water
Ziplock bags for food

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.