Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How tall are your sweet peas?

Muezza · 18/06/2022 13:23

I'm getting height anxiety about my sweet peas as its my first time growing them. They're currently just under 3 feet tall, growing up a metal arch, and I've spied few buds appearing.

Will they carry on getting taller whilst flowering? I was hoping they'd get a. Bit further up the arch. I also drove past someone's garden the other day with 6ft tall sweet peas so now I am in raptures of envy!

I've been giving them tomato food about once a fortnight, should I bee feeding more often? They've been getting a good hosing every few days. Is it easy to over water or should I just go for it and give them more?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RunningFromInsanity · 18/06/2022 13:34

My established ones have just reached the top of my 6ft fence.
I planted some new ones in a hanging basket in April to grow up a drainpipe and cover it, and they are about 3ft and flowering now.

They'll likely grow taller each year.
I water the ones in the ground occasionally if it’s been very hot, and the ones in the basket maybe twice a week.

Please
or

Paranoidandroidmarvin · 18/06/2022 16:35

Oh can we do them as hanging plants then? Do they just hang down and not need support?
Im still learning about sweet peas. But mine have a few flowers on and one I thought I had lost now has seed pods. Which I know I have to wait till they are brown and crusty and then I can harvest the seeds for next year.

as to keeping them alive my garden I swear is just one day away from everything dying. So I’m no help 😂

Please
or

RunningFromInsanity · 18/06/2022 16:51

They won’t hang down but they grow up the chains of the hanging baskets which disguises them and makes it look pretty.

Please
or

MereDintofPandiculation · 18/06/2022 18:38

They'll likely grow taller each year. The sweet peas that people grow for scent are annuals

Please
or

RIPWalter · 18/06/2022 18:40

Mine are about 1.5 feet, but I live on the side of a mountain in North Wales, so my garden is always behind most others.

Please
or

Robin233 · 18/06/2022 19:23

Yes mine are about 1.5 ft
Quite a lot of flowers though

Please
or

TheFlis12345 · 18/06/2022 19:25

Mine are only about a foot high but I put them in late.

Please
or

carefullycourageous · 18/06/2022 19:27

Mine are about 2.5 feet and just getting going with flowers. Mine are all in containers.

Please
or

carefullycourageous · 18/06/2022 19:28

I brought in the first few flowers yesterday and they smell great.

Please
or

Mossstitch · 18/06/2022 20:09

Depends what type they are some are not meant to grow as tall as other varieties🤷

Please
or

RaininSummer · 18/06/2022 20:30

Mine are utterly stunted this year for some reason. Perrenial sweet peas are a totally different plant but lovely too.

Please
or

powershowerforanhour · 18/06/2022 20:40

About 4 inches- they were pot bound and too late- and the slugs have made absolute shite of them.

Please
or

LieNoMore · 19/06/2022 11:00

Have 3 lots of sweet pea this year. pot 1 is about 4 ft, Pots 2 & 3 are about 3ft. Expected them to be much taller before flowering tbh, have just started to flower this week. They’ve been great in previous years.

Had everlasting sweet pea in my big planter which used to grow well over 6ft every year, until last year that is. They died off early (August rather than October) and Came back thicker and bushier this year!

Great I thought! but they died off again by the end of April for some reason before even getting a chance to bloom. It was like they were all out of sync with the weather!

I gave up on them and dug them out.

Please
or

ilovesushi · 19/06/2022 16:32

Mine are really slow this year. Probably about knee height. Not a flower to be seen. They are in deep pots in a sunny sheltered spot. Reassuring to hear it's not just mine that are slow growing.

Please
or

EBearhug · 19/06/2022 17:10

Mine are also rubbish thus tear, about a foot tall so far. I was comforted to hear that snow acquaintance who has grown them competitively in the past has also been struggling. Just one of those years, it seems.

Please
or

SissySpacekAteMyHamster · 19/06/2022 17:12

Mine have gone mad this yesr, 6ft tall at least. No idea what variety they are. Beautiful pink flowers.

Please
or

Tinkletwat · 19/06/2022 22:15

Mine were doing really well, used root trainers this year and they were up to 1m tall and flowering already but now the leaves are turning yellow and they look like they're dying. Any tips or are they for the compost heap?

Please
or

ArtVandalay · 19/06/2022 22:21

I have mine on an obelisk which is about 1.7m tall. I don't want them to get taller than this so I keep on lopping off the tops.

They were covered in flowers yesterday, so I cut them all for a friend and some for me. They smell amazing.

Please
or

MrsJamin · 20/06/2022 06:44

Mine are about 3-4 foot. I started them in a milk jug in February! Such a neat way of growing from seed. Remember to keep picking the flowers and nipping off the tendrils to keep it growing.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 20/06/2022 06:47

Mine are small but I did them late. They are an experiment this year, as they are the seeds from last years plants.

Please
or

LieNoMore · 24/06/2022 11:14

SissySpacekAteMyHamster · 19/06/2022 17:12

Mine have gone mad this yesr, 6ft tall at least. No idea what variety they are. Beautiful pink flowers.

If all the flowers are pink, and with the height of them they could possibly be everlasting sweet pea which come back every year. These ones and are thicker and bushier than annual sweet pea. The easiest way to tell is if they’re scented or not. Everlasting ones don’t have a scent.

Please
or

Decorhate · 25/06/2022 12:45

After many years failing to grow sweet peas from seed, I bought some seedlings of the trailing type & planted in wall pots. Very pleased that they have been a success & are flowering well. Not sure how much they will grow.

Does anyone know if you should also cut this type regularly to prolong flowering?

Please
or

Gherkingreen · 25/06/2022 12:49

I have some regular sweetpeas which are about 3ft tall and some dwarf ones which are maybe 2ft.
I always struggle to get them to flower lower down the stems but they've started to flower at the tops and are gorgeous.
I guess I should nip them put more when they're seedlings but I never seem to get it quite right.

Please
or

Gherkingreen · 25/06/2022 12:50

This is today's pick ☺️

Please
or

jevoudrais · 25/06/2022 14:13

Mine are about 2m. The taller they get the shorter the stems though. My stems were huge to start with.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.