My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

26 replies

LikeTearsInRain · 17/12/2022 09:26

Anyone planning to see this? Or has already seen it?

My friend saw it yesterday and said it was great and emotional.

I’m hoping to go today. 3 hours 10 mins long! Hoping I won’t need a wee during it.

Let’s discuss what we think about it

OP posts:
TrustySnail · 17/12/2022 09:31

Going today! V worried about the loo situation😂

OldTinHat · 17/12/2022 09:57

3hrs 10mins??!!!

I wasn't fussed about seeing it but definitely won't now, the cinema car park only allows up to 3hrs parking!

Twattergy · 17/12/2022 09:57

Yes saw it in 3D last night. A lot of visual fun, no real storyline. Worth it for the immersive visuals and sound. But could easily have been 45 mins shorter (and better).

TrustySnail · 17/12/2022 15:39

I'm back Smile. 3D visuals were excellent, especially when the action moved to the water, and everything aesthetically spectacular as with the first one. Lots of action, but the plot was thin and lacked the emotional impact of the first film.

Definitely worth seeing in 3D on the big screen but I think if it had been on TV I'd have lost interest.

My bladder made it through despite the water everywhere! Grin

TrustySnail · 17/12/2022 15:45

I was surprised by how quiet it was. Our cinema is showing it all day, but the showing I went to was the first one on their giant screen. I wasn't sorry as we had a completely unimpeded view and free seats either side, just thought it would be packed the first weekend. Mainly adults in the audience.

MissBattleaxe · 17/12/2022 17:25

I absolutely loved it. I've never CGI as beautiful or immersive. I thought the plot was good too with great climactic suspense scenes. The bladder thing was fine although the ladies loos were full at the end if the film. It was like being in a series of The Blue Planet crossed with Star Wars and Narnia. A true cinematic experience. Suitable for kids too with a 12 certificate. I was completely lost in it. Just beautiful.

TrustySnail · 17/12/2022 17:29

MissBattleaxe · 17/12/2022 17:25

I absolutely loved it. I've never CGI as beautiful or immersive. I thought the plot was good too with great climactic suspense scenes. The bladder thing was fine although the ladies loos were full at the end if the film. It was like being in a series of The Blue Planet crossed with Star Wars and Narnia. A true cinematic experience. Suitable for kids too with a 12 certificate. I was completely lost in it. Just beautiful.

You've nailed it with The Blue Planet/Star Wars/Narnia effect!

I was surprised it was a 12a not a PG to be honest, I'd have thought it was suitable for most children.

LikeTearsInRain · 17/12/2022 17:40

So I got back home a few hours ago it.

It was a good movie. Visually great. But agreed it’s overlong. Easily 45 mins could be pulled out of it with minimal impact on the plot and emotional impact. Some of the closing 30 mins or so were pretty emotional. But didn’t impact me as much as my friend made out it would.

I liked the whale type things however you spell whatever they were called.

Addresses similar themes to the first movie such as our impact on the environment, colonialism, multicultural society, war over resources. So have been a bit pensive since

OP posts:
lurkinglittleladybug · 20/12/2022 13:17

I was thinking of watching this, I was put off by the length of the film though!

Was it not as good as the first Avatar? It’s been such a long time in the making I had high hopes for it 🤔

MissBattleaxe · 20/12/2022 18:04

Well I have a very busy bladder and was careful not to drink too much before going and I lasted the whole film without any discomfort. I surprised myself as that was my fear too. In fact the film started at around 2.40pm and we were out by 6pm. I was expecting to be in there until 6.45.

TrustySnail · 20/12/2022 19:50

Yes, I got up early on the day and limited myself to one cup of tea before the film. By the time I came out I was parched with thirst. The joys of menopause 😁

NoelNoNoel · 23/12/2022 11:11

I’m giving a 6/10 because of the length plus the 3D glasses made one eye super dry and sore. I wish it was two hours long.
I preferred the first one.

NoelNoNoel · 23/12/2022 11:12

I did nip to the loo half way through and didn’t miss anything. I took in a litre of water and a can of fanta.

Hoppinggreen · 23/12/2022 11:12

It was ok, didn’t love it

Faircastle · 23/12/2022 23:19

Some of the reviews I have read made me wonder what people were expecting. If you are looking for a profound observation of human nature or exquisitely crafted literary dialogue then it's probably not for you.

I really enjoyed it as an immersive visual experience of an imagined world.

I intentionally chose the 2D version; I didn't realise until it started that it was Screen X (panoramic projection on to the side walls as well as the front), which I haven't experienced before, but it's the ideal movie for that format.

Sewaccidentprone · 23/12/2022 23:23

saw it last Sat. Not impressed. Thought storyline was cliched and predictable. And far too long.

noranoler · 27/12/2022 18:43

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

TigerDroveAgain · 28/12/2022 00:00

The special effects were amazing but the film generally was awful: could have lost at least an hour without noticing! The fight at the end went on and on, I kept thinking it was over but something else tedious came along and happened

Hattie72 · 29/12/2022 08:17

It’s 3 hours too long.

what I would like to know, is why pay for actors like Kate Winslett, when any drama student can act those parts.

TentoFive · 30/12/2022 10:32

Saw it yesterday.

Visually it was spectacular.

The plot is horseshit.

There are so many tropes. It’s a fucking festival of tropes. Jesus. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head as the next cliched storyline was rolled out.

And in competition with three hours of tropeville let’s also ram in some major plot points the MAKE ZERO SENSE. The whole film is populated with just a bunch of fucking idiots making a series of dumbass decisions with minimal consequences from which they never learn.

Wish it had just been an hour and a half of blue people cavorting about with sparkly fish. That would have been great.

Rawroink · 09/01/2023 01:50

Saw this yesterday, I wondered if it had a super fast frame rate as at points it looked sped up to my eyes which was peculiar

the plot was thin and looked a bit like a nature documentary at times

but I enjoyed it as a nice way to pass a rainy Sunday

Robin233 · 14/01/2023 15:35

I'm absolutely loved it.
Good plot and character development.
Amazing special effects.
Can't wait to see it again.

Chulainn · 22/01/2023 10:37

I saw this last night. I thought the last hour was good but the first 2 hrs were setting the scene and, while visually fantastic, were boring. The relationship between Jake and the main female (can't remember her name) was awful. She either hissed, cried or shouted. I know things were tough but there was zero chemistry between them in this film, unlike in the 1st one. Also, it followed the usual pattern of one kid not listening, putting themselves and others into danger but doing good in the end; new kids not accepted at the beginning but like family at the end. It was full of clichés. In the 1st film, I enjoyed the way they mixed up the scenes between Jake being an avatar and being himself on the planet, and his conflict over the mission. I felt the scenes with the humans were dreary and aggressive.

I thought the 3D was great.

I'm sure it won't be a surprise to hear I've no interest in seeing any more Avatar films again.

Jdjdntbhh · 22/01/2023 20:45

Shaving watched it I went back and rewatched the first and the cgi seemed so dated when at the time it
seemed so advanced, a bit like watching the first Jurassic park!

it is good and will be a returning favourite

Jdjdntbhh · 22/01/2023 20:45

Ugh having watched it

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.