Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How are we still stuck with tiny pockets?

132 replies

Jibberstanley · 18/10/2022 20:51

I’ve got pocket rage. Spent two hours at the weekend sewing pocket extensions in for pairs of jeans after weeks of not being able to fit my hand in, let alone keys, or a phone.

FFS. And these were properly pricey well fitting jeans, UK made, built to last and cut nicely. Lovely design, not tight but really well shaped for woman-shape bums and thighs.

There was no reason the pockets couldn’t have been the same size as on the mens.

Raaaaaaaage!

and breathe.

I don’t understand why this is still going on.

In the 80s I was grumbling about having to carry a stupid bag when my brother had pockets, or give him my purse to put in his pocket, and then he spent my money, the git.

But here I am at ridiculous age, having to give DH my car keys on a walk and keep my phone on my wrist loop because the stupid stupid jeans manufacturer can’t see why we want more than half a finger’s depth of pocket.

OP posts:
Please
or

catandcoffee · 18/10/2022 22:54

agree and what's with the fake back pockets in trousers,and the 3/4 sleeves on winter jumpers 😡

Please
or

Jibberstanley · 19/10/2022 07:11

Short sleeves - you are so right!

Is there a campaigning group anywhere?

I feel like standing on park corners yelling “Pockets for Women” and waving placards is an option.

OP posts:
Please
or

bobtheveryoldBuilder · 19/10/2022 07:12

Totes agree but also Uniqlo does decent pockets

Please
or

Icedlatteplease · 19/10/2022 07:13

Yes!!!!
I want a couple of smartish skirts with zip pockets!!!

Please
or

bobtheveryoldBuilder · 19/10/2022 07:14

Also complain to manufacturer. Name and shame them here.

Please
or

UnconscionableSnacking · 19/10/2022 07:16

I have a theory that if we were offered clothes with decent pockets, many of us would choose not to carry a bag around far more often. Reduced need for bags would likely translate to fewer bags being purchased, thus resulting in lower revenue for fashion brands that sell bags.

So there is very low incentive for the major brands and retailers to offer more or better pockets.

Please
or

MinervaTerrathorn · 19/10/2022 07:17

Trouble is that of the other side you will have the handbag people saying it ruins the silhouette or something.

Please
or

Rinatinabina · 19/10/2022 07:17

I was talking to DH about this the other day, when we met I would shove phone, cards, cash, fags into any available pockets I had. Flat refused to carry a bag. having DC changed that but have promised myself I’m going back to no bag asap. I need pockets damnit.

Please
or

Fizbosshoes · 19/10/2022 07:17

Me and teen DD get annoyed about lack of/fake/tiny pockets on women's clothes. However we were both very excited that her prom dress had extremely generous pockets and she had no need for a bag thankfully as the dress and shoes were so expensive

Please
or

PorridgewithQuark · 19/10/2022 07:20

It's because clothing manufacturers think women care more about how clothes sit on their bodies than practical pockets. This is also why we get crappy elastic/ lycra or whatever mixed into denim jeans. Your jeans manufacturers have missed on all fronts if they're not even cut for the female body though!

I'm not especially wide hipped so can wear Levi 501s (unisex). I know they wouldn't work for a pear shaped woman's body but I do have a 7-8 inch difference between my hips and waist and they work for me. I love the pockets and the fact they're 100% denim not elastic because they last forever and don't rip like women's jeans.

However I fill my pockets with phone, big bunch of work keys, tissues and often other stuff at work which is very practical (carrying a bag at work wouldn't be) but it does give a lumpy "look". Fortunately I don't care, but jeans manufacturers apparently think all women do/ should...

Please
or

FreddyHG · 19/10/2022 07:21

I have a theory it's supply and demand. There is simply, outside of the more committed (some would say extreme) end of the feminist movement only a small demand from people that actually wants pockets to put stuff in. Hence why pockets are fake if they are provided, my own sister in particular doesnt like using pockets because it misshapes the clothes.

Please
or

AHobbit · 19/10/2022 07:21

I only buy jeans with real pockets.
Yes, the choice is more limiting but I feel like it sends a message.

Please
or

MintyFreshOne · 19/10/2022 07:25

Counterpoint: men easily lose their keys and wallets because they place them in huge pockets instead of zipped up purses.

Also, I do actually care about clean lines on my clothes and how heavy things like keys will stretch the garment. So I won’t have pockets on structured trousers, but welcome them on loose dresses (no lines to spoil really)

Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 19/10/2022 07:28

I buy mens Jersey shorts in the summer. They are longer (knee length over mid thigh) thicker material and POCKETS. the ones I got this year had a zip pocket big enough for a phone. Really practical for my job.

My 9yo DD gets hers from the boys section for a similar reason (I want to climb trees and make dens, not look pretty!)

Please
or

Whatsleftnow · 19/10/2022 07:28

I suffer regularly from pocket fury.

I struggle to find my dd a school skirt with a pocket deep enough to accommodate a sanitary pad.

Meanwhile my ds has had pockets deep enough to accommodate snail shells, rusty nails and assorted rocks.

DH’s wetsuit and swimming trunks have a pocket ffs. I have to buy men’s hiking trousers to go hiking because my phone can’t fit in the pockets of women’s trousers.

I’m not going to argue about the merits of pockets in a cat suit or body con dress but in cargo pants and jeans just why?

Please
or

SimonaRazowska · 19/10/2022 07:32

I always think it is because women often don’t want bulging pockets, but carry their stuff in a bag instead

putting your wallet, phone, tissues, keys all in your pockets often does not look how women want to look (the bulging pockets look)

personally I like big pockets, and often wear men’s jeans. But I thought it was because women typically carry some kind of bag

not some weird evil conspiracy

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 19/10/2022 07:33

There are some practical differences though, and it does depend what clothes you buy.

I have some lovely big floaty summer dresses with big pockets. If I put serious things in them- phone, keys- they sort of swing about excessively when I move. I worry about banging the phone on a table edge, for example.

I'm very curvy. Things in jeans pockets don't work well. Back pocket is ok, but the fronts side pockets are at my widest point so filling the pockets would make the jeans too small.

What I love is a good coat pocket, an inside breast pocket, or a kangaroo pouch. They work great!

Please
or

tribpot · 19/10/2022 07:40

There is simply, outside of the more committed (some would say extreme) end of the feminist movement only a small demand from people that actually wants pockets to put stuff in.
This is not borne out by research - YouGov survey on attitudes to pockets. Clothing manufacturers are happy to assume that pockets are a niche issue for extreme feminists because it makes clothes cheaper to manufacture.

It seems necessary to state that no-one is advocating large pockets on every single garment, just actual choice for the consumer.

Please
or

Mabelface · 19/10/2022 07:42

The lack of inside pockets in coats gets me! The outside ones aren't deep enough either. I don't do handbags.

Please
or

Nishky32 · 19/10/2022 07:43

I will join your Pockets for Women protest, I will bring placards.

your brother spending your money did make me laugh

Please
or

Danikm151 · 19/10/2022 07:44

Even baby boy clothes have real pockets!
what do they need them for… dummies?

Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 19/10/2022 07:46

My pyjamas have bigger pockets than my jeans. Why???

Please
or

Etinoxaurus · 19/10/2022 07:47

I thought you all discussing Marion Keyes last night?! Very funny ranty rave about the lack of pockets, it’s to keep us in our place so we don’t scurry about doing sedition
😂💪
www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001d51w

Please
or

Fizbosshoes · 19/10/2022 07:48

Whatsleftnow · 19/10/2022 07:28

I suffer regularly from pocket fury.

I struggle to find my dd a school skirt with a pocket deep enough to accommodate a sanitary pad.

Meanwhile my ds has had pockets deep enough to accommodate snail shells, rusty nails and assorted rocks.

DH’s wetsuit and swimming trunks have a pocket ffs. I have to buy men’s hiking trousers to go hiking because my phone can’t fit in the pockets of women’s trousers.

I’m not going to argue about the merits of pockets in a cat suit or body con dress but in cargo pants and jeans just why?

Several years ago 2 male work colleagues bought winter jackets which were fairly warm but rolled up small into a small pouch, so they could put in their bag on the train. I liked them and bought the women's version. It was the same price but theirs had a hood and an inside pocket, the women's version had neither!
(I am petite so buying a man's one wouldn't have worked for me.)

Please
or

PorridgewithQuark · 19/10/2022 07:54

Whatsleftnow have you tried Meru and Fjall Raven (hopefully I haven't misspelled that) for women's hiking trousers with good pockets?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?