Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How much pain is normal running?

UseHerName · 31/07/2022 23:52

I’ve taken up running 5k a day on a treadmill. I warm up with a brisk walk and cool down with a walk, 10 mins either side and then run for about 30-40 at about 5kph depending.

my hips, lower back, left knee and left foot (ball) hurt. I’m stiff all the time now and my hips hurt, in particular my right hip. I do 10 mins of yoga a day too. How normal is this level of pain when running either on a treadmill or outside.

i think my forms ok. Before this I would have walked 3-5 miles a day and/or 30 mins yoga. I’m overweight unfortunately which is a recent development in the past year.

OP's posts:
Please
or

JacquelineCarlyle · 31/07/2022 23:53

I've never had pain whilst running, so it doesn't sound normal to me (& I'm overweight and not particularly flexible).

Please
or

Valhalla17 · 31/07/2022 23:56

Did you build up to this time/distance on the treadmill? How many times a week?

Sounds to me like you're doing too much too soon. You should do couch to 5k or another plan, so you increase time gradually and build up an aerobic base.

Please
or

LunaLemon · 01/08/2022 00:02

This doesn’t sound normal, no. I was very unfit when I started running and never had this.

Are you wearing suitable shoes??

Please
or

UseHerName · 01/08/2022 00:12

Interesting - I feel like my backs going to crumble when I’m running

Yeah I’ve got ASICS gel kayano as I’ve got flat feet - Ive had several pairs as i would have power walked 3-5 miles a day previously but then decided to get the treadmill

I do 10 mins warm up brisk walk increasing speed as I go, 10 mins cool down stepping the speed down gradually and 30-40 mins running at about 5kph in between

OP's posts:
Please
or

UseHerName · 01/08/2022 00:13

Oh and trainers were new in June

OP's posts:
Please
or

Goodnewsday · 01/08/2022 00:15

Some people just aren’t built for running and it does hurt I think. I’m running a marathon and other than my legs packing in or being sore from the day before, I’m not in actual pain while running, it’s just mentally that I can’t be bothered! Maybe you’re doing too much trying to do it every day. I also think on a treadmill you’re much more aware of every little feeling whereas outside with a podcast on I try to drift away and not focus on it

Please
or

justasking111 · 01/08/2022 00:15

What age are you, how overweight and for how long

Please
or

stillvicarinatutu · 01/08/2022 00:18

Don't do it .

I'm 50 . Was very fit and used running to stay that way since I was 30 .

My knees are absolutely knackered. From running. I've spent 6 months not being able to drive .
Find something gentler on the joints is my advice.

Please
or

PrixChoc · 01/08/2022 00:18

I would say you need rest days between your runs. Couch to 5k recommend 3 runs a week, and make a point of saying your rest days are as important as the run days. You can still do other types of exercise in rest days, like yoga or whatever. Obviously once you are an experienced runner this may not be necessary.

Please
or

UseHerName · 01/08/2022 00:19

38, about 2 stone, running every day for about 30-40 mins

OP's posts:
Please
or

UseHerName · 01/08/2022 00:21

That sounds like it was a tough time stillvicarinatutu - noted! Maybe I should go back to power walking outside everyday just - I didn’t think it would be so much of a leap as I’m so active anyway 😔

OP's posts:
Please
or

JacquelineCarlyle · 01/08/2022 00:51

It sounds like you've not built it up properly if you've gone from walking to running every day. Try something like couch to 5k to build up your running stamina, but walk on the rest days if you want to do something every day (but I'd suggest gentle rather than forcing it).

Please
or

Lastqueenofscotland2 · 01/08/2022 07:50

Running every day isn’t a great idea, and also treadmills are a nightmare for overuse injuries as the movement is so repetitive, outside you’d be varying to turn corners, go up and down slight hills, slow/speed up for obstructions etc

Please
or

Spudlet · 01/08/2022 07:58

Honestly, not that much. The odd little brief niggle maybe, but that sounds a lot.

I would step back a bit with the running and make sure instead that you do some strength training, work on your flexibility, and have a rest day every week. Strength training doesn’t need to mean hitting the gym if that’s not your thing - body weight training, like Pilates for instance, can be effective too. Rest days are also crucial to let your body adapt to the training that you have done - you really must have one a week!

When you run, remember that several times your full body weight is going through each leg when you land. It’s much higher impact than walking on the joints, and although that’s ok, you do need to let your body adapt to that slowly and steadily. Your heart and lungs will actually adapt to running quite quickly, but the muscles and joints take a bit longer, which is how people get overuse injuries - you feel like you can run for longer than you really should.

Step it back a bit, work on your overall strength, and build back up steadily, and you should be running pain free in no time 👍

Please
or

BeautifulWar · 01/08/2022 08:04

That's too much! Could you do something else low impact in between the running days?

Also worth getting a gait analysis to check what's going on when you're running.

Please
or

UseHerName · 01/08/2022 08:06

thats a good point about the repetitiveness of the treadmill

im asthmatic so I thought my biggest challenge would be breathing but it seems I’m fit enough cardio-wise but perhaps not in other ways

my feet are burning this morning (and oddly my hands too?!) - I think my illustrious running career may have to be delayed somewhat! 🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

PuffinMcStuffin · 01/08/2022 08:07

Do you stretch before and afterwards?
You shouldn't be in any pain, but stretching properly ought to help something.

Please
or

Slowgrowingelm · 01/08/2022 08:15

If my back is out and I haven’t seen my osteo for a while, then I have to go slow. Once I’m straight I’m good but running isn’t great if I’m ‘crooked’.

If I’ve lapsed (as I did with covid) I have to build up really slowly- particularly the older k get (late 40’s). I normally do 35k a week but I stopped completely and it’s taken my months to get back to 20kpw. If you started at 5k straight away, or didn’t build up slowly enough then you’ll have problems. It might not seem much but 5k is a lot on an unprepared body. If that’s what you’ve done scale right back and stick to 1k or so for a bit. Build up slowly from there.

A few years ago I saw someone and my stride was too long - basically the shorter and ‘lighter’ I was on my feet the more economical and less stressful on my body my running would be. Prior to that I tended to stride out and land heavily.

Please
or

Slowgrowingelm · 01/08/2022 08:18

Oh - and every day is way too much. Particularly building up. Running is amazing but you have to let your body get used to it.

Please
or

lljkk · 01/08/2022 08:19

I have chronic injuries to manage (or prevent recurring), and can't describe a symptom cluster like OP said, that happened to me from running.

My issues to prevent are plantar fascitis, patellar tendonitis, something odd in my knee, a chronic pain in my left foot, Achilles tendonitis. I wondered about OP having PF.

Please
or

midgetastic · 01/08/2022 08:28

If it hurts stop

Consider some yoga to increase flexibility and improve alignment

Sone strength building

And walk / fast walk only going to slow jog intervals where nothing hurts

Please
or

Happyandyouknowit82 · 01/08/2022 08:29

Dear Lord! Op NO pain is normal.
mi have run for 20 years.
if ever a twinge, then I address the twinge through intense stretching / resting then return to running.

Please
or

Passtheduchyonthelefthandside · 01/08/2022 08:34

I did this last year, ran every day in August. Absolutely ruined my knees. I feel like my joints have aged about 20 years. Since then I have put on even more weight. I want to get fit, but so difficult with injuries and pain.

Please
or

Happyandyouknowit82 · 01/08/2022 08:40

Based on the catalogue of limbs causing you extreme pain op whilst running - you are not remotely in a position to be Running

ypu need to address these issues, back and knees first.

i would do gentle yoga classes and see an osteopath

Please
or

AtomicBlondeRose · 01/08/2022 08:40

I’m getting back into running but you do need to take it slowly. I’ve been doing it for about three weeks and not even at 5k yet and I go REALLY REALLY slowly. It is a bit frustrating as in the last I’ve been a good, fast runner and it feels silly to be shuffling along but I have zero pain, no stiffness the next day, and it doesn’t feel grim or like a slog. I go up a hill and stop there because it’s open countryside- I switch my headphones off and just breathe in the air and listen to the birds. My times are utter shit but there’s more to exercise than just dragging yourself along for as long as possible.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.