Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

I did it! Finally under an hour!

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 12:15

My usual route for a good walk is 7.75km..and I've been trying to do it in under an hour for ages. This morning I smashed it πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I did have to do a bit of jogging (which I don't like) but 58.21!

(No one here to tell, so I thought I'd tell you )

OP's posts:
Please
or

Intellectualmalaise · 15/07/2022 12:17

Woohoo! Well done OP πŸŽ‰

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 15/07/2022 12:19

Congrats!

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 15/07/2022 14:39

Excellent, that's a very brisk pace for walking! Can we not tempt you to do couch to 5k?

Please
or

Yourheartwillleadyouhome · 15/07/2022 14:51

StarStarStar

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 16:20

emmathedilemma · 15/07/2022 14:39

Excellent, that's a very brisk pace for walking! Can we not tempt you to do couch to 5k?

Oh I constantly think how much I'd love to be able to run that far, but when I do try and just don't enjoy it.

I quite like walking (as fast as I can)

OP's posts:
Please
or

rwalker · 15/07/2022 16:28

Well done honestly you can run it . It's all about training properly people just set off and try and run this find it demoralising and injury themselves .
something as simple as 1 mins walk,1 minute brisk walk and 1 minute slow jog then 2minutes recovery.
build on this playing around with the interval times increasing working periods and reducing recovery .
going slow and recovering is as important as the fast bits .
have a look at couch 2 to 5k.

Please
or

MarshaMelrose · 15/07/2022 16:28

Well done you! πŸ₯³ That is a heck of a distance in under (πŸ˜‰ πŸ‘) an hour.
It's a fantastic feeling when you set a goal and achieve it and you obviously worked really hard at it to be put in a little jog! Walking is so much better for your joints than running.
Next, 8k in under an hour?

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 15/07/2022 16:31

Oh I constantly think how much I'd love to be able to run that far, but when I do try and just don't enjoy it.

Thats really common in people starting out trying to run too fast. If you are serious about wanting to run that far, you can! Couch to 5k is brilliant for getting started. It’s slow and steady and will take a few months but it’s definitely possible.

Please
or

Solosunrise · 15/07/2022 16:39

Well done! Is that a brisk walk or power walking that is sort of like running without the bounce?

Am inspired either way!

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 16:42

@Solosunrise I just walk as fast as I can. I started after lockdown when I was rather heavier and very unfit and have just pushed to go faster. I try to do 30k a week.

My average pace is about 8.20km/hr if I'm just walking

OP's posts:
Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 16:44

MarshaMelrose · 15/07/2022 16:28

Well done you! πŸ₯³ That is a heck of a distance in under (πŸ˜‰ πŸ‘) an hour.
It's a fantastic feeling when you set a goal and achieve it and you obviously worked really hard at it to be put in a little jog! Walking is so much better for your joints than running.
Next, 8k in under an hour?

Oo I was wondering what goal to set myself next.. that's a good plan, thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

trilbydoll · 15/07/2022 16:48

That's my running speed πŸ˜‚well done OP you are a lot faster than me!

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 16:51

I'm tall, I'm sure that helps x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Solosunrise · 15/07/2022 17:20

That's interesting. I'm reasonably fit just due to being generally active (help a friend with horses and shovelling muck onto the muck heap and pushing wheelbarrows plus the endless leading horses to fields and back!) But brisk walking with a goal sounds like a good step up. Might start tonight once it's cooler!
Ive no plans to run properly but i try to do a bit of a short sprint/hop/stand on one leg everyday just so i don't hit 60 (am 56) qnd realise I've lost the ability to do those things! Climbing gates too. I hope to be doing it still when I'm 70 πŸ™ƒ

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 17:23

I really can't recommend it enough. I am so much fitter (my resting heart rate is about 55) and I have so much more energy.

I've also lost 3 stones and 3 dress sizes, although I sorted out my diet too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

GuppytheCat · 15/07/2022 17:23

Mine too! Sometime I get to the heady heights of 7:30. But not for long.

Please
or

Solosunrise · 15/07/2022 17:27

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 17:23

I really can't recommend it enough. I am so much fitter (my resting heart rate is about 55) and I have so much more energy.

I've also lost 3 stones and 3 dress sizes, although I sorted out my diet too.

Thank you for posting your achievement. It really is an inspiration for the normal woman. I hope you go onwards and upwards!
I've lately become a bit 'matronly' so Ive sorted out my diet (2 weeks almost processed food free) and now i have the energy to step up.
You must feel amazing!

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 17:34

@Solosunrise I started by aiming for 4 walks totalling 20k a week. I upped it to 25 and then 30 and that's enough for me

Map My Walk is a free app that let me set that target and used my phones GPS to tell me distances, pace etc

I use the BBC sounds app and a pair of cheap Β£20 Bluetooth earbuds to either listen to the radio or some music.

I vary my route a lot so I don't get bored ( other than recently when I've been trying to do the route I mentioned in a certain time)

You still need a decent bra and shoes and I now wear running kit but you probably don't have to

Go for it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheBatwoman · 15/07/2022 17:36

Smashed it! Well done you πŸ’ͺ

Please
or

Solosunrise · 15/07/2022 17:37

That is so helpful @dolphinsarentcommon I was just looking at apps before irritating you with more questions. Can tick off bra and shoes so I'm almost set!
Are you going to aim for longer distance or greater speed next?

Please
or

SignOnTheWindow · 15/07/2022 17:49

Well done, OP - sounds like you've gone from strength to strength over the last few months! πŸ’ͺ

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 17:58

I think speed is probably going to be my next goal, but I'll have to run and I'm reluctant to, not least cos of my dodgy old knees

I also keeping telling myself some weight training would be good for me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purplepeoniesdroppingpetals · 15/07/2022 18:25

Bit inspired by you, op! I need to lose three stone too and as I’m off for the hols soon, will be starting the day with a walk. Used to run but am anaemic on and off and have developed a weird limp so am thinking walking is the way forward whilst I wait for my next (bloody) appointment. Well done - copying you from 22nd.

Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 15/07/2022 18:39

Well done OP! I can't even run 5k at the moment. I need to get back on the horse. I ran a marathon 10 years ago. It was awful and I'll never repeat it but I do miss the stamina that comes with regular running.

Please
or

dolphinsarentcommon · 15/07/2022 19:52

Maybe we should have designated walking thread Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.