Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Running post covid

lechatnoir · 09/04/2022 17:28

I had covid a month ago, nothing significant - 3 days of heavy cold/proper fatigue but gradually improved and by day 7 I was negative and felt fine. Where I am still struggling is getting back into running - I did an 8km on day 9 that felt quite tiring so had a couple of days off and dropped to 5km which was fine (albeit annoying as I was training for a half marathon so up to 12km quite comfortable) but then had a full on work week so struggled with time but would usually fit a run in somewhere - I've lost my mojo and not been out once in the past 2 weeks Sad.

Could be completely unrelated but either way I want to get back on it - any tips? Anyone else found it hard work post covid?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LordEmsworth · 09/04/2022 19:52

I had Covid last July and I still haven't quite got my speed back. Like you say, it might be coincidence - but before then I was getting faster, and since then I haven't managed to run as fast at all; and I struggled with the distances I was doing (not half-marathon but pre-covid, that was my intention to work towards it!). I am getting it back but slowly...

No tips other than keep plugging away, don't be too hard on yourself, and go back to your basics. I am having more rest days now, but I make sure that I don't go more than 2 days without at least a short run; I've focussed on hills & speedwork to try to get my speed up, and then started to increase the distance. As I say I am getting there but it is painfully slow I am afraid...

Please
or

Timeandtune · 09/04/2022 19:55

This is definitely me. Had COVID mid February and really haven’t been the same since. Have been out twice weekly rather than 5 times a week and can’t run without stopping.
Am hoping the better weather/ lighter nights will help.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 09/04/2022 20:01

I’ve been told to wait 12 weeks before running again. I’ve been quite unwell with it - mostly headache and tiredness. Cough was hardly anything and only a few coughs at the start but now, on day 14 I’m out of breath walking up the high street despite being able to run 10k and usually running 2 5ks a week at around 30 minutes or just under. It’s surprised me how much it’s hit me when I’m usually fit and healthy abs everyone keeps banging on and it being a mild cold. Mind you, my 95 year old grandmother only had a slight snuffle. It’s so weird but I hate hearing the minimising by those who’ve had it mildly and can’t comprehend it’s not the same for others.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 09/04/2022 20:02

I should add, I’ve been told to up my weight training so I can get back to cardio when my lungs are better. Swimming is also an option.

Please
or

sinpan · 10/04/2022 20:38

I had covid in August and it took me 4-6 weeks to get back my full running form

Please
or

EgonSpengler2020 · 10/04/2022 20:47

I am 4 weeks post Covid. Mild (1.5 days fluctuating temperature, fatigue, occasional cough) but ended up with ulcers in my throat after (which was a whole new unpleasent experiences) which lasted until end of week 3.

I have been back indoor climbing this week a couple of times and was fine doing what I normally do, and have been walking up the mountain behind where I live since the end of week 2. I feel that I'm ready to start running again, but it's the school holidays now, so not sure I will get much oppurtunity for the next 2 weeks, but a couple of extra weeks rest probably won't do me any harm.

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 11/04/2022 09:16

Standard colds will often hit performance for a few weeks anyway. I've found it useful to order a peak flow monitor to help guage the health of my chest.

An over-use injury is my main issue but I've had Covid at least once since Christmas so I'm having to train little and often. I can't tell whether it's loss of fitness or been Covid-related. Plus it's now hayfever season. My chest feels tighter than usual.

If you're needing to build distance but don't have usual stamina, try "Jeffing" with run/ walk intervals to reduce effort on breathing/ HR.

Please
or

Forestcantrun · 11/04/2022 21:37

Took me 10 weeks post covid to be able to run at all. I gave myself 2 weeks to get to 5km on my return to running. The really cold weather still flattens me but I'm back faster than ever now thankfully.

Please
or

lechatnoir · 12/04/2022 11:57

Thanks interesting to hear different experiences. I managed a 7km on Sunday without any set back and a slow 5km today so just going to tick along sub 10km with rest days in between until I feel back to full fitness. Very frustrating (& so random!)

Take care all

OP's posts:
Please
or

trailrunner85 · 15/04/2022 19:34

The key for me was pushing myself out of the sluggishness and not letting it "win." I was really quite ill with Covid but felt well enough to go for a walk on day 10 and a run a couple of days later. It felt hard but I wonder if that was to do with having such a long period without any exercise, and being pretty much bed-bound.
Anyway, I got back into my usual routine and by a month post Covid I was running long distances again, at the same pace I was beforehand.

Please
or

soulinablackberrypie · 12/05/2022 16:26

I had Covid just over a month ago. I didn't have it very badly - a slight cough and runny nose for about 4-5 days, no headache or temperature at all, but tested positive for at least 7 days (I didn't have enough tests to test every day, but was negative by day 10). I didn't run at all for over 2 weeks while positive or "might be positive" and the first time I ran again was a 5k distance which might have felt a bit harder than usual, but I couldn't be sure whether that was anything to do with the virus or just the fact that I hadn't run for 2 weeks. I'm doing a half marathon in late June and had worked up to about 17k before that interruption. Now I think I might be caught up in a vicious circle. I started out thinking I mustn't push myself too soon, but am probably losing fitness by not doing so - the longest run I've done recently was about 11k. I'm not feeling unhealthy in any way at all, just can't seem to motivate myself to bump up the distance again.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.