Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ankles doing my head in

Alysskea · 28/03/2022 21:11

I've been really enjoying running recently and it's transformed my mental health.

However the Saturday before last I woke up with Achilles pain in one of my ankles. Couldn't walk for a few hours.

Now for more than a week I've had pain in both my ankles if I try to run. It doesn't seem to be getting better.

How can I get back to running? Can a physio or PT help?

Any suggestions from experience would be great as I am aware this is a common problem.

OP's posts:
Please
or

xsquared · 28/03/2022 21:56

Have you only just taken on running or upped the intensity recently?

You may just need to strengthen your ankles by doing some exercises, the physio will recommend.

Definitely see a physio about it.

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 28/03/2022 23:08

Well worth going to a physio.

My achilles is playing up after too many races bunched up in the autumn and I found myself going from 13 miles and signed up for a spring marathon, to end up on a running ban. This month I've gone to building up little runs up to 1km to create a base to expand on when my body is ready.

Cut out high impact
If you can, keep mobile on low impact
Wear supportive footwear
Strength work (lots of online advice/ videos)
Be patient about building back up when your body is ready

Please
or

pleaseletmesleeptonight · 28/03/2022 23:24

Can I suggest a physio who will be able to look at your glute activation.

We always focus on the pain being from that area, and your ankles are letting you know something is up.

But it could be tight hamstrings, weak glutes or tight quads or hip flexors if you are normally sat all day can all cause ankle pain.

So physio and a variety of exercise could help.

Please
or

Alysskea · 28/03/2022 23:36

@BogRollBOGOF

Well worth going to a physio.

My achilles is playing up after too many races bunched up in the autumn and I found myself going from 13 miles and signed up for a spring marathon, to end up on a running ban. This month I've gone to building up little runs up to 1km to create a base to expand on when my body is ready.

Cut out high impact
If you can, keep mobile on low impact
Wear supportive footwear
Strength work (lots of online advice/ videos)
Be patient about building back up when your body is ready

This sounds like me though with less distance. Wasn't running at all then went up to 5/6k 3-4 times a week within about 3 weeks. I think maybe I pushed it too far. Now I am concerned Im going to have to go in a full ban for a while.

In answer to question from others - running I only started a month ago however for 3 weeks it was totally fine!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Fernandina · 28/03/2022 23:46

You've overdone it, and your body is telling you to give it a rest.

Try wearing shoes with a slight heel for a couple of days to take the pressure off the achilles, and that should help them calm down a bit. Lots of other good advice on here, and perhaps a sports physio might be helpful for you.

Please
or

Howmanydaysuntilfriday · 29/03/2022 00:00

Physio
Weights
Correct shoes
Warm up
Warm down
Hot baths
Ice
Rest
Ankle support
Moisturise
Legs up with a pillow when resting
Alternative sleeping positions
Run on different surfaces - tracks , concrete, grass, gravel, sand etc

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.