Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

C25k/running trainers help

SantaHat · 20/02/2022 14:47

I have been getting back into running with C25K and am surprised that I’m actually enjoying it BUT the biggest thing standing in my way seems to be finding a decent pair of trainers.

I am finding my feet need some real support and cushioning and my current trainers are leaving me deeply uncomfortable and prone to injury (which obviously puts me off running!). The problem is I can’t seem to find any trainers that fit and am feeling pathetically discouraged. My feet are relatively small (3 in normal shoes but take advice to go up in running shoes) and are very wide but with a narrow heel. On top of that I think I have a high instep and cannot stand how tight most running trainers seem to be across my instep.

I’ve tried several brands now including New Balance extra wide which are amazing for the bottom of my feet, but agony on my instep.

I am completely lost and discouraged and there are no running shops around me that I can get to. Does anybody have any suggestions for where to turn to or to try? Please?!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BuddhaAtSea · 20/02/2022 14:52

I have narrow heels and over pronation, I find most shoes hurt the ball of my foot. I found the holy grail for me: Brooks Ghost. I’m a 6, but I take 7.5 in Brooks.

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 20/02/2022 18:31

I find Saucony tend to come up nice and wide in the toebox. The Endorphin Shift is incredibly comfortable and cushioned and might work for you, OP - it's currently on offer on Sportsshoes too.

Brooks Ghost are great shoes, as a pp said, but not particularly wide IME. Avoid Hoka like the plague too; they're very narrow, to the point where their wide-fitting range are basically just normal for most brands.

Please
or

Ribenery · 20/02/2022 18:34

I can only run in Brooks Adrenaline. I need support and cushioning and they are perfect for it. I also have a narrow heel and a high instep and get metatarsal problems with any other trainers. I size up in Brooks (so am a 5 and take a 6).

Please
or

AuntieStella · 20/02/2022 18:41

If you have a branch of Runners Need or an independent running shop near you, go in and ask the staff for advice and try on loads of pairs

Also, have a read of this, because how you lace your shoes can make a difference to how they feel on your foot. I wasn't to hood my heel firmly whilst having more space down my foot, so I use the bunny ears/loops at the top

www.runnersworld.com/uk/a775705/how-to-tie-your-laces-for-running/

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 21/02/2022 16:26

Most of my recent trainers have been from Decathlon.
I rarely reccommend as the pool of size 2, stupidly wide, slim heel, high arch runners needing a stability shoe is pretty small Grin However my go-to shoe is the Kalenji Long Run which I upsize to a size 4 for width as I do with most enclosed footwear. Size 3 is usually avaliable too, a rarity in many brands.

Please
or

SantaHat · 21/02/2022 19:27

Thanks everyone. This is so helpful!
Anyone tried ASICS or Under Armour? Are they narrow?

OP's posts:
Please
or

xsquared · 21/02/2022 20:55

Hi @SantaHat, I own several pairs of Asics and you need to go up at least half a size as they are narrow.

I wear the GT 2000 9 for road running and they are very comfortable and well cushioned. However, I have done close to 400 miles in them and they have holes where my big toe is. I don't know whether it's the way I run or the material, but I was recommended getting this after the shop assistant spotted my shoes!

Sportshoes.com have some very good deals on at the moment, and they tend to sell out quickly.

Please
or

purplesequins · 22/02/2022 10:09

I have asics gel kayano as I have a high instep and tend to overpronate.

they come up very small, usually I wear a european 40 and need 42.5 in these.

Please
or

Bunny2021 · 22/02/2022 10:11

I second Brooks and going to a runner’s need if there’s one near you. I have a really high instep, narrow heel but wider at the front - brooks are the only trainers that suit my foot shape.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.