Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Preventing muscle loss

PagesOfSlime · 16/02/2022 06:54

I've been trying to lose weight since an I put on post op a couple of years ago. Finally weighed myself after a good 5 months and I've lost 3 kg since my first recorded measurement two years ago. I was feeling pleased until I looked closer. I've done a fair bit of biking and Pilates (suspension trainer, although I'm still quite rubbish at it); in the last year also hiking, trying to learn how to run again.

My scales do a percentage fat, muscle, tbw and bone.
bone is stable (2.0-2.1)
fat has gone from 22.3 to 21.3
Tbw 52.7 to 54.5
Muscle 38.1 to 35.8

I've no idea how accurate these scales or these calculation are, but they seem to suggest the majority of weight loss is in fact muscle loss Confused

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. What do I need to change?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RayonSunrise · 16/02/2022 06:59

I've run into a similar situation, and have come to the conclusion that there's little option but to focus on muscle building. I've started lifting weights with a PT and eating more protein. Can't say as I've lost much fat yet, but I definitely have muscles in places I didn't when I ran and did equipment Pilates.

Please
or

jeffersonsam · 16/02/2022 13:19

My small suggestion is please take some protein rich food items, especially cooked chicken. Doing weight lifting will helps to keep your body fit and also helps to muscle building.

Please
or

CovidCurious · 16/02/2022 15:17

Eat plenty of protein and do resistance training.

Also, ignore those scales. They are notoriously inaccurate. Measurements, the mirror and photographs are far more trustworthy.

Please
or

lljkk · 19/02/2022 20:54

Fatter people do carry more muscle than thin people doing same level of activity, just to move their mass around.

2+22.3+52.7+38.1 = 115.1
2.1+21.3+54.5+35.8 = 113.7

You tell us how your numbers get >> 100%

Please
or

Chely · 20/02/2022 00:14

Those type of scales are not very accurate.

It's use it or lose it. Ideally you want to build some muscle and then move to maintenance level training once you reach a level you are happy with. Anything from bodyweight exercises to heavy weights, compound lifts give you good time:benefit ratios. You'll need plenty of protein and vitamins for building muscle.

Please
or

Ozanj · 20/02/2022 00:20

Eating low calorie + training causes the muscle loss. To be honest it should only ever be one or the other not both. If you train on high calorie intakes you will not only build more muscle you will have more energy and build up your metabolism too. For example i have pcos and hashimotos, my metabolism was shit, but with a bodybuilding plan I managed to lose weight, lose fat, gain muscle and strength, and look / feel better while eating 2.2k on training days and 1.8k on non training days. My calories never changed just the macros and fitness part of my plan did.

Please
or

Skala123 · 23/02/2022 06:15

Those scales are utter BS I promise you! Focus on how you feel and how you look!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.