Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Entered ballot for great north run - what next

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 24/01/2022 00:58

Hello

Long story short - I needed an ambitious goal to help pull myself together. So I’ve entered the ballot for the great north run. I am aware my chances are slim of being drawn.

I have previously managed (at no great speeds) 5ks. I am just building back up to this distance with c25k again.

Obviously a half marathon is significantly longer.

I am a shift worker which isn’t ideal for training but plenty other shift workers manage to run.

However, I am stuck for long distance training for once I finish c25k, I will aim to go back to park runs (unless working) but other than running the park run route twice I’m at a loss. I will probably look for some 10ks to do between May and August.

Any help and advice appreciated. It was rather spur of the moment 🙃

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 24/01/2022 10:46

Bump / I’ve now booked the Northumberland 10K for 22nd May

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 24/01/2022 11:41

Decided to use this thread as a training log if nothing else 😂

Planning to run 4-5 times a week (increasing from 3 currently)

Going to increase swimming from 1-2 times a month to once a week

Looking to add in 1-2 exercise classes a week, probably strength based, not yet decided

OP's posts:
Please
or

WishUponAStar88 · 24/01/2022 11:44

4-5 runs a week is a lot. I would stick to 3 runs and do your swimming/ strength training on other days. I find strength/ weight work really helpful with running and I like to think being stronger generally will reduce the risks of injuries. There is a 10km training app (similar format to couch to 5k). Good luck!

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 24/01/2022 11:47

Where are you with c25k?

I would be wary of increasing to five runs a week if you’re just going through that now.

There’s a thread on the exercise board with some of us doing that right now. Might be a good source of camaraderie?

Please
or

SingingSands · 24/01/2022 13:10

2 short runs and one long a week is my training schedule for any distance. Any more than that and you risk burn out and injury, and running injuries are a bugger!

Good luck - I've got a 10 mile race in Feb and a half marathon in Northumberland in the summer, and I need to get my running mojo back on track!

Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 24/01/2022 15:03

Thanks all, so helpful

@WishUponAStar88 I’ll have a look for that app

@PurpleDaisies I’m on week 7 and will join the thread

@SingingSands thanks, will stick to 3-4 as usual for now

OP's posts:
Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 24/01/2022 15:53

Please
or

xsquared · 24/01/2022 20:29

@Hdkatznahtw125sgh

There are plenty of half marathon plans available on the internet, but if you have a Garmin watch, they come with coaching programmes for 5K, 10K and HM.
Go to the Garmin Connect app and go to the Training Plans on the drop down menu to select a coach. You will need to be able to do 3/4 runs a week. They will vary in length and the longest run is usually the penultimate one of the week so that you can do a recovery run the following day.

Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 24/01/2022 22:02

@xsquared thanks x

OP's posts:
Please
or

FriedTomatoe · 24/01/2022 22:13

I've done a few half's and fulls. The secret is a good 5k and 10k time. I'm in my 40s and have a really difficult timetable with work and kids so for my last one I had to adjust my training programme from a 1 week to a 10 day cycle. In the 10 day stretch I had 1 easy run; 1 interval; x1 5k tempo run; x1 long run. Over time, I increased the distances. Also, if you do shift work and an intensive job make sure you have time to stretch and invest in a couple of weights . Good form makes a massive difference. If you want to chat a bit more pm me. I'd be happy to chat. And congrats for taking the first step x

Please
or

Freshprincess · 24/01/2022 22:31

How far are you from your local parkrun? I’m just over a mile away from mine so run there, do PR plus an extra loop, then run home to make 10k.
When I was training for a marathon, I often added miles before and after to break it up.

Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 25/01/2022 09:41

Well I’ve now got a mandatory work training day on the day of GNR so I’ve had to withdraw from the ballot

However, it means I can now do the Great Scottish Run instead, which is on 2nd Oct, and much closer to me. And allows an extra months training. I’ll try and do the GNR next year though as it looks fab

OP's posts:
Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 25/01/2022 09:43

That’s a shame. I’ve always wanted to do the GNR. I might aim for next year too and join you there!

Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 25/01/2022 09:45

@FriedTomatoe

Thanks this info is very useful. I’m an ICU nurse. Whilst I have a busy job I don’t have many other commitments so am hoping to manage. I actually already have weights but will make sure to actually use them.

@Freshprincess

There are loads of park runs within 1-2 miles of me, so that idea could suit me perfectly also. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hdkatznahtw125sgh · 25/01/2022 09:45

@PurpleDaisies yeah after my initial stress I was really looking forward to it, next year though !x

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.