Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Seasoned runners.. Basic basic advice needed

Forestcantrun · 26/08/2021 20:51

Hi all
I had some excellent advice regarding training early last year. I started from scratch this year due to being ill much of 2020 and have my first race... Half marathon this weekend. I'm fit, can run most of that distance very comfortably, have my comfortable running gear planned. I'm just nervous about very stupid things.
All advice welcome. Be warned, my concerns are ridiculous but please be gentle I am clueless 🤣
Your bib... Just 4 pins or is there some other way of attaching it?
There are water stops. Do they always be on one side or are they on both sides of the road? I don't want to be in anyones way but I don't want to miss a quick drink after the 10km mark.
I've been running with a sunblock I know I don't sweat into my eyes and have my normal non sporty sunnies which are comfortable. It's likely to be warm.
Few hours of podcasts planned.
I don't know the route but there's a pacer and lots of other runners so it'll be fairly obvious. I've watched the video and know the general area so I know when water is coming up and basically where I turn back.
Anything else I need to do? Any recommendations on what to eat the day before? I know what I can manage on race day so that's sorted.
Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

Verbena87 · 26/08/2021 20:53

Just 4 safety pins Yep, they often have them at the start.

Water stations vary but are obvious.

You’ll be fine, go out nice and steady so you can finish strong, and enjoy it!

Please
or

Forestcantrun · 26/08/2021 20:55

Thank you. I am aware I'm stressed about the stupid things but I'm looking forward to actually being in a run.

OP's posts:
Please
or

christinarossetti19 · 26/08/2021 20:55

Hi there.

I'm not sure about how else to attach a bib.

Water stops vary - in big races sometimes both sides. There's usually a sign (or stewards shouting!) to tell you a water stop is coming up and they're usually lots of long tables, so plenty of room.

Put some Vaseline on your eye brows to stop sun screen and sweat running into your eyes.

General rule of thumb is not to do anything 'different' before a race, so just eat and drink what you usually would the day before a long run.

Good luck and enjoy!

Please
or

OverByYer · 26/08/2021 20:59

Hi. Yes 4 pins one in each corner.
I normally have a running belt with jelly beans and a small pot of Vaseline in.
Drinks stations vary by race. Some are both sides , some one bit you’ll see. Be selfish and veeer across of you need to. I find it better to walk and get a food drink rather than run, sip and throw.
I have my normal breakfast on the day but early.
Night before normally pasta or steak and jacket spud.
Good luck and how exciting to ne running w proper race

Please
or

UpHillandDownAle · 26/08/2021 20:59

When doing a half marathon distance, I put something (Vaseline, epiderm, anti Chaff stick etc) all over my foot and between toes before putting socks on. Feels yucky till the socks are on but I’ve never had a sore spot or blister since doing it. Good luck! Have a lovely time. Everyone running it has had their first run at some point so people around you will help you out if you want to clarify something. I’ve always met some lovely people to chat with at the start line

Please
or

OverByYer · 26/08/2021 21:00

Good drink not food drink

Please
or

GailLondon · 26/08/2021 21:00

Good luck for the weekend!! You’ll be great!

How big is the race? Unless it’s very small you will be totally fine to not worry about the route and just follow everyone around.

Water stops can vary from race to race, it’s most likely that they will be on one side of the road only (unless a v big event), but hopefully you will see them coming with plenty of time to move over.

Safety pins are what most people use to attach their bibs, I like to have it down quite low on my top under my running belt.

I would eat a normal dinner before, with a decent helping of carbs, whatever you are used to eating (rice/potatoes/pasta) and keep it fairly plain if you are prone to a sensitive stomach at all. But no need to over stuff yourself or you will just feel sluggish the next day

Following a pacer can be great for making sure you don’t rush off too fast and burn out!

Look forward to hearing how you get on!

Please
or

Forestcantrun · 26/08/2021 21:10

Thank you everyone. So much excellent advice. I'll pick up vaseline tomorrow.
It has taken me all 6 months to be able to manage eating anything before a run so I'm having a slice of toast very early and will stick to a fairly plain diet the day before but plenty of water.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OverByYer · 26/08/2021 21:20

Maybe have toast as normal and a banana half a hour before the start? I’m almost jealous it’s been so long since I did a half

Please
or

GloriaSilver · 26/08/2021 21:23

4 safety pins, sometimes they even have them before the run. Water stops are usually on both sides of road so on your left as you run. Never seen anyone crossing to get to water personally.
You can actually buy special bib pins if you got really into it!

Please
or

Mrsdoubtfireswig · 27/08/2021 14:22

Yep 4 pins one in each corner. Water stations in our races are usually on the left hand side.

For a half, I’d have a couple of carby meals in the week before, abs the night before I always have something like pasta and chicken / baked potato etc. On the morning I eat breakfast very early

I did read something once about trying to go to bed an hour earlier in the week before too - just to maximise rest

I always stick a small pack of jelly babies in my waist bag for after 10 miles, and plan a very nice lunch for afterwards or takeaway for tea ! Good luck

Please
or

TheWholeWorld · 27/08/2021 14:27

Have a great race OP!

Water stops are usually every 3 miles for the longer races and there will be mile markers so you'll know when one is coming up.

Don't worry about veering across, there will be more than one table or a longish row of volunteers handing them out so don't worry about getting to the side quickly, you'll have plenty of warning and won't need to dive to your left! I tend to pick up a drink and walk for a minute while I'm drinking otherwise I end up just throwing it all over myself.

Please
or

Hullabaloo31 · 27/08/2021 14:28

Good Luck!

Sounds like you have it covered, though make sure you check the regs on headphones. Most races don't allow you to listen to music/podcasts. The odd few will allow bone conducting headphones but it's a minority.

Please
or

Mamma635377 · 27/08/2021 14:32

A bit off topic, but I was really surprised in the Tokyo Olympics that the athletes weren't using some high tech way of attaching bibs, they were also using 4 safety pins, and some of their bibs were wonky. It just made me smile to think that some things are the same at any level of sport.

Please
or

Forestcantrun · 27/08/2021 20:26

@Hullabaloo31 I didn't see anything about earphones but that's a good tip, I'll check. @Mamma635377 I did notice that too but then thought they were glued on or something 🤣 I was disturbed by the shambles at their water stations.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Forestcantrun · 29/08/2021 16:37

Thanks all. I came in at under 2hrs 7 was well hydrated and mostly enjoyed it very much.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RestingPandaFace · 29/08/2021 16:53

Well done!

Please
or

Hullabaloo31 · 03/09/2021 11:27

That's great for a first one! You'll get to sub 2 fairly easily!

Please
or

Forestcantrun · 05/09/2021 18:37

Thank you both. @Hullabaloo31 that's my aim. Have booked no 2 for 11 weeks time and in the interim a few 10km races just to speed me up a bit.
That really boosted my confidence and having a crowd just cheering everyone was lovely.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.