Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

10k time 48:49 what could I achieve with focused training?

ExpressDelivery · 14/08/2021 08:18

I'm 51, been running fairly consistently 4-5 a week for about 15 years, about 35 miles pw and this is my time from race this week.
Currently I do two easy runs of about 7 miles, one long run 10-12 miles, a fast parkrun and a reps session (although this is the one that gets dropped if I'm short of time).

I have another race in 12 weeks time. If I follow a proper "advanced" training plan, increasing to 6 times a week, bringing mileage to about 50 miles to include more progressive reps and tempo runs, eat properly etc, what do you think is a good target time?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ExpressDelivery · 14/08/2021 08:25

Oh and I know I should do some strength training, but I find it really boring. If anyone can narrow it down to a handful of exercises that make most difference, that would be great.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HavelockVetinari · 14/08/2021 10:21

Do some HIIT and sprint training, that'll help bring it down, and will be better for your knees than loads of runs at 51.

Please
or

lljkk · 14/08/2021 13:18

No advice, just respect. My pace is almost literally 2x yours.

Please
or

ExpressDelivery · 14/08/2021 13:47

@HavelockVetinari

Do some HIIT and sprint training, that'll help bring it down, and will be better for your knees than loads of runs at 51.

I don't know actually, the high intensity stuff feels like it carries high injury risk, at my age, to me.
OP's posts:
Please
or

fellrunner85 · 14/08/2021 17:18

Really hard to say without knowing your history and how long you've been running at that level.

If you've been training in the way you outline, and running sub 50 10ks for years without getting much faster, then tweaking your training isn't going to have as much effect as it would on someone who has come to that level fairly recently. It's therefore impossible to say if a sub 45 is realistic or not.

That said, IME it's the reps session that is going to improve your times the most, so I would make sure that's the session that isn't dropped. I would focus on short, hard, reps (say 400m) to really push that sharp end of your running.

As you'll be well aware, the gains are much harder when you get faster. I went from a 60 min 10k to a 50 min one very easily; getting sub 45 was a bit harder; and sub 40 now feels impossible! Grin

Please
or

Iggly · 14/08/2021 17:21

What are you aiming for? That’s a very good time. Tbh just focus on speed work - so turn one of your 7 mile runs into a temp run/intervals instead.

For strength training - try doing a one minute plank before bed or when you first wake up. Some squats when you brush your teeth. Lunges while you wait for a kettle to boil.

Please
or

ExpressDelivery · 14/08/2021 17:32

I don't know what time to aim for, that's what I'm pondering. I've been running regularly, but not particularly competitively for about 15 years. My PB from way back is only a few seconds quicker than what I did last week. The only thing I can really say is different is I'm about half a stone lighter (BMI 21).

If I can knock a minute or two off (say it quickly, but it's huge) I'll start winning age group prizes at local races occasionally.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lastqueenofscotland · 15/08/2021 13:44

That’s very good!
Not trying to piss on your chips… but I haven’t really got faster in the last 7 years regardless of what training i’ve done Blush
The serious fast people I know do insane sessions… 3x5k, 10x1 mile etc… I’ve no inclination to do that.
I think you might see a bit of improvement but as you already have a structured programme with the three pillars - long, session, tempo, you might not drink groundbreaking improvements

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 15/08/2021 18:24

I'm at a similar level, in that in the last couple of years I've just started winning age cat prizes in local races. The key for me was specific training, as general "just run more" doesn't work at that level, as it does when you're starting out.

A few years ago, when I was a new runner, I could up my mileage and get quicker over all distances. But that doesn't work any more - in fact the opposite. Marathon training tends to make me slower!

If it's a 10k you're training for, you need strength work and speed sessions, with lots of short hard reps.

Please
or

Delatron · 25/08/2021 21:36

I think the speed work session (so intervals etc) is the most important so don’t drop this one if you’re short on time, drop one of the others.

What’s your 5k park run time?

What’s worked for me is slowing down on long runs and easy runs. Then pushing it in the spped work. So intervals, hill training, tempo runs.
But I’m very strict with the 80:20 rule. So 80% easy 20% hard.

Could the park run every week be having a detrimental effect? I wouldn’t be able to race 5k every week.

I do think gains are hard when you get faster too.

Please
or

Noseylittlemoo · 26/08/2021 16:54

A few years ago I really struggled to break 50 min for 10k but once I did and believed I could run faster my times came tumbling down. At the time I increased the distance of long runs, went to track (intervals ) and parkrun religiously every week. Within 2 years my 10k went from 49 min to 42 min.
I don't think I could do that now because I don't do the track/speed sessions anymore. (And I was single so I could be more focussed and selfish with my training !)

Please
or

Bryonyshcmyony · 26/08/2021 16:59

My dh (very fast 10k runner!) says ditch Park run! Do reps

Please
or

TheOrigRights · 27/08/2021 20:56

Agree with ditching parkrun in favour of reps, hills ie the running that will make you stronger so that you can dig in when you need to.

Joining a club for intervals will help massively.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.