Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Upper body fitness when you have been injured???

Baycitystroller · 08/06/2021 13:04

Help! I broke my wrist in April. I am recovering but have been told no lifting weights for 6 months, or putting weight through it.

So how do I tone upper body? Previously on a good weight training programme using a barbell and a dumbbell. Also did cardio and hit stuff, burpees etc are now all out.

I can walk, run, cycle and even tone my abs but how do I stop my arms and shoulders getting soft? I have no idea.

Annoyingly my gym does not seem to have one of those chest press machines either.

Any suggestions welcome.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purpletoes · 08/06/2021 13:33

Are you able to swim? That should help if allowed to do that and strengthen the wrist again

Please
or

minipie · 08/06/2021 13:36

Could you get some of those velcro ankle weights and put them round your arm above the break - so you’re not using the wrist.

At the end of the day though you won’t lose that much muscle tone in 6 months if you are still using the arm normally day to day, if you had good muscle development before hand it will come back quickly.

Please
or

Baycitystroller · 08/06/2021 13:56

Thanks! The weights are a good idea. As is swimming…..though I don’t love it tbh!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Spodge · 08/06/2021 17:44

Zercher squats will involve some arm activation.

You could probably do some row type exercises using a resistance band looped around your forearm. In fact you could probably get quite creative with resistance bands.

Please
or

nbee84 · 08/06/2021 19:03

Doesn't replace weights very well, but Les Mills body combat makes my shoulders and lats ache (in a good way) the next day so must be activating the muscles.

Please
or

Baycitystroller · 08/06/2021 20:51

Thanks for the ideas. I have found some resize bands and will start getting creative!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Baycitystroller · 08/06/2021 20:53

• resistance
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.