Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Back pain after first ab workout since having first baby

DisneyBaby · 11/05/2021 00:13

I had my first child last year in Feb 2020 and haven't done too much exercise since then. I tried a few class last year but my pelvic floor is f*cked so I gave up after a few classes. But since the gyms reopened on 12th April I have been going twice a week and really pushing myself. 2 weeks ago I did one session on the tues and one on the thurs and did cardio, the AMT machine and running machine and then loads of abs! (First time doing proper crunches etc since childbirth)...
2 days later and I starting having horrendous back pain that only comes on it the morning after I wake up and is excruciating in bed, but then when I get up and move around it's fine.
Has anyone had this happen post baby after they start working out again, particularly doing abs? Or could it be just coincidence and nothing to do with exercise?
I am waiting for a doctors call on Thursday but thought I'd ask on here in the meantime☺️

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ollinisca · 11/05/2021 02:29

Message deleted

Please
or

EdinaMonsoon · 11/05/2021 06:40

Low back pain can be associated with a weak pelvic floor & core. Essentially, all the strain is taken by your back rather than being supported by your “internal corset”. It’s important to build & develop strength in those areas postnatally but slowly & with intention. Pilates & yoga are brilliant for core work. There are a couple of online trainers who offer specific pelvic floor & core workouts which have a good rep. Lauren Gleisberg is one of them.

Please
or

timeisnotaline · 11/05/2021 06:52

Exactly what the previous person said- weak core muscles. I’d go to Pilates with a good instructor that explains well what muscles each movement should use. if you can find one experienced in postnatal Pilates even better.

Please
or

TheDaydreamBelievers · 11/05/2021 08:41

Yes your poor core absolutely does not need crunches (quite frankly they're an awful exercise for most of us and put a lot of strain on the lower back whilst targeting v little). It needs pilates, breathing etc work aimed at building those muscles back up slowly. Carly rowena has a video for post birth core and pelvic floor I think but the absolute best bet would be pelvic floor physio and pilates.

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 11/05/2021 12:23

Another vote for pilates/ yoga for the core.

Google diastasis recti (seperation of the abs) there's lots on how to identify it and suitable exercises (which don't include crunches which push your abs apart).

Please
or

IntoAir · 11/05/2021 15:56

having horrendous back pain that only comes on it the morning after I wake up and is excruciating in bed, but then when I get up and move around it's fine

DOMS? If you haven't done anything for over a year, then you went for it, you've probably done too much, too quickly.

As PP, crunches can be very bad for your back. I'd be wary also of planks at the moment - or do them on your knees, and work for good form.

Basic everyday good posture - holding your abs so that you walk with a straight & aligned spine, can do wonders for getting that corset of abs fired up.

Body weight exercises like press ups (from your knees) and squats also require you to work your abs, without putting horrible pressure on your spine.

Even just standing spine rolls, where you suck your tummy in as you roll the spine over till your head is dangling near your knees, are good. Think mobility and functionality.

And navel to backbone!

Take it sloooowly.

Please
or

DisneyBaby · 13/05/2021 23:59

Thank you ladies, I never really thought about yoga but I think that's a great idea to try and I will definitely give it a go!Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.