Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Short, fat.....and can't get out the pool!

Sewfrickinamazeballs · 04/05/2021 17:26

Ok, sort of funny, but quite annoying.

Started taking my daughter to swimming lessons. She loves it. She is a beginner. Due to coronorivus, parents go in the pool with the beginners. All fine. I'm not the tallest (5 foot 4), and don't touch the bottom in some of the areas, but a strong swimmer so that's fine.

The issue is, the area we do the lessons in is segmented from other areas. Your not allowed in the other areas of the pool with other lessons going on.....but the ladders to get out are in the other areas. The only way to get out is to pull yourself up and out via the edge. There is a good foot between the water and the edge of the pool and the water is up to just under my armpits at the shallowest spot. I made a right spectacle of myself getting out last week. I tried backwards and pulled myself out in a corner but it was really hard, not helped by my fatness, but access to ladders were never a problem so didn't give it much thought before.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a good technique to make this easier given the ladders are a no go?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tambourina · 04/05/2021 17:34

Poor you, that's not dignified and I really feel for you.

Google strengthening your core and do some exercises each day. You'll soon make progress.

Please
or

FishyFriday · 04/05/2021 17:37

I sincerely doubt you're the only parent struggling to pull themselves up on the side. You just don't notice it because you're busy trying to get out.

Is there a corner? It might be easier to get out there.

Please
or

Sewfrickinamazeballs · 04/05/2021 17:39

I did use the corner, but I struggle with it being so high to get out!

OP's posts:
Please
or

helpfulperson · 04/05/2021 17:42

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought you were posting from the pool looking for suggestions!

Please
or

FeistySheep · 04/05/2021 17:43

have never tried pulling myself out backwards, not sure it would work for me either!
have you tried forwards? Plant both hands firmly and push up at the same time as flipping vigorously with your feet/legs for propulsion? This is what I do. I reckon my feet do the majority of the work - I shoot quite far up, twist as I come level with the edge, and 'land' on my bottom.
Very annoying though if you can't find a way :( Depends why you can't go in the other areas - would it be possible to get to a ladder without disturbing other swimmers, ie wait for a gap? In that case I'd do it regardless of their rules and let them challenge you. They probably won't.

Please
or

shallIswim · 04/05/2021 17:45

You need to perfect the seal flop. It's not dignified but yiu kind of throw your tummy onto the side and let your bottom half follow. Don't try pulling yourself up with your arms.
You kind of slither up.
It's not dignified.

Please
or

Moltenpink · 04/05/2021 17:45

I’m 6ft tall and need a ladder to get out, I’ve just never mastered the technique! Sorry no helpful advice, just sympathy as I also have to get in the pool with my 6yo. Maybe ask the swim teacher what to do, they might make an escape route?

Please
or

scrappydappydoo · 04/05/2021 17:53

So my dd struggled with this - she was a very competent swimmer but they wouldn’t let her move up a group until she could get out on her own (fair enough -it was about water safety).
We solved it by going to the same swimming pool on a public swim day and just practiced over and over until she got a technique that worked for her. Could you try that?
I tend to do a few little jumps to gain momentum and then one huge jump, pushing with my arms and flopping on the side. No particularly dignified but it works.

Please
or

HopefulWashingtonImmigrant · 04/05/2021 17:58

Its not strength/weight, its technique.

1. Face the wall, put both hands on the edge
  2. Take a big breath (you float more with the extra air!)
  3. Push yourself vertically downwards, but leave your hands on the edge
  4. When you get low enough that you touch the bottom or have straight arms pull up quick
  5. You will be very light under the water and will pop up onto the edge!

(You can do a few bounces to get the feeling/more height!)
Please
or

Orangeinmybluelightcup · 04/05/2021 17:58

I did an fully swim course once that taught us to get out by sort of shoving yourself down first, so use your hands on the edge to push yourself under the water, then sort of ping yourself back up pushing up onto your hands, chuck one knee up and then just flop for it. Does work! Although turns out it's really hard to explain using words... Maybe check out some YouTube videos!

Please
or

Orangeinmybluelightcup · 04/05/2021 17:59

That should be an adult swimming course!

Please
or

Lostmyway86 · 04/05/2021 18:05

I feel this is inhumane! Surely they'd let you exit via the ladders at the end...maybe a quiet word with the lifeguards? I swim alot and certainly wouldn't be able to pull myself up having had two c-sections and very weak arms!

Please
or

Sewfrickinamazeballs · 04/05/2021 18:48

Thanks everyone. I'll try the front bounce method next time. I think I was just a bit flustered when I tried it and realised just how high the edge was. I think even with a good bounce, the gap between the water and pool edge is so big, I will struggle regardless, but thank you, some good advice here.

They stressed when we started to stay in our area of the pool and not mix with other groups, so didn't really feel I could go into another area to get out. It didn't help that the area I used to get out was right by the window so not much poolside to manoeuvre, but the other side was deeper, so much much harder!

Just another thing that COVID has made that bit more awkward.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheOrigRights · 05/05/2021 23:42

Sorry, it's late, but I am giggling at poor OP pinging, flopping & bouncing her way out of the pool.

The problem I have at the moment is that I (think I) have peri-menopausal joint pains in my elbows and I feel they might buckle at the crucial point causing my body to plunge back in the pool leaving my arms on the side - detached.

Please
or

WellTidy · 05/05/2021 23:47

What a nightmare. I am shorter than you and I would find this really hard in the same situation. If you can’t touch the bottom, and the side is really high, it is really really hard. I think you should ask if you can use the ladder in the other segment of the pool. Anyone with an injury eg abs would presumably have to do the same.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 05/05/2021 23:55

Its not strength/weight, its technique.

It's both, tbh, plus the distance up from the water to the edge... a foot is a lot.

Please
or

Stoptalkingtome · 06/05/2021 00:32

Cautionary tale: I once spectacularly whopped both of my boobs out doing the bounce down and up technique in a public pool.

Please
or

TopBlogger · 06/05/2021 00:44

Since when was 5ft 4 short?? Shock

Please
or

Sammysquiz · 06/05/2021 06:45

Oh god, I feel for you! I’ve never mastered the technique. I remember at school once we all had to swim across the pool, get out & touch the wall, jump back in and swim over again. Everyone else had got back to their starting place & I was still struggling to get out the pool Blush

Some great tips on this thread though!

Please
or

ComDummings · 06/05/2021 06:51

I would just tell them you’ll be using the ladder whether it’s near another group or not, there are so many reasons as to why someone would struggle to get out - weight, disability, size etc. I’d just sneakily swim down the length of the wall to the ladder.

Please
or

capercaillie · 06/05/2021 06:55

Would also use a ladder and just swim over to it.

I sometimes face out from the wall if having to get out that way. Hands on side and then push up - avoids the twist motion. It’s then slightly inelegant to get legs on side but not too bad. Am in awe of some of my swimming friends (the 6 foot ones) who can push out and get a foot straight on the floor

Please
or

wednesadaayaddams · 06/05/2021 06:59

I would go and use the nearest ladder when there is space to do so and tell anyone who might question you to bugger off.

Ask them how else you might exit the pool if you are physically unable to climb out?

Covid and stupid rules drive me crackers!

Please
or

MzHz · 06/05/2021 07:02

Just use the ladder

I’m a Masters swimmer and I can’t haul myself out of the pool on the side

Many people can’t.

I’ve recently got to getting to shallow end and jumping up facing away from the edge and landing bottom on the side and that’s not too inelegant

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 06/05/2021 08:51

I’ve recently got to getting to shallow end and jumping up facing away from the edge and landing bottom on the side and that’s not too inelegant

I'm 5'1" and can do that if the side isn't too far up but a foot would be too much.

I used to sail and have similar issues getting back into dinghies after a capsize... no possibility of a ladder and the ruddy thing moves! GrinIt does depend on power/weight as well as technique - I'd got quite good at hauling back in but then gained a bit of weight and lost a bit of upper body strength and was disconcerted to find I couldn't. More upper body strength never hurts.

Please
or

LaTomatina · 06/05/2021 09:00

I'm another one who would just use the ladder. One of my most humiliating memories is of being forced to do this manoeuvre in front of the whole class for a PE assessment and being the only one who couldn't do it (and how poorly the teacher managed the situation).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.