Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weight increasing with exercise

ipredictariot5 · 22/04/2021 13:00

So at Xmas my BMI was 25.5 and I decided to lose about 3kg. I have upped exercise doing a mixture of spin/ running/ HITT and for the first time regular weight training ( but only light 5-8kg dumbells)
I look and feel really good but concerned about weight gain.
Should I throw away the scales and just concentrate on how I feel and look or should I be trying to diet and still reduce weight ?

OP's posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 22/04/2021 13:25

Unless you're doing serious body building type weights then I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain from those activities. You can weigh more and be smaller in size if you exercise but as women we don't have enough testosterone to build large amounts of muscle easily.
The biggest issue I have is that if I exercise a lot more then it makes me hungrier and I eat more! I've never managed to successfully loose weight and maintain the level of exercise I enjoy doing.

Please
or

iamthesandstorm · 22/04/2021 13:36

Isn't the government considering scrapping bmi as it's such a poor indicator of health.

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 22/04/2021 14:45

Are you eating more than you were before?

Please
or

rookiemere · 22/04/2021 16:50

Have you checked your measurements and how clothes are fitting?
How much weight have you put on ?

Please
or

Totaldick · 22/04/2021 16:52

Its muscle mass. Don't watch the scales OP. You have said you look and feel really good so enjoy the journey and carry on with what you are doing. Well done!

Please
or

JackieWeaverFever · 22/04/2021 17:16

25.5 is basically normal range I say go for look and feel

Please
or

Hobnobsandbroomstick · 22/04/2021 18:01

I went from 54kg to 60kg when I started exercising more. Didn't use any weights, but my legs got toned so assuming it was muscle.

Please
or

QueenMabby · 22/04/2021 18:16

If it helps Iā€™m 10 stone (5 ā€˜ 7ā€) and still only an inch bigger in the hips than I was at 8 stone 10 due to starting working out with weights! Conversely at 10 stone with no exercise a few years ago my hips were two inches bigger than they are now! The number on the scales should always be only one (small) part of your overall picture.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.