Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do weight training and running on same day or alternate days for max weight loss and muscle gain?

Sssloou · 13/04/2021 18:12

I have just finished C25K and want to add in a weight training programme to build lean muscle to boost metabolism and keep fat down.

Running programme recommends rest days between - so can I do weights on rest days or should I do them on my running days? So I could run in the morning and do weights in the evening.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Insert1x20p · 14/04/2021 11:29

I wouldn't overthink it for now. If you're new to weight training, you'll probably build muscle fairly easily initially, providing you keep your calorie deficit fairly small and don't do a crazy number of miles. If you're going to weight train every day, just mix it up in terms of body parts to give time for the adaptation to happen.

Please
or

Sssloou · 14/04/2021 12:24

Thanks for that. I will stick to 5km x 3 a week for the foreseeable. And I have definitely seen change in shape in my thighs from the running (I have overhauled my diet and way of eating as well - but have done this in the past and not seen this shape change before)

Not planning to weight train every day - but was thinking just concentrate on core and upper body as running it seems is taking care of the legs.

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmmaStone · 14/04/2021 12:29

I'd probably alternate days, but that's as much about time availability as anything, I'd also make sure you're doing some legs too - squats, lunges etc great for assisting your running.

Please
or

Yay4spring · 14/04/2021 12:35

I don’t have the willpower to do weights at a separate time so I do my run and then rehydrate maybe eat a banana and then do my weights. Currently following Joe Wicks book 2 - 10 reps, 10 times approach. 4 categories, legs, arm, chest & back, shoulders.
Works for me but I’ve got significant weight to lose and am unfit following illness so anything is going to get me to a better place than I am now!

Please
or

Sssloou · 14/04/2021 12:43

@Yay4spring

I don’t have the willpower to do weights at a separate time so I do my run and then rehydrate maybe eat a banana and then do my weights. Currently following Joe Wicks book 2 - 10 reps, 10 times approach. 4 categories, legs, arm, chest & back, shoulders.
Works for me but I’ve got significant weight to lose and am unfit following illness so anything is going to get me to a better place than I am now!

This resonates with me big time. I have lost 1.5 stone and have another 2.5 to go.

I am worried about weight training alone and sticking to a programme. The running has been OK because you set out on a loop and have to get home - but I can see myself giving up on the weights - even though I know that they are the most important part here.

It seems that it’s a solitary thing that you do (not my best look) - eg a programme at home or go to a gym and use the machines? I would love a group or class option that was solely weight training.

Maybe kicking off with PT might get me on the right path?
OP's posts:
Please
or

GoWalkabout · 14/04/2021 13:01

I am doing Les Mills
Sat - long run
Sun - BodyPump
Mon - rest
Tues - Core/CXWork am and run pm
Wed - rest
Thursday - BodyPump am, run pm
Friday - walk
Les Mills BodyPump is relatively light weights lots of reps (I do 10kg for Squats, 5 for chest for example, but will probably increase in due course) but it's certainly working for toning and muscle definition.
The only thing I find is when am I actually supposed to feel good because a lot of the time I am achey on my recovery days and fatigued after exercise. I am hoping this will improve! I have been getting the odd running high and enjoying my runs more.

Please
or

Yay4spring · 14/04/2021 13:29

Well done. You’ve come a long way. Keeping the habit going is the most important achievement for continued success. So just like the best moisturiser for your skin is the one you will use, the exercise you will actual do is the best.

If just running works for you then my DH just runs and he’s lost the 2 stone he wants to lose already. He looks the best shape he every has and is really pleased with his achievement. He’s quite addicted now, mind, and thinks nothing of setting alarm for 5.30 to make sure he gets his run in on an busy day. His emotional eating is also minimal! He is also getting into the world of ultras so doing events gets him focused on the weekly grind of exercise as it’s the only way he will enjoy the event.

Like @GoWalkabout I love Les Mills too. They do Online and also a lot of gyms run Les Mills classes. Do any weights in whichever you can sustain: solo, online classes, gym, classes. All approaches gets you improved. I agree a PT is also a great option as it forces a commitment and they can also work with you and your form on an individual level.

I hope I am able to say I’m 1.5 stone down with 2 to go sometime this year. Well done on your success!

Please
or

Yay4spring · 14/04/2021 13:32

Ps Parkrun starts back soon. I love Parkrun. If you don’t feel confident running in public or at an organised event, then they always have a tail Walker so you can walk it - forever or until you feel comfortable running it. Parkrun are proud that the average time to finish increases year on year as it’s no longer a place keen, fast runners go but runners & walkers of all abilities and ages from 4 years old upwards can go. (Did I mention I love Parkrun Grin

Please
or

Yay4spring · 14/04/2021 13:33

The word “just” is missing - the keen, fast runners are still there but lots of others too.

Please
or

Sssloou · 14/04/2021 14:25

The only thing I find is when am I actually supposed to feel good because a lot of the time I am achey on my recovery days and fatigued after exercise. I am hoping this will improve! I have been getting the odd running high and enjoying my runs more.

This I suppose is the basis of my Q -
because I keep reading that the body needs rest days to repair and recover - so maybe it is better to double up on the running and weights on the same day? Although I can say that I am not stiff or sore the days after running.....but as I haven’t started weights yet I don’t know yet if I will be stiff and sore after this.....might just have to suck it and see.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Yay4spring · 14/04/2021 15:15

There is optimum training and then good-enough-training. I think good enough is plenty for most people and gives them what they’re looking for. Try whatever option you fancy trying next and it if works for you keep that approach and if you don’t like it, adapt it or try something else. If you want maximum return for effort then HIIT or it’s equivalents does that. PT could also help work out what that would be for you at your current fitness levels.

Please
or

Sssloou · 14/04/2021 16:24

Yes I am really looking forward to Park Run starting up in June my kids and DH already do it - and hope to join local Thursday eves running sisters 5km once my speed is a little better so will only have one other run a week to schedule.

It’s a good call to not over think and just get out there and in with it as I am the master procrastinator - and armchair expert which is an avoidance tactic!

I think I will reward myself with a PT for a few weeks with weight training which will keep me accountable and then see where I go from there online classes / local gym etc.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Iampicklerick · 14/04/2021 16:26

I was doing exactly this. Saw great gains psychically with strength, endurance and with clothes/tape measure (but not on the scales, I gained weight) until I trapped a nerve in my neck. Not exercise related, I was being silly at the park.

I will start again though, I felt amazing.

Please
or

Iampicklerick · 14/04/2021 16:27

Physically*

Please
or

CazSkids · 15/04/2021 12:25

I run three times a week and do weight training on two days when I’m not running in order to prevent injuries, rather than for weight loss. I also do yoga for core strength and active recovery, so I’ll do a 20-30 minute yoga flow after the run and the weight training, which helps with not feeling stiff and achey the next day. Walking also helps with active recovery, as it’s low impact but gets the blood flowing.

This is my week at present (similar to @GoWalkabout in fact):
Sat – longest run (about 7km), yoga
Sun – BodyPump, yoga
Mon – 30 minute walk
Tue – 5km run, yoga
Wed – BodyPump, yoga
Thu – 5km run, yoga
Fri – 30 minute walk

I’m also another devotee of Les Mills BodyPump – I did that and BodyBalance at my local gym for years, but now do it online instead. I really like BodyBalance for core strength.

I would definitely recommend having some one-to-one instruction on how to use the weights safely, as it’s easy to get the technique wrong and you don’t want to damage yourself doing it. After the first time I did BodyPump, I was so sore I could barely move, but you only need to get into a routine of doing it twice a week for that to disappear. It also doesn’t take very long for you to lift heavier weights, which is very satisfying!

Please
or

rookiemere · 15/04/2021 12:33

I've been doing online kettle bell workouts on Fitness Blender for free. I'd recommend not doing them on running days as I do ache after using different muscles. Mind you the ones I do are quite short - roughly half an hour max - so easy enough to find the time.

Please
or

LadyCatStark · 15/04/2021 12:41

I do both every day and I don’t feel like I need more rest days. You can do weights workouts on YouTube so you don’t feel so alone.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 15/04/2021 12:45

Don't exercise every rest day. It defeats the point if resting if younjst swop to a different activity.

Do the run, and then a weight session later that day. Often good to to it on the day of your longest or mist challenging run, so that you get max benefit from the rest the following day.

It's not likely to do much for weight loss (diet is so much more important for that) but it'll do you the power of good in many other ways

Please
or

schmalex · 15/04/2021 13:12

I alternate 3 x running and 3 x weights and have one full rest day. I get up early to train and I find it easiest to get up at the same time every day apart from Sunday.

I'd recommend doing lower body as well as upper as it will help prevent injuries. I always used to get knee problems with running but since I've started weight training I haven't had any.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.