Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shin and Knee Pain

OhWifey · 03/04/2021 07:30

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some advice from people with experience. I'm doing c25k and really enjoying it. But I've not been able to go this week because of intense shin and knee pain.
I've not run much as an adult but as a teen I was very sporty and quite a competent athlete. I had awful shin splints then and had to take time off the track.
I thought it might be my trainers. Currently using Adidas ultraboost after a gait analysis a few years ago. Switched to try Asics Gel Kayano but if anything they're worse.
Is there anything I can realistically do? Do I need to switch to cycling? I'm gutted really. I was so loving the positive effect on my mental health.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TangerineGreen · 03/04/2021 07:59

Hi OP, I would say you need to stop until it calms down.. cross train on the bike šŸš“šŸ» If this is comfortable then build it up again super gradually. How long were you out for with each session? Iā€™d start by trying to gently walk for an equivalent length of time... gives the bones time to adjust and harden before you build up to running. You also need good arch support in your trainers, have a look at your current ones, consider adding some in if needed. Make sure to stretch your calves this will also help.

Please
or

MeltsAway · 03/04/2021 12:01

Stretch & roll. Calf stretches are especially important for shin splints, and roll out your quads re knees, as well as hip flexor stretches.

They're not called "runner's stretches" for nothing!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.