Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Couch to 5K calves sore?

Gettingfit21 · 08/03/2021 21:23

Just finished week 2, shall I push through it or go on a break?

I’m really enjoying it but the pain in my knee and calf is uncomfortable wouldn’t say painful

OP's posts:
Please
or

TierFourTears · 08/03/2021 21:27

Sore when running, or sore afterwards?
I need to stretch after each run, or I can really feel it the next day.

Please
or

Gettingfit21 · 08/03/2021 21:31

it’s a bit sore when I walk as well, so it’s been constant the last few days!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pillowcase123 · 08/03/2021 21:32

Totally normal if it's a tight sore feeling rather than a sharp pain?

I find standing on a step with my heels hanging off the edge and putting my weight towards my heels really gives it a good stretch. Hurts at the time but really helps afterwards!

Please
or

Gettingfit21 · 08/03/2021 21:33

Yeah tight sore feeling. I don’t feel like I can run as well with it though, shall I just push through it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pillowcase123 · 08/03/2021 21:40

I'm no dr so if you're concerned maybe best to rest it/see a medic first?

I suffer with tight calves. I didnt know this until I started running but if I dont stretch them properly afterwards, I end up walking around with sore muscles and the back of my legs feeling too short for my height ...

I usually run through it, it hurts but it usually loosens them off for me. Again, I know mine isnt an injury though so I'm happy to do that. If you're not too sure, maybe best to give it a break first.

Do you have a foam roller or could you try stretching them for a few days and see if it improves?

Please
or

foodiefil · 09/03/2021 23:11

I started C25k on Sunday and my calves are killing me!

So tight. It did get easier when running though.

Going to try that step thing now - thanks @Pillowcase123

Please
or

ceeveebee · 09/03/2021 23:15

There’s a yoga video on YouTube called “yoga for runners” which I find helps when my calves are aching - basically a whole 30 mins of stretching which I try and do once a week
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hTllAb4XGg

Please
or

foodiefil · 09/03/2021 23:21

@ceeveebee that looks great!

Please
or

BIWI · 09/03/2021 23:23

Have you been stretching properly when you've finished, after your 5 minute cool-down walk?

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 11/03/2021 21:03

My calves hate everything. They take a long time to warm up... like 5k to quit whinging!
Most of the time it's a low level that I ignore and know is my normal. If it reaches the point where I am generally feeling them, then it's time for rest days/ gentler running (distance, speed, hills). Walking is good for recovery as it boosts the circulation through the muscles.

At C25k stage, have an extra rest day, walk, build stretching into your routine, warm-up well.

I like Mr Motivator's 12 min youtube videos as a warm up. I stretch on the doorstep outside when I get home so it doesn't get forgotten about. Adriene (as mentioned above) has several runner's videos and is generally good. Worth doing on a non-running day.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.