Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Running shoe advice

tizwozliz · 23/02/2021 18:19

I was hoping to be able to eek enough life out of the shoes I'm currently running in until non-essential shops were open again, but my shoes have separated from the sole.

Given these are 5+ year old shoes (in normal times I don't do a lot of running so these have been summer hiking shoes) a like for like replacement isn't possible. They were Salomon cross max like these

www.runningshoesguru.com/2013/05/salomon-xr-crossmax-2-trail-review/

I managed to get to Decathlon today and tried various styles of Asics among others. 5.5 too short, 6 were ok length wise but very loose with a tonne of room above my other toes so I think i can probably rule out asics.

I normally wear size 5 or size 5.5. Need neutral shoes, normally run on hard pack surfaces or grass not pavement. Long big toes, skinny feet, no volume (all sounding very attractive I'm sure!)

Does anyone have recommendations for brands/shoes I could take a look at?

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 26/02/2021 11:05

I would recommend you need to be in at least a size 6, because you need running shoes to have extra space around the toes (feet tend to spread, and just the mechanics of running tend to jam toes repetitively forward in the shoe).

But not all shoes feel the same on, and so I'm not going to try to persuade you to give ASICS another change.

Do you want another trail shoe? How much cushioning do you like?

Please
or

AuntieStella · 26/02/2021 11:07

The Nike Vomero (been around for yonks, might be able to get previous years colours at a discount) could be a suitable general purpose sort of shoe

Please
or

tizwozliz · 26/02/2021 11:56

I've actually got some Salomon coming today, not sure how suitable they'll be for running but I'll use them for summer walking if they fit otherwise so less risky.

I have a thumb width at the end of my current shoes which are 5.5. Measuring according to asics guide online my feet are 23cm, adding a cm still only puts me in a size 5 I think but 5.5 too small when actually trying them on so I'm quite sceptical about online fitting guides right now.

I have awkward feet, finding shoes to fit has always been an ordeal ever since I was a kid. On more than one occasion Clarke's measure me and declared they sold no shoes that would fit!

But thanks for the reply

OP's posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 26/02/2021 14:03

Have a look at Brooks Cascadia or Hokas for the type of surfaces you run on as they're trail but with a decent amount of cushioning. I would go up a full size from your normal shoes in both and the Hokas are probably better if you need a wider toe box.

Please
or

tizwozliz · 04/03/2021 13:53

Salomons were no good, got some other's on order. Was going to try some Hokas but don't seem to have the ones i want (ATRs?) in stock on the website (wanted to buy direct for the 30 day return option)

I was really hoping shops may be opening up in the next couple of weeks but sounds like it's April 12th at the earliest. It's such a pain buying and returning, especially if you're often between sizes.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tizwozliz · 05/03/2021 11:44

Another pair crossed off the list this morning - this is harder work than doing the running!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SerialRelocator · 05/03/2021 14:03

For what it's worth, I love my Hoka Challenger ATR shoes. Bought from sportsshoes.com. Sadly, there are rarely bargains in the Hokas.
I also have some Hoka road shoes but it sounds like you won't need them. The ATR are definitely a closer fit.

Mine are a size 7. My usual shoe size is EU40 so 6.5 (occasionally 6, depending on brand).

Please
or

AuntieStella · 05/03/2021 14:06

Yes, I think it is 12/04 for non-essential retail.

Wiggle have a really good returns policy, if you can face the online tussle again

Please
or

lljkk · 05/03/2021 14:11

What didn't you like about Salomons?

I have 3 pairs (or maybe 4) with soles separating. I just Gorilla glue or silicon sealant them back together & keep going until the situation is dire. No regrets yet. Mine usually fail on the near sides first, tbh (may produce exemplar pics in a sec...).

Please
or

tizwozliz · 05/03/2021 14:40

The Salomon's just weren't comfortable, couldn't really identify why.

I'd wanted to try some Hokas with their 30 day guarantee, but none of the models I want are in stock in my size.

I've now ordered two pairs of hokas (challenger atrs and some mafate something or other) and a pair of altra from sportshoes. Half the struggle has been finding the sizes in the models that look vaguely suitable tbh.

My shoes are destroyed round the heel and coming apart from the soul at the front

Running shoe advice
OP's posts:
Please
or

Chocolateteabag · 05/03/2021 18:46

Good luck with the Hoka's - I wear ATR's but the men's for slightly wide toe box
Once you know your size - you can stalk the sales and even eBay throws up a few bargains with "lightly used" options (plus some god awful used trainers - which must be for an entirely different market group!)

Please
or

lljkk · 05/03/2021 22:42

Ah, now that I see OP's shoes... my shoes are arguably more trashed than hers. I haven't given up on them yet. My trainers go quickly at the widest point of my foot, even when soles are still quite good too.

Running shoe advice Running shoe advice
Please
or

tizwozliz · 06/03/2021 14:45

The side isn't given me bother, it's just the heel where the plastic is exposed that's the issue. I'm going to try and tape them up, no success with any of the three pairs today.

Think the Hoka ATRs are either too small or just the wrong shape, it feels like my big toe is going to be hitting the corner of the shoe on one foot (i.e. the bit in red). The EVO MAFATE 2 are better, and if i had them from Hoka I'd try them with the 30 day guarantee, but not 100% convinced and think they're too expensive to take a risk with when I'm not even a serious runner. The altras are too big, but very comfy, as they feel like slippers, but think they're too big to run in.

Running shoe advice
OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.