Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone over 50 taken up jogging for the first time?

Chucklebum · 18/02/2021 12:54

I’ve been wanting to do the Couch to 5k but not sure if I’ve left it too late in my life to start jogging. I turn 55 in May. I have scoliosis and my BMI is 26 so in the overweight category. I have never done any formal exercise before. Just wondering if there were any late starters out there?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Coffeeandcocopops · 18/02/2021 12:57

I started just before I was 50. I joined a beginners running club. There are loads of us out there running. Have a chat with your GP first and then off you go.

Please
or

MonkeysandParrots · 20/02/2021 00:53

I’m over 50. After many many false starts, I tried again last year and completed c25k, aiming for 10km by the end of this year. My BMI is over 30. You are NEVER too old.

Please
or

EmpressPenguin · 20/02/2021 22:07

I started about 50, I have scoliosis . You are never too old, but you should scale up very , very carefully , because it's easy to overdo it and get injured and discouraged. But definitely not too old or too unfit.

Please
or

Chucklebum · 22/02/2021 13:03

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for quite a while but my husband has discouraged me, not to be mean but he used to run when he was younger and had to stop due to knee pain so he felt that a low impact exercise would be better for me. The thing is I get bored walking long distances so think running/walking for a shorter time would suit me, hence contemplating the couch to 5k

OP's posts:
Please
or

VanillaAndOrange · 22/02/2021 13:36

I know someone who took it up when she was in her early 60s and I think she can run about 7K now. As with any age, I think the main thing is to get good trainers. You might not be able to try them on in the shops now but do your research on what sort would suit your feet and the way you move. I know the Brooks website have quite a detailed questionnaire to help you choose (though of course their recommendations are all their own brand - other brands might do the same thing!)

Please
or

thisisyourwakeupcall · 22/02/2021 13:38

Join C25k encouragement on Facebook, there are lots of amazingly inspirational people of all ages/ shapes/ sizes! It's a lovely group!

Please
or

ElvisPresleysSideburns · 22/02/2021 13:51

I started c25k during lockdown (on a treadmill in the garage as DD is shielding and I didn't want to take any chances). I'm convinced it's the only thing that has kept me sane!

I was 50 when I started and always been rubbish at any sort of sport.

Now I run 6-7k every other day.

Give it a go OP. It's a great program and it works. Just take your time and if you don't feel ready to move on to the next run, just repeat the run you're on until you feel you can give it a try.

I just worked on the theory that ANY exercise I did was better than the nothing at all I was doing before. I got there in the end and I'm sure you can too.

Please
or

rosielicious · 23/02/2021 14:27

My mother-in-law started running at 67. She started with the c5k then progressed to 10k and completed The Great North Run at 68. She is still running at 73. Go for itSmile

Please
or

MsMartini · 23/02/2021 15:09

I started at 52, now run up to 14k. I don't know anything about scoliosis but agree with others about taking it slowly. Go as slowly as you like! I do other exercise as well - brisk walking, strength training, HIIT - and it all helps with running and gives knees a rest.

Please
or

Coffeeandcocopops · 24/02/2021 08:59

Some people that run when they were young will have dodgy knees. If you start later you should be ok. Just take it slowly. I started at 45 snd have been running for 10 years with no issues. It’s better than those doing nothing.

Please
or

Chucklebum · 25/02/2021 11:34

Thanks everyone, I feel very motivated :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

woodbeez55 · 26/02/2021 21:01

I started running in the first lockdown last year just after turning 55. I began by doing C25K and I can honestly say that I loved it, even though I've always thought I could never be a runner! I carried on for 8 months by which time it was winter and I also got Covid so I stopped for 6 weeks until I got over it. I still run now but only once a week while it's so cold and even though I did eventually get up to 5K (a long time after finishing C25K), I started to get aches and pains in my knees and bum (!) so I'm only doing 3K at the moment, but I hope to build back up to it over time. I agree with the advice to start slowly and build up. You can do it :)

Please
or

Dentistlakes · 27/02/2021 21:50

I started c25k just before I turned 50 and now run around 40k a week. I would say it’s never too late to start at all. The c25k program really works and you can repeat runs until you feel ready to move on. I would also recommend doing some strength training alongside the running which should help prevent injury. Go for it op, it’s totally worth it!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.