Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Trainer Advice: muddy trails/fields - Innov8 X-Talons or???

Chocolateteabag · 14/01/2021 13:34

@fellrunner85
Hi
Looking for some trainer advice for running on muddy tracks and across fields. I normally wear Hoka's when the ground is "normal" but following all this snow, some of my usual routes are going to be boggy/muddy for a very long time.
DH runs in Innov8 X-Talons, and I've seen some Innov8 OROC's in the sales. Before I order them to try, does anyone have any other shoes they can recommend?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chocolateteabag · 14/01/2021 13:35

Sorry meant to say @fellrunner85 - can you suggest anything - not just stick your name at the top!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedPandaFluff · 14/01/2021 14:19

Hi @Chocolateteabag - I like Saucony trail shoes; the Peregrines are great. I also love my Brooks Caldera 4s and the good thing about Brooks is they have a shoe-finder tool on their website; then if you buy a pair, you have 30 days to use them and then return them if they don't suit, no matter how far you've run in them!

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 14/01/2021 14:21

Haha!!! I love my Inov8s. X Talons are really good, but definitely for proper mud/fell only...ie, if you need to run on road or trail to get to the mud, they're a bit of a pain. Perhaps consider the Inov8 Roclites as well? They're less full-on-clawlike than the X Talons yet are still v v good in mud/snow/trails/bog.
I did 6 miles this morning in my Roclites, in thick snow with bog and mud underneath, and was fine.

Please
or
Please
or

Chocolateteabag · 14/01/2021 16:20

Thank you both! I've just slathered around in the slushy snow to do 5K with Yaktrax making very little difference. My routes are always a mix of farm track, path, field and the odd bit of road, so for most of the time I probably don't need big lugs on my shoes.
I'll try the roclites, X-talons & check out the Brooks ones too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

putthehamsterbackinitscage · 14/01/2021 18:58

I've got x claws for mud, inov8 terra ultra for trail and on cloud for roads....

The x claws are great but size up! I get sore toes in those but not in my other shoes - when I replace them I'll go bigger. The grip isn't great on tarmac but they'll get you to fields ok if it's not too far.

The terra ultra are fab - lots of grip even on mud but not gore tex so I usually have muddy feet if the fields are wet.

Keep them clean by a quick 20 degree wash without detergent...

Please
or

LtGreggs · 17/01/2021 21:51

I really wanted Innov8 shoes having seen the recommendations, but they just didn't fit the shape of my foot (wide-ish). I'm now very comfortable in Asics Fujitrabuco - I find them good on mud, trails & soggy Scottish going, fine for the road-to-get-to-trail, and the last couple of weeks have also realised that they are pretty grippy on ice.

Please
or

SerialRelocator · 18/01/2021 17:05

If you like Hoka, why not the Hoka Speedgoat? Husband loves them for the more muddy stuff.
I use Hoka Challenger ATR which is suited to a variety of surfaces, but the Speedgoat is more capable in deep mud / boggy ground.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.