Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Honed and toned legs?

Bidenfairy · 13/11/2020 19:34

If you’re prone to big thighs how did you slim and tone them?

OP's posts:
Please
or

fellrunner85 · 13/11/2020 19:44

Running. Lots of running. I'll always have proportionately big legs, but these days they're toned and fit in size 8 jeans.

Please
or

Avacadoandtoast · 13/11/2020 19:45

Running, cardio and yoga (to stretch and lengthen the muscles)

Please
or

GeidiPrimes · 13/11/2020 19:50

A reformer's good for that, without adding bulk. You can still follow the sequence even without one, Youtube has some videos.

Please
or

Bidenfairy · 13/11/2020 19:56

Thanks so much I’ll look into starting up running, I have started sprinting and am afraid of not having the stamina for long runs but I’ll build up.

I just did an online Pilates class but I think that would take a long time to have effect.

Cardio, yoga I will try too as well as the reformer.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dontbugmemalone · 13/11/2020 20:59

I would love to have lean and muscular thighs, at 5ft and overweight, it's going to be challenge. At my slimmest, my thighs were large in proportion to the rest if me.

Sorry to gate crash but I'd like to know, how much running do you need to do to see a difference?

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 13/11/2020 21:35

It'll be different for everyone, but in my case I dropped from a size 12-14 to an 8, and toned up, when I started regularly running at least 25 to 30 "decent" miles a week. Usually more.

By "decent" miles I mean meaningful sessions - usually four runs a week; of which one is a long run at 8:30ish pace, one is a tempo run at 7 min mile pace, and then a hill session and a speed session.

While I was still overweight I ran half and full marathons, but it was at plodding pace. Stepping up both the intensity and the mileage made the difference.

Please
or

Schummakker · 14/11/2020 11:41

@fellrunner85 that’s really admirable, gives me hope!

Please
or

applepineapple · 14/11/2020 11:58

Reformer and barre for me Grin

Please
or

EmpressPenguin · 14/11/2020 19:30

Barre. And pilates and running, and then more Barre. Barre really targets legs and glutes. Pilates is more about core but a lot of the exercises are also legs/glutes. I always feel like Barre is the legs section of pilates x 100. Running definitely works but it's not for everyone.

Haven't tried reformer, but I'd love to, it sounds great.

Please
or

SenorFrog · 14/11/2020 19:32

Swimming, running and weight training.

Please
or

MrsGrindah · 14/11/2020 19:34

I used to run miles and miles and it never made any difference it the muscle tone. My legs were smaller yes , but still like sausages . Even DH said it was funny how my legs were still chubby!

Please
or

Mediumred · 14/11/2020 19:47

Crikey, fellrunner that is super quick, and at lot of miles. I am much slower and not so many miles, currently have a little injury that is making it hard to go very far. I could be thinner overall but my legs, while not super slim, are quite toned because of cycling. I do think there is a definite genetic component!

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 14/11/2020 19:55

The shape of your muscle can't not really be altered, what change is their size, making them bigger or making them smaller, but you can't make them longer.
What will make a leg look long and lean is first genetic, then body fat % and how much a muscle is developed . Too many squats, dead lifts and the like will make your legs bigger (as will spinning, given the peloton craze)

You can try to give a visual definition by NOT working the front of the leg ( the quats) and over working the hamstrings.

Sprints workout require a lot of force and might actually increase the size of the muscle, so anyone wishing for leaner legs, shouldn't do too many sprint (unless we are talking about 3 or 4 minutes sprints and not a 45 min workout). Having longer, even if less intense runs, is also good for the lymphatic system as with every step, you pump it.

To have smaller legs, you need less fat and less muscle ( and I say this as a weightlifter) .

No PP has mentioned diet, and what you eat will reflect in water retention and circulation. You are what you eat and drink.

Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 14/11/2020 20:14

Running for tone, like @fellrunner85 I do 25 miles a week, every week (this is the first week in nearly 3 years where I haven't run and that's because I've had the bloody 'Rona Grin), 3/4 strength training classes/hiit type things, plus yoga. I'm not as organised as fellrunner though, I do a fast one, a long one, a few 5/7kms and a running club session a week but not as structured as that.

But yes, like the poster above, it's the diet that makes the difference. I gave up sugar, dairy and grains in July as part of a big life overhaul and dropped a stone and the muscle definition on my legs visibly improved, very quickly. I'd been low carb for years but the full paleo-style high protein, no junk whatsoever really improved my tone all over my body, not just my legs.

No running or working out for 2 weeks, my fitness hasn't suffered but I've lost 5lbs of my hard earned muscles!!

My legs are toned, but they aren't small though; glutes and hamstrings are big muscles! And I weigh heavy for my size as they are heavy muscles too!

Please
or

MashedSweetSpud · 14/11/2020 20:24

Rowing machine.

Please
or

Schummakker · 14/11/2020 20:26

@LeGrandBleu that’s really informative thank you! I’m trying to sprint for the weight loss and heart but good news about lymphatic workout too. I’m doing about 15 minutes of that only every few days for weight loss but i want to stay away from anything that bulks!

@thenewaveragebear1983

interestingly I’ve started low carb today - really hoping to see a difference! I’d love to try complete keto but I’m easing into it - it’ll be difficult for me and no dairy would be too.

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 14/11/2020 20:38

@Schummakker if you are trying to lose weight, do not exceed your daily protein needs (0.8 gr protein/kg of bodyweight). Proteins above your needs will raise insulin in the same way sugar does, and since the body can't store protein they are transformed into sugar then fat.

Eliminating fast carb (refined flour and sugar) , processed oil (and this mean all processed food and junk) and increased your greens (green rhymes with lean) is a must not only for weight but also health as we all know.

When buying or choosing something to eat, the best question you can ask yourself is will this food give me the body (or health) I want.
Mostly if it has a label and ingredients listed, it won't .
Shop in the fresh aisles. try to increase your variety of vegetables. Most people only eat the same 5 or 6. Increase to double or triple that. Your microbiome will thank you by making you slimmer.

Please
or

Schummakker · 14/11/2020 21:40

@LeGrandBleu thank you that’s a timely tip as I’ve been eating so many boiled eggs I did wonder if it’s a protein overload.

What’s your opinion on lentils chickpeas and those type of legumes? I’ve been doing stews with them with fresh spinach and veg.

Cutting out refined carbs as they make me feel awful and have got me a tad overweight in the first place.

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 15/11/2020 01:51

I am French and the rule is to eat food you like. I am not talking about party food ( crisp , savoury snacks, cake ) , children’s food ( chocolate bars, biscuits) and processed crap. Real food. Just have less of it.
You like a lentil stew, go for it. Don’t put too many if any potatoes but load with leeks, zucchini, cauliflower, chopped ripe tomatoes.

Deep down, you know what food made you gain weight and which will make you lose it. Don’t eat the bad stuff and don’t eat too much of the good stuff.
Try to avoid starches and anything made in a factory and it becomes easy.
Discover the pleasure of real food.
From time to time , in the evening have very light dinner, a bunch of asparagus with two slices of prosciutto or a rocket salad with some shaved parmigiano or a soup without any bread.
Here in Australia, I see my friends battling weight and arguing about fats, carbs or proteins. The more they talk the heavier they become because they stop eating food and focus on a nutrient. They will demonise a kiwi and eat a disgusting paleo bar. I don’t say anything but a kiwi and a handful of frozen raspberries would be so much better for their waistline and taste buds.

To go back to the topic of the discussion, sorry OP. Overtraining legs either with too much weight or too many reps will make them bigger. Losing a serious amount of body fat will make them lean and yes sometimes fat on legs is the last spot where we lose it . Dry brushing and walking or rebounding will help circulation and lymphatic system. Eating green will lessen inflammation and swelling of legs. Drink more non flavoured, unsweetened water.

Please
or

ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords · 15/11/2020 10:56

I am French and the rule is to eat food you like.

..... only if the food you like doesn't include chocolate, cake, biscuits, crisps, puddings etc.Grin

From time to time , in the evening have very light dinner, a bunch of asparagus with two slices of prosciutto or a rocket salad with some shaved parmigiano or a soup without any bread.

a kiwi and a handful of frozen raspberries would be so much better for their waistline and taste buds.

I think everyone knows if you cut out high fat, high sugar foods and eat a few leaves for dinner or a handful of berries as a snack instead, you will lose weight, but most people don't want to eat in such a restrictive, obsessive way - certainly not long-term. I think there is a balance to be had that means no foods are labelled bad and are banned totally.

Please
or

Schummakker · 15/11/2020 13:59

@LeGrandBleu totally see what you mean and have read about how French women enjoy cheese wine etc in moderation. Agree with you, moderation and enjoyment coupled with exercise sounds ideal. The idea of depriving yourself usually makes it less sustainable. My French friends are all about enjoying life and look so fabulous Wine

Haven’t dry brushed in ages! Again, French women really know how to prioritise taking care of themselves. I’m off to buy a brush.

@ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords yes I think that’s what she agree with too, good nutritious food and less processed. Agree totally about balance otherwise it just becomes a slog.

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 15/11/2020 18:45

@ArtieFufkinPolymerRecords
or a handful of berries as a snack instead, you will lose weight no no no.... you misunderstood, I am not talking about snack, but breakfast.
We do not snack. Ever. We don't carry food in our handbag, or car, or eat while walking or in front of the tv. It is not so much what we eat at meals time but what happens in between.
The kiwi and raspberries was breakfast!

I know it sounds stupid, eat better and eat less, but many will justify greasy bacon or a cheesy (not even real cheese but processed) fatty burger, or even the bacon with the cheese on a bun-less burger, on some book writer and theory that eating fat will make you slim.

I am older (in my 50s) and when I was in my 20s or 30s you didn't have these battles between nutrients. When the jeans was tight or the zip on a skirt struggled to come up, you did a week of tomates-concombres (tomatoes-cucumber) , and when they felt right again, you were back to normal eating . But our normal eating doesn't include crisps or chocolate biscuits, because they are not normal for adults.

Please
or

LauraBassi · 15/11/2020 18:48

Can’t believe no one has mentioned spinning!

I damaged my ligaments in my ankle and couldn’t run so bought a spinning bike. It’s ace and I don’t even need to leave the house . Seen a difference to my arse and legs

Please
or

throwaway100000 · 15/11/2020 18:55

I have very toned legs and always get compliments on them. My sister is a gym freak and always comments that no matter what, she can’t get her legs to tone like mine!

It’s literally just from wearing heels as it changes the shape of your thighs.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a slim hourglass and fairly active which helps, but since lockdown the difference in my leg tone has been night and day. It’s just from not wearing heels, I’m still active etc.

Don’t be afraid of weight lifting - you want to build muscles in the right areas.

Please
or

Parker231 · 15/11/2020 18:59

Barre and Pilates - every week. Eat what you like but in moderation. If you want a snack, have one but don’t have one tomorrow. If you want a glass of wine, have one, but only one.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.