Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Exercise for a tubby mum

bigpinkdinosaur · 01/11/2020 20:20

Hi, two years ago I gave birth, since then I've piled on 2.5st from my original pre birth weight I want to loose, time is limited l. I'm also ridiculously tired as toddler wakes multiple times in the night and is awake from 5am every morning and I work full time and a carer for my husband

Anyway

I'm looking for a joe wicks style 15 mins workout but he's got so many I don't know where to start.

I used to love running but feel too heavy to do that now, I want to start gently back into exercising.

Any recommendations would be great for YouTube/online videos as I don't have time to go to classes or run in the real world yet.

Thank you 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

earlydoors42 · 08/11/2020 08:39

I like Pop Sugar on You Tube. They have all different styles and lengths of workouts so you could search "pop sugar 15 minutes" and then have a quick flick through them to see what suits you.

There is a lovely man who does tabata on there called Raineir, they are usually over 15 mins but he does some 10 and 15 mins abs ones. Lots of other nice people too.

Please
or

Tibtab · 08/11/2020 08:43

I put on 3 stone, I did the couch to 5k programme and felt like I’d be too heavy but I finished it. You can do it at your own pace.

Please
or

WeKnowFrogsGoShaLaLaLaLa · 08/11/2020 08:46

Try team body project on YouTube. They're fantastic. They have a large selection on there or you can sign up to their website for more.

Their turbo twenties workout might be perfect for you.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 08/11/2020 08:49

C25K to start running would be fine - it starts really gently, and you can repeat days or whole weeks as often as you want to.

I'm sure others will recommend intro level home workouts, but I just wanted to remind you that there!/ no over-riding reason not to run.

You mention that you're also trying to lose weight. I found a support thread in the weight loss chat topic really helpful when I needed that, and only started exercising once most of the weight had gone. I admire you for taking on two things at once! Exercise won't lessen your weight, but will be so good for you in so many ways. Wish I'd done it all years before!

Please
or

PolarnOPirate · 08/11/2020 08:55

I love Rainier's Tabata on Pop Sugar, great shout PP. He is so kind and encouraging.

I did C25K earlier in the year, I'm 16 stone. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. I completed it and did enjoy the time out for myself but I didn't lose any weight whatsoever and I can't believe it is good for the joints. I do have plantar fasciitis so was doing it on top of that.

I've bought an exercise bike this year which I love as I go on it when the kids are asleep - 5am, naptime or after bedtime. So convient. But again, haven't lost any weight, but do feel fitter.

Please
or

pinkbalconyrailing · 08/11/2020 09:06

c25k is great, but you need to be toddler free for that or have a jogging friendly stroller.

if you are new to exercise go for low inpact at first. there are some nice ones on youtube.
exercise bike is also a good call.

but (and this is a big one!) exercise only plays a little part in weight loss. to out-exercise excess calories you need to do a lot more than 15 min a day.
half an hour running only burns around 300 extra calories. that's equivalent to one cupcake with icing!

Please
or

bumblebumblebumblebee · 08/11/2020 09:08

Thank you all x

Please
or

SavoyCabbage · 08/11/2020 09:19

I like the 30 day shred. It's 20 minutes but I always start 4 minutes in.

Please
or

SavoyCabbage · 08/11/2020 09:20

Actually 'like' is too strong a word. I do the 30 day shred.

Please
or

Nikori · 08/11/2020 09:25

How about just going for a 30-min walk every day with the baby in the pram? Weight is more in what you eat. When I was tired with the toddler I was just eating biscuits and sweets to give me an energy boost. I was anaemic too, so totally knackered all the time. Now, I do things like slow cooker lentil curry and portion and freeze leftovers for easy lunches.

Please
or

Nikori · 08/11/2020 09:27

I also take a multi-vitamin every day. So many women are anaemic and that also adds to the tiredness.

Please
or

Welshponyslave · 08/11/2020 09:29

Blogilates on YouTube is great too, she is more toning but has video less than 10 minutes that you “feel the burn” in!
I also like the fitologists on YouTube, they do 4 minute Tabata videos.
I do a couple of those followed by a blogilates on a week night and I do see a difference.

Please
or

chocolatespiders · 08/11/2020 09:30

Could you go for a walk with pram. Fresh air might do you both some good.
There is also a lady who does walking videos on your tube which is quite good. I will try and remember her name.

Please
or

PolarnOPirate · 08/11/2020 09:36

@chocolatespiders is it Leslie Sansone? She’s a good vibe too.

Please
or

BadlydoneHelen · 08/11/2020 09:37

@chocolatespiders Do you mean Lesley Sansone? She has power walking videos on YouTube

Please
or

chocolatespiders · 08/11/2020 09:43

Yes thats her. They are worth a look op and I am going to look the others up too as I am overweight and can't carry on like this as I pass my mid forties.

Please
or

bumblebumblebumblebee · 08/11/2020 15:04

Thanks guys, my daughter hasn't used her pram since this January. She just wants to walk everywhere lol

I think during this lockdown I'm going to make it a priority to get out for a brisk walk every day for 20 mins or so.

I will also have a look at those videos suggested

Thanks

Please
or

bumblebumblebumblebee · 08/11/2020 15:05

It's also changing my mind set too as I've become too used to having a cake or chocolate or something to reward myself or when I feel tired or when I feel low. I know I'm an emotional eater and I'm very stressed at the moment.

Does anyone have any self help/life guru podcasts they can recommend too?

Please
or

SugarCoatIt · 08/11/2020 15:07

I would say, just go with anything that you enjoy.

Walking is one of the best things that you can do, and you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn.

Tracking your food intake will help too, my fitness pal is a great app (I only do this when actively trying to lose weight)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.