Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Springy trainers for wide feet

thenewaveragebear1983 · 13/10/2020 16:53

I have fairly wide feet, due to a bunion, and have been wearing Hoka one one Arahi for my last 3/4 pairs (partly due to not being able to try on in lockdown so stuck with what I had previously)

However, I have noticed the last pair is just not as hard wearing as I'd expect. Bought in July so they have done 400-500 km but they feel squashed and seem to have no spring. Pair before that was exactly the same shoe, Arahi 4, and also seemed to wear out quickly (did March to July)

I have tried new insoles with no joy really so on Saturday I'm heading to a running shop. Any recommendations for a good road runner, that can withstand a fair bit of use (40 km a week, at least 1 long 15km+ run) that's also wide, cushioned, and neutral, but with some arch support?

I am happy to try men's ones to get width if necessary

OP's posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 14/10/2020 12:41

Brooks and New Balance both do some trainers in a wider fit. Or the Altras are wider but very different as they have zero heel drop.
I find my Brooks start to loose their cushioning after about 500km though. I keep them for walking or short runs but wouldn't do a long run in them.

Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 14/10/2020 15:12

@emmathedilemma thanks. I've not tried either of those brands before, so will have a look. The Hoka are brilliant for width but I actually think my feet have changed shape due to increased training and I need different support. If I can get 500km out of a paid of brooks that would be great.

OP's posts:
Please
or

garlictwist · 14/10/2020 15:58

I also have wide feet and bunions. I run in men's new balance trainers as I find them really wide and cushioned. The women's versions are too narrow.

Please
or

Charlieandlola · 14/10/2020 16:03

Brooks mens for me in extra wide.

Please
or

Stumpedasatree · 14/10/2020 21:04

Saucony Iso, they're brilliantly bouncy and comfy

Please
or

Rainyday26 · 14/10/2020 21:09

New Balance fresh foam 1080s or 890s for me , or Brooks Ghost all in a D fit . The 1080s are the bounciest!

Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 15/10/2020 07:24

@Stumpedasatree those saucony look good, there's a lot of iso2 with 50% off as well which is brilliant, I always seem to find a brand that never gets in the sale (again, Hoka one one!)

I'm going to brave the shops and go to get properly fitted I think, try on a few pairs

OP's posts:
Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 17/10/2020 15:43

I've gone for brooks adrenaline gts20 in a wide fit.

This 'free hobby' is very expensive!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.