Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Runners help please

onyabikeivy · 03/10/2020 18:46

Hoping someone can help. I've been back to running for about 18 months after following couch to 5k. I had problems with my knees about three weeks into c25k but since then no injuries.
I had been in a routine of running about 3 and a half miles as often as I could in a week, usually about 5 times. For the last couple of months I've increased my distance so at first I was running 6 miles once a week then as of September and my children being back to school I'd been running three days a week and doing 6 miles each time. So my weekly mileage wasn't really different to before. But.... thanks for sticking with me, this past couple of weeks my legs just feel heavy even when I've had a couple of days off, sometimes I can run at a good speed and others I'm up to 40 seconds slower on average per mile for the run. Some miles vary by up to a minute. I just don't understand why and if there is anything I can do. I always stretch before I go and it doesn't make any difference to me being able to run properly or not :( I have done about 600 miles in my trainers but can needing new trainers really help?? Just looking for a bit of help as to how I can improve and feel more consistent.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 03/10/2020 19:22

Maybe you are a heel runner and put too much force in your landing, and your shoes might actually increase that force. Because a shoe has cushioning, it will influence how hard you hit the ground. You will hit it harder than if you were barefoot.
The other day during my commute I was listening to Irene Davis in this podcast who explains it so well.
peterattiamd.com/irenedavis/

Please
or

onyabikeivy · 03/10/2020 19:32

Ahh thank you I'll give that a listen. So frustrating

OP's posts:
Please
or

boredinthouse · 03/10/2020 19:35

That sound like a lot of mileage for your trainers. I think they normally need replacing after around 400 miles so it could be that.

Please
or

Difford · 03/10/2020 19:40

I think you'd be better off mixing it up a bit and doing one long slow run a week and a couple of shorter faster ones.

Please
or

ScarMatty · 03/10/2020 19:44

Go and get your gait looks at and a new pair of trainers, possibly with insole

Please
or

AnotherDelphinium · 03/10/2020 20:13

Seconding what the PP said, head to a runners shop for a gait analysis and your current trainers, they’ll be able to see where/how they’ve worn, and 600 miles is probably time for replacement.
Also, you say you stretch, but do you warm up? It’s started to get cold the last few weeks, have a look at dynamic stretching so you slow jog, then a few stretches whilst you’re moving, i.e left hand down, right hand down, both hands down, heel kicks, high knees.

Please
or

crummyusername · 03/10/2020 20:17

600 miles is a lot. Though I doubt that would slow you down, more make you Injury prone. I’d agree with mixing up the distances / pace with maybe one faster shorter run a week. Check out possible medical causes too - low vitamin D or iron are common and have a big impact.

Please
or

StrawScarecrow · 03/10/2020 20:17

Definitely new trainers.

But also mix it up a bit if you can, I would aim for one faster 5k, one longer 6 - 8 miles, one in between and easy paced may be with some hills.

Last suggestion- a rest week might do you good- no more than 3 miles, easy, twice this week and see if you feel fresher next week.

Please
or

StrawScarecrow · 03/10/2020 20:17

Second para is a suggestion for typical weekly runs. Didn't proof read Grin

Please
or

HappyThursdays · 03/10/2020 20:23

I've had a similar problem (though more to do with my heartbeat just getting too high and feeling exhausted) - I've done as others suggested and mixed up the runs. I now do 2 shorts (quick) and 1 long (slower) and it's made a massive difference. I'm now getting faster again and I don't feel as tired (and my legs are ok).

It's worth trying but I would also get a new pair of trainers.

Please
or

Indoctro · 03/10/2020 20:24

You need new trainers

Please
or

S00LA · 03/10/2020 20:28

I agree

Gait analysis
New trainers
Cross training
No static stretching before, just a brisk walk or light jog to warm up
Proper stretching afterwards
Foam roller

Please
or

onyabikeivy · 03/10/2020 20:35

Thank you everyone!!! Pretty unanimous on the trainers and changing up my runs during the week Smile I've even realise that I had followed a dynamic warmup from runners world for a few weeks and my runs always went well, for some reason I stopped and went back to static stretching and here I am, with legs that feel like they'd rather not run HmmI'll definitely get on this next week. So fed up with getting out and feeling like I've pushed myself only to be a minute slower than I'm expecting for most miles Confused you've all been really helpful.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.