Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Running - form vs intensity

BlusteryShowers · 24/08/2020 09:54

I'm a beginner runner working through C25K. Running for around ten min stints at the mo.

Almost all the advice I read tells me that I should be going at a conversational pace and to slow down if I'm getting out of breath.

My running heart rate is usually in the 180s, but if I went much slower I'd feel like I was shuffling. I am trying to keep decent form in terms of posture and cadence so as to not develop bad habits and risk injury.

I'd like to be running with a heart rate of nearer 150bpm. Is this something that will just get better with time or do I need to shuffle for a bit?

OP's posts:
Please
or

fellrunner85 · 24/08/2020 12:45

How fast are you running at the moment, in terms of mins per mile? I know you describe anything slower as a "shuffle", but definitions of a shuffle are all relative!
If you're already fairly slow (ie 10 min miles or slower) then I wouldn't worry about slowing down even more. Your heart rate will come down as you get fitter.
But if you're doing your 10-min stints at, say, 6 min mile pace, yes you do need to slow down!
Also don't overthink form at this point. That will develop as you get more experienced as a runner.

Please
or

BlusteryShowers · 24/08/2020 14:25

Thanks @fellrunner85 I'm definitely a slow coach! The last time I was running I was on around 11 minute miles however, I knew nothing about form and used to pick up shin splints all the time, get fed up then completely stop.

I'm trying to do it properly this time so that hopefully Confused when I am in a position to be running a couple of miles without stopping, my pace will naturally be better because my form is better iyswim.

I'll keep going as I am and hopefully see an improvement in my cardio!

OP's posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 24/08/2020 14:31

HR seems very high. Are you quite young or quite overweight?

Please
or

rookiemere · 24/08/2020 15:06

That's a very high heart rate. What's your heart rate when you're walking briskly 😆?

Please
or

rookiemere · 24/08/2020 15:06

Sorry emoji was not meant to be there

Please
or

ReviewingTheSituation · 24/08/2020 15:24

I wouldn't describe c10 min miles as 'already fairly slow'. That's a 30 min parkrun, and whilst there are people who finish in 16 mins, there are also plenty who take 45-50.

Very few people get to the end of C25K able to run at 10 min miles - I wouldn't be using that as a benchmark as to whether to slow down or not.

HR of 180 is likely to be too high (all depends on age, weight etc, but it's high!), so I'd say you definitely need to slow down. Speed will come, focus on consistency for now, and get your body used to running.

I'd say focus on bringing your heart rate down. Don't worry if you feel like you're shuffling. You won't be! To give you some context, I tend to race at c9 min miles but do my long runs (training) at 11+ min miles and a very low heart rate. That can feel like a shuffle, but it's all relative.

Please
or

Neolara · 24/08/2020 15:27

Also your heart rate monitor might be inaccurate.

Please
or

BlusteryShowers · 24/08/2020 15:37

It's just an Apple Watch. My resting hr is around 40 and I'm aged 33. Walking hr is around 107 according to the app,

OP's posts:
Please
or

ReviewingTheSituation · 24/08/2020 23:44

In that case, definitely slow down. Right down. Speed will come later, but build some running fitness first.

Please
or

lljkk · 25/08/2020 02:38

RHR around 40 seems too low. Sorry, but I can't make sense of that. I have an optical HR sensor that doesn't produce such weird numbers for me but no idea Y your numbers seem so extreme.

Please
or

Filiboom · 01/09/2020 12:54

Agree that RHR sounds v slow, especially compared to running heart rate. Wrist
Monitors aren’t as accurate as chest ones, but that’s quite a difference (and I think Apple is one of the more accurate).

Ignoring the RHRnumber and just thinking about the running, can you hold a conversation whilst running? That might be a good point to aim for. I agree re the slow it down advice. It seems counterintuitive, but will ultimately help you speed up as well. I’m fairly fit these days but my
HR will go up to 170 if going fast or up a steep hill (I’m 43), but I can keep going for a long time at around 140-150, and still be running! It’s definitely taken a while to get to this point, but even more definitely it’s been worth it.

Please
or

Filiboom · 01/09/2020 12:57

(The reason for putting my age is that the calculation for upper HR limits is (I think) 220 minus your age, so as you are ten years younger than me would expect yours to be a bit higher.)

Please
or

Brimful · 02/09/2020 07:36

I have a low RHR of around 45 and my heart rate was around 170 when running.

Slow down.

I didn't think I was pushing it until I started phoning someone to chat to while on my long runs when lockdown began, so I had to slow down to be able to chat on the phone while running, and I was amazed my heart rate stayed at a steady 150 and my fitness has massively improved.

My pace is 6-6.15min per km when not on the phone, heart rate 160-170 sometimes touched 180 and now my long runs are 7.15-7.30 min per km and heart rate 140-150. I enjoy them SO much more and my intervals are getting faster. My heart rate has actually come down to 165ish at my faster pace too.

So def try slowing down! Speed will come, but I've realised how important it is to build steadily and keep heart rate comfortable for the majority of runs.

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 02/09/2020 07:53

I think your HR monitor must be wrong (and wrist ones are notoriously unreliable).
40bpm RHR would make you pretty fit, so doesn't align with a measurement of 180bpm for a slow, short, run.

By comparison (and my measurements are probably a bit out too, as it's a wrist measure rather than a chest strap) my resting HR is around 45 and my steady runs (8:30 min mile pace or so) average around 150bpm. If I'm killing myself in a sprint finish or in a speed session (6:30 min miles ish) it can get up to 190.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.