Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does frail shielded disabled person need physiotherapist?

20mum · 20/08/2020 18:37

A woman advertises to do home massage ( Yes, I know, but she claims she is a physiotherapist. ) It would/wouldn't break lockdown? It would/wouldn't help building strength?

Normal physiotherapy would ideally be extensive, frequent and prolonged following extensive loss of condition.

In isolation, there's no motivation to find some u tube video and wave arms around a bit, especially if it's doubtful it will be done correctly, or that it will do the slightest good.

If you can go out walking/swimming/running, results are measurable, and there is little likelihood of doing something so incorrectly that it's damaging, so there's an incentive to keep it up. A qualified physiotherapist would seem ideal, but oddly she seems only to offer massage. Any thoughts, please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SentientAndCognisant · 20/08/2020 18:59

Hmmm
Check If she is a physiotherapist
If she’s not on register report her to HCPC. AND don’t book her
Your post is vague. If you’re instructing a physio what’s the clinical goal, what duration, how long do you need PT for?

Does frail shielded disabled person need physiotherapist?
Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 21/08/2020 06:01

Massage doesn’t strengthen muscles. I would be very suspicious of anyone making such claims

Please
or

RoseAndRose · 21/08/2020 06:51

Shielding is paused, so there's no particular reason why an exceptionally vulnerable person should not have someone visit (though it wouid be prudent to take stringent hygiene controls)

Massage will not build strength.

Exercises will. A session to determine condition and teach those exercises, then follow up by zoom (or the whole thing by zoom) strikes me as far more suitable.

Please
or

20mum · 21/08/2020 09:42

Thank you for replies. An anomaly I never understood is why the entire fitness industry is focused on the fittest, with a grudging concession that athletes do at times have fleeting inconvenience of minor sports injuries.

Whoever could have dreamed that the population includes a probable hidden majority of such strange creatures as :- those disabled from birth, or permanently impaired, or weak, or frail, or elderly, or grossly obese, or badly injured, or extremely unfit, or with bad backs, bad hips, bad feet bad knees, or/ and waiting years for operations or recovering from operations, or terminally ill needing to improve and prolong quality of life, or recovering from debilitating prolonged weakening bed-rest, ....

The response from the industry is along the lines of " Surely that sort of (wierd, unspeakably freaky) person should just all get themselves to a village hall where a grey haired amateur will lead them in something called KeepFit?". Or, if they are permanently disabled or properly ill: "Surely they are all kept in hospitals where teams of n.h.s. physiotherapists visit their wards daily? " ....and "Nothing to do with us mate, surely if they aren't in a ward, they all just go to the g.p. and get referred to n.h.s. outpatients for a couple of physio sessions and a bit of paper telling them some exercises?".....

and, tacitly, "Really it's people's own fault: Why doesn't everyone in the land simply go for half an hour's brisk daily walk, building up to a couple of hours running, and join a gym, and be body perfect, and cycle, and be permanently under 40, and work out with a fitness instructor, and take up enjoyable sport as a form of social life?" "Frankly, if they won't be just like us, they must all be lazy so it serves them right if they all just die off, because we never will".

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ethelswith · 21/08/2020 09:44

Agree!

And here's a site which strikes back:

www.weareundefeatable.co.uk

Please
or

20mum · 21/08/2020 09:57

P.s. sorry, should have put rant alert. Years of campaigning that equal human rights includes disability, not just skin colour, presses a button.
Sir Trevor Phillips when head of equalities pointed out "Disability discrimination is universally practiced, institutionalised, invisible, publicly accepted, and in many ways, in it's effect on people's lives, is worse than racism".

Wot Trev said is still true. He could have added Ageist discrimination, the never-even-mentioned 'Protected Equalities group'. But even he never-even-mentioned them!

OP's posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 21/08/2020 11:27

if that's your impression of the fitness industry then I'd say you've just not found the right gym or professionals to support you. My gym has a number of fitness instructors who are qualified in supporting people with both short and long term injuries and health issues and there's a really range of people who use it, including those with apparent disabilities (and I'm sure a lot with hidden disabilities too). It's not uncommon to see people in my gym who walk with sticks or use the hoist to get in and out of the pool.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.