Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

C25k newbie, help with what to wear in rain.

Imtoooldforallthis · 02/07/2020 10:04

On week 3 of c25k, all going OK, been for my run this morning in the rain, all OK but I was soaked, not a huge problem as jumped straight in the shower. But it did make me wonder what everyone else does. Do you just brave it out, or wear a jacket but then have to carry it if you get too warm. I have got running shorts vest, sports bra, and a thin non waterproof jacket. Also any recommendations for socks, I currently don't wear any not sure if I should especially when it gets to winter. This exercise thing is all new to me, don't want to spend a lot, but can afford it if it makes a big difference. Oh and also hats, I don't own any hats, do I need one?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SlipperyLizard · 02/07/2020 10:11

After trying lots of running jackets I came to the conclusion I’d rather just get wet than run in a waterproof - but I see lots of people running in them, so that might just be me!

The only reason I wear special socks is that I get blisters if I don’t, so I wear twin skin socks (cheap ones from sports direct).

I also have some “sleeves” that I got from decathlon, they’re ideal in spring and autumn as I put them on with a short sleeve t shirt then can take them off when I warm up (or not if it stays cold).

I use a buff or ear band when it is really cold as my ears freeze, and a cap or visor can be good for keeping sun and rain out of your eyes!

I have running gloves for winter but inevitably take them off part way through except when it is really cold.

It all so personal - there’s no right or wrong kit.

Please
or

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet · 02/07/2020 10:13

I'm on week 9 of C25k and Decathlon is a great site for affordable running stuff. I got running socks, tops, etc from there. The running socks are padded on the sole. J can't help with the rain issue as I would be too hot wearing anything more than a vest even in the rain.

Please
or

DramaDromedary · 02/07/2020 10:17

Ref jackets- I’ve tried a couple, but find, like slippery, that I actually prefer to get wet. It adds to my sense of all-weather achievement! No advice on socks really- I just wear short sport socks, some of which I must have had for 10 years. For headwear, I also wear an ear band in the winter, or one of those snood-type big headbands. I can’t seem to run in a cap or sunglasses, but maybe I just haven’t got the right ones. And yy to gloves, which I usually take off after about 10 minutes. I was just thinking this morning, I MUCH prefer winter running.

Please
or

Embracelife · 02/07/2020 10:20

Git soaked last Saturday!

M and m has running jackets etc have got some good deals from there
www.mandmdirect.com/02/fts/?search=ladies+running+jacket

Wrap round waist when get hot
Running cap in rain
Definitely good socks i like Stance make or any that say running socks

Bands for neck/head like hygge they usually have buy one get three free
hyggebands.com/

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 02/07/2020 10:43

When it's warm and a short run i wouldn't bother with a jacket. Even the expensive ones tend to make you wet inside from sweat anyway. I'd wear one in the winter or if it was windy they can be good to keep you warm.
Always wear socks, I'm surprised your trainers don't rub without them. My current favourites are the ultra-thin ones from Decathlon.

Please
or

crumpet · 02/07/2020 10:48

I mainly wear a cap to help stop the rain coming in my eyes. Waterproofs generally only if it’s really cold.

I say this as if I am an expert- have not gone beyond C25k myself!

Please
or

SlipperyLizard · 02/07/2020 10:55

I much prefer winter running too - last week when it was hot I didn’t go at all, and while I never do many races I always avoid ones in summer (or even late spring!)

Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 02/07/2020 10:58

Thanks Everyone, as I thought it's all down to personal taste. Can I ask another question of all you experts when I go for a run, I nearly always need the loo, will this stop over time as I'm sure there is nothing I can do about it but it does make me very uncomfortable.

OP's posts:
Please
or

IsThisNameTaken · 02/07/2020 10:59

I can't be doing with carrying anything unnecessary when running - so prefer to get wet / be a bit cold at the start of the run rather than end up carrying a jacket later. Even in the coldest winter days I find I don't need a hat, but an ear muff of some sort (I have one with inbuilt Bluetooth headphones) is good. Gloves are great at the start when it's really cold but after about a mile the blood gets circulating and I end up taking them off.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 02/07/2020 11:03

If it's warm I'd just get wet - maybe adding something to keep rain out of my eyes (not a cap, they make me itch, probably a buff as headband)

Sleeves are brilliant for days when the weather is in--betweeny, adjusting whether your arms are seems to make a huge difference.

I have a seriously expensive running jacket for very wet days, which is brilliant and one off the very few which is genuinely breathable. But even the high spec ones will make you warmer, so not great in summer.

Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 02/07/2020 11:05

I think I will end up just getting wet as I can't be doing with carrying anything., although I might have to get a hat as the rain was running into my eyes this morning. And I will get some socks, although my trainers don't rub at the moment.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 02/07/2020 11:09

Sorry more questions, is a buff just a headband? Can you get them with blue tooth?

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 02/07/2020 11:12

I have routes with known locations for public loos - always useful when out for longer runs!

I find I need to go to the loo reepedljust before I set off. Then the urge usually shuts down when moving. Not invariably, but pretty much that. So I'd say yes you may find it passes.

Running first thing in the morning seems to help as well (starting emptier?)

Please
or

AuntieStella · 02/07/2020 11:18

A buff is a tube of fabric, which can be used as headband, head covering, neck warmer and, these days, face covering (not for when you're actually running, but might be useful for unexpected stops.

You can get them in merino, cotton or various synthetics (of greater or lesser wicking ability).

I think inbuilt headphones tend to be in hats, headbands and earmuffs, rather than buffs. I have Aftershokz bone conducting headphones (safest type as they are not in the ear, so you can still hear what is happening around you) and they don't have any versions in other wearables.

Please
or

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet · 02/07/2020 11:57

In terms of needing the loo I run first thing and only have a few sips of water before going out. I also go to the loo immediately before I go out. I think it's definitely worse if you go out later in the day.

Please
or

MillyMollyMandy36 · 02/07/2020 12:20

When it’s raining just get wet ..I find I always get hot and clammy in a jacket even when its freezing. Its horrible walking out in the rain but once you’re going its refreshing and makes you feel such a hero when you get back.

A buff isn’t the same as a headband, its also known as a neck gaiter or snood and is generally A tube of thin stretchy cotton to wear round the neck or you can pull over your head as a tube to keep your hair back. If you have thick hair then I prefer running in a fleece headband rather than a hat even on the coldest winter day, otherwise my head gets too hot.

For rain in the eyes or drips down the face, just put a slick of vaseline over your eyebrows and the rain will go down the side of your face rather than in your eyes.

Please
or

Embracelife · 02/07/2020 12:41

No expert either ... 3x week slow runner here... but have tried cheap versions before investing eg bought cheap over ear headphones and then tayogo bone conduction headphones 20£ on amazon...after 12 months (and now they don't hold charge so well) decided yes I like do prefer this style bone conducting so have now bought aftershockz ...love them

Please
or

Imtoooldforallthis · 02/07/2020 12:46

I don't think I can justify the Aftershokz just yet, I am not very good at persevering with things, if I make it to the 9 weeks I may treat myself. I'm having all on managing my ipod, I keep leaving it playing so next time I come to use it it's out of charge!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Embracelife · 02/07/2020 18:35

The hygge work as meck buff or headband
They on Get 75% OFF Running Headbands!

Headbands that stay put, wick sweat and help you feel and perform at your very best.

BUY 1 GET 3 FREE with code”FREEME" at checkout!

Please
or

Embracelife · 02/07/2020 18:36

Hyggebands.com I have a few lots of colours

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.