Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To buy an ordinary or fold up bike

Londongirl888 · 29/06/2020 20:03

Whilst at home for local trips and fun and fitness fancied getting a bike for some time. Also not taking the car for short trips to allotment etc.

For storage and ease a fold up sounds like it would work but do I need a proper bike? Don't want to spend loads in case it's not for me

Think I need 16 inch if regular bike.

Would you recommend second hand or just go for new

Thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

sleepismysuperpower1 · 29/06/2020 20:06

I would go for a second hand regular bike, because the folding bikes can be uncomfortable and I think they are mostly made for commuting purposes rather than exercise

Please
or

Londongirl888 · 29/06/2020 20:44

Thanks Sleep will have a look for second hand.

Need easy access to it so that I use it a good few times a week.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheesypea · 29/06/2020 21:13

Lots of bikes are sold out in london shops. I wouldnt buy any bike before testing it first. I tried out a cheap folding bike once it was very uncomfortable.

Please
or

Londongirl888 · 29/06/2020 22:20

Thanks Sleep.
Very useful for garage but not adjacent but good long term. Just a bit of a faff lugging thru to rear. Will look at options to store nearby Will see what is around to buy.

Cheesy pea. Yes I looked loads sold out and independent shops struggling for delivery. Would be nice to try before I buy. Some of the folding ones do look a bit uncomfortable.

Some of the more expensive ones like Bromptons are not showing up secondhand and I bet they keep their price for good reason.

Friend just messaged re regular bike for sale it looks quite compact

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheesypea · 30/06/2020 19:55

Make sure you get the specifications for the bike first so you can look it up online. Apparantly brompton are all sold out! Im considering waiting till winter to buy second hand when the fairweather cyclists have given up.

Please
or

Londongirl888 · 30/06/2020 22:14

Cheesy pea. Agree re Bromptons worth waiting for.

Friends bike looks good and is cheap whilst I source what I need. There are some on classifieds normally would be happy to drive and pick up but it's a bit stressful at the moment and don't fancy a wasted journey.

Decided the fold up is better for me as I want to cycle as part of my daily life.

Halfords, amazon and Decathlon have some fold ups around £350 mixed reviews on quality.

Good luck on your hunt.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheesypea · 01/07/2020 00:09

Thanks op. I'd never buy a halfords bike imo they are rust buckets

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.