Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Views of larger runners.

Mysterian · 18/06/2020 22:11

A woman I work with is put off running because she's worried about what people will think of her size. She's actually not particularly overweight, but she feels other runners will judge her negatively. I don't think people will. Surely the non-judgey are fine and the judgey will be glad to see larger people exercising?
I'm more impressed the bigger people are as what they're doing is much harder, but then again I'm 4 stone overweight myself.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hollyhead · 18/06/2020 22:12

I just think ‘great someone else enjoying running’ and give a friendly look.

Please
or

TeaAndHobnob · 18/06/2020 22:13

I used to be a fat-ish runner and I never felt judged by anyone. I'm a bit thinner now and I've got to say running is a lot easier without so much timber to carry around.

I've felt self conscious out running but honestly no one cares.

Please
or

SallyWD · 18/06/2020 22:33

No one cares! No one will even notice. People are too wrapped up in their own lives. I see lots of people running each day - couldn't tell you what size they are. I just pay no attention.

Please
or

Bert2020 · 18/06/2020 22:36

From someone overweight that doesn’t run I’m always impressed by those that do! They are doing far better than me.

Please
or

Fishfingersandwichplease · 18/06/2020 22:38

Tell her to go for it!!! And if anyone is rude to ignore them- at least she is doing something to keep fit.

Please
or

SHAR0N · 18/06/2020 22:47

I’m a normal weight runner and I never notice what size any other runners are, I’m too focussed on what I’m doing.

Please
or

BadgertheBodger · 18/06/2020 22:50

I’m a 3 stone overweight runner and nobody has ever given me any cause to think I’m being judged or looked at...in fact I’ve found the local running community to be supportive, kind and generous with their time. Tell her to go for it, stick some music on and get C25K done

Please
or

grafittiartist · 18/06/2020 22:52

Overweight runner here!
Please tell her she mustn't think about it at all. Runners are the friendliest group- all supportive.
It's a shame that park run is off, as that's a great inclusive event.
Just go for it is my advice!

Please
or

randomsabreuse · 18/06/2020 22:52

I'm overweight, I run, I have not been the largest person running in any of the races I've done.

I will admit to looking for someone of a similar build to "chase" / pace myself against, but they will never know that they were my "competition". To be honest in the last stretch anyone in sight and still racing is "competition" for 379th place or whatever I'm at, my competition is really against the clock but the clock is difficult to chase!

Please
or

rwalker · 18/06/2020 23:01

No one cares it's a shame there are no local races on at the moment she could of watched one off them .They really are all shapes, sizes and abilties .

Please
or

Redcrayons · 18/06/2020 23:02

I run a lot and I’ve found that running people are overwhelmingly friendly supportive and encouraging. Tell her to go for it.

Please
or

Mysterian · 18/06/2020 23:06

I've told her that nobody cares. Hopefully after a few weeks of doing that she'll believe me. Funny thing is that she's a dancer (hobby/community club) so she already does stuff in tight-ish clothes in front of an audience with no problems.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 18/06/2020 23:10

I used to be very overweight

I used to have dreadful imposter syndrome, and thought everyone wouid be sniggering "all the gear and no idea"

It's not true. Runners are a lovely, friendly accepting bunch (well, you do get the odd arse, but they're far between), genuinely pleased for all sizes shapes and standards.

But I think you only come to know that once you get yourself out there.

So, support her, and when it reopens gets both of you along to,parkrun

Please
or

Chickoletta · 18/06/2020 23:12

I was fattish (size 14+) when I finished in the top 25% of women in the London Marathon. Along the way I overtook lots of slimmer people and was also overtaken by women bigger than me. This was the first time that I really understood that being larger had no impact on fitness or determination. I’m not saying that I could run in the olympics, just that there is a lot more to running than body shape.

Please
or

Tiktokcringeydance · 18/06/2020 23:16

I like running. I'm not overweight but I am naturally quite lazy so I'm impressed at anyone who gets off their arse and goes for a run.

Please
or

countchocula · 18/06/2020 23:16

I'm overweight and took up running last year. I've noticed women in the gym who are my size or bigger and something it's taught me is that size isn't an instant indicator of fitness as many think. You could be a size 8, perfect figure but if you haven't run before you're not going to be able to run further or faster than someone who is a size 18 but able to run 5k.

Had I known how quickly I would make progress or how much I would enjoy it, I would have started running years ago instead of all the fad diets I've done.

I've never felt like anyone was staring at me and I was super self conscious. I hope your friend goes for it!

Please
or

MrsJamin · 19/06/2020 07:56

I'm just starting to run, I'm not overweight but I totally understand that feeling of "I can't do this, I'm really slow, this is embarrassing". Lots of people feel like this but you do have to get to a point where you're putting yourself first, and trying to silence the voices in your head that are hurling abuse. I try and make sure I smile at other runners I see, especially those people who look like they aren't quite having the best time ever as I find it encouraging when other runners smile at me - I think it says "well done, you belong". Another vote for parkrun when it reopens, really encouraging for runners at all levels. The applause gets louder for the people coming in at the end rather than those finishing first.

Please
or

GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 19/06/2020 08:32

I think, good on you: that must take some motivation and determination.

Please
or

pourmeanotherglass · 19/06/2020 08:41

I'm a larger runner and haven't had any issues. It's been a bit tricky in lockdown as my usual running routes are very busy with walkers and picnicers and im a bit self conscious, so I've gone early morning to avoid this. The only time I've had a problem is a couple of years ago when I picked a route that went close to a large secondary school at lunchtime. Won't do that again.

Please
or

evilharpy · 23/06/2020 10:46

In my running group there are quite a few ladies who are overweight. Nobody bats an eyelid. On group runs the faster people "loop and scoop" so nobody is ever left behind. Generally runners tend to be a nice, friendly, supportive bunch (even the super speedy blokes). The people who would judge won't be other runners, they'd be the arseholes who would find something else to judge if it wasn't running and who gives a shit about them?

Tell her to find a running group, preferably an informal ladies-only one. She'll meet people of all shapes and sizes, hares and tortoises, and get plenty of moral support and there'll always be someone to run with for company.

Please
or

averythinline · 23/06/2020 11:38

I'm big and very slow puffing my way hopefully through c25k ... previous attempts I did on treadmill at gym as bothered about being in public (gym different for some reason)
But not an option this time and I'm amazed about how fine it is!
But
A decent bra, a lightweight t shirt and bottoms really help (would recommend decathlon for cheap gear they have some relaxed fit crop leggings which are comfy)

Decent trainer also helped me as crap feet but dh done in cheaper decathlon as well...

Outside provides better distractions

Please
or

Dozer · 23/06/2020 11:43

Other people’s inner thoughts about what other’s look like in sportswear/running/exercising don’t matter, and the risks of verbal criticism/abuse when exercising outdoors are v low in most places.

I did once run for a train, in office wear, with many bags past a group of teens, and a couple of the boys loudly took the piss out of my running style and boobs! I did look odd. Their friends told them to shut up and they called out again to apologise.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.