Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do you think that cycling has made your bum bigger?

wasnotwasweregood · 23/05/2020 11:28

Since lockdown I have been doing Zwift three times a week in the garage. I was definitely not a cyclist before and have managed to move from 20kms per hour to 30. I am definitely fitter and stronger and can really see a difference in the muscles of my thighs and bum. Everything feels firmer, which is great. However I'm also finding that my clothes are feeling a bit tighter and I definitely haven't lost anything from that area (which I'm quite disappointed with tbh). Cycling making my bum bigger not smaller was definitely not The Plan but DH reckons that it's not possible and he's literally never heard of that before.

I have not started eating or drinking more to compensate. I'm really thoughtful about what food I eat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks in advance.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SingingSands · 23/05/2020 11:53

You've probably done wonders for your glutes and have given yourself a great bum lift!

Please
or

theseriousmoonlight · 23/05/2020 12:02

It depends on what type of cycling in my experience. Hill climbing will usually make you leaner than sprinting does. Can you focus more on long, steady climbs on zwift?

Please
or

Saltystraw · 23/05/2020 12:04

If this is correct then I’m going to take up cycling.. I lost my bum when pregnant.

Please
or

Mumski45 · 23/05/2020 12:08

I have also been Zwifting a lot in lockdown. Unfortunately not lost any weight as I have been eating too much but I do think weight has shifted a little as muscles get stronger.

On the plus side I am really enjoying Zwift and finding it very motivational.

Please
or

wasnotwasweregood · 23/05/2020 13:14

Maybe that's it, just the muscles re-jiggling themselves, I have a horrible feeling you're right @theseriousmoonlight but I whimper in the face of Box Hill. I did it once, by mistake.

@Mumski45 I like Zwift too, much more than I thought I would when I started, feel really heartened by getting a 'Ride On'!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wagamamas · 23/05/2020 13:16

Thighs tend to get bigger

Please
or

EmpressLangClegInChair · 23/05/2020 13:18

There was a thread a while ago where the OP was talking about her friend’s big bum, and a lot of confusion because it wasn’t immediately obvious that the OP viewed having a big bum as a good thing 😂

Please
or

Mumski45 · 23/05/2020 13:25

@wasnotwasweregood have you found the ladies only zwift facebook group. Its a very friendly chatting group with lots of advice and encouragement and a great place to get tips on which rides to do next. Zwift is a great place to practice climbing as you can just change down the gears and keep on plodding on.

Please
or

Confusedbutheyho · 23/05/2020 13:25

My daughter has given up cycling because she read it makes your thighs chunkier.

Your muscles enlarge in the thigh/glutes area as they’re worked so much more but it’ll do wonders for your general health and fitness.

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 23/05/2020 13:29

My arse looks like its been flattened by a steam roller. If cycling makes it even an inch bigger I'm getting on my bike more often

Please
or

wasnotwasweregood · 23/05/2020 13:38

I can see this is going two ways - to be clear I was definitely looking to declutter rather than add to the junk in the trunk Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

LycraLovingLass · 23/05/2020 13:41

ohhh I didnt know cycling does this, I might just have to give it a go!!

Please
or

theseriousmoonlight · 23/05/2020 13:41

@wasnotwasweregood you don't have to do huge climbs. Slow, steady climbing is good for building stamina and should lead to a leaner shape if that's your aim. I know they're different in the fact they're make, but compare a Chris Froome (not a pure climber but more suited to that terrain than a flat sprint) body type to Mark Cavendish (a pure sprinter who still has to climb hills / mountains but would never win the polka dot jersey).
If you're cycling for fitness, I would recommend a mixture of stamina and speed.

Please
or

Happydaysforever123 · 23/05/2020 13:49

Oh so how can I pump my bum and not my thighs? Is that possible with cycling.

Please
or

Happydaysforever123 · 23/05/2020 13:49

OMG Plump not pump my bum!!

Please
or

Neversaygoodbye · 23/05/2020 13:53

I joined zwift too in Feb/March due to my hubby's recommendations (I'm not a cyclist but he most definitely is) and am hooked. I haven't lost weight (need to lose a good stone) but have been comfort eating during lockdown. I think my thighs look bigger but my bum has "lifted" a bit, in my opinion it's always been big but saggy, lol! I've been building up to doing some longer and more hilly routes, today I did the mountain route....OMG! But I really enjoyed it...surprised myself. Ride On. X

Please
or

justamumof1 · 23/05/2020 13:55

I think I'm going to take up cycling

Please
or

TheHighestSardine · 23/05/2020 14:01

Cycling will make your glutes larger, giving a lovely firm bum. If you're not also losing fat, then your arse will get larger. So get into calorie deficit and you'll reduce the lardiness and have a really tight butt.

Please
or

Splodgetastic · 23/05/2020 14:05

It can also make your waist smaller so bottom and thighs look bigger by comparison, but it will build up your legs and bottom to an extent. How much depends upon natural propensity, diet and type of cycling. Sprinting is very different from endurance.

Please
or

Ultrasoft · 23/05/2020 14:07

Yes, that'll be it, too much cycling Grin

Exercise does change your shape but it depends on your starting point if you get bigger. If you were very skinny, becoming more muscular will make you bigger, if you had fat to lose, being more muscular will more likely make you slimmer.

I did have to get rid of all my calf length boots , as my calves got too chunky.

Please
or

wasnotwasweregood · 23/05/2020 14:12

@Mumski45 thank you that group looks great - I've applied to join.

@theseriousmoonlight that's an interesting comparison, now I've mastered gears I'll start looking at elevation a bit more.

I did a lot of competitive breaststroke swimming as a kid so I guess it's possible the cycling's woken all those muscles up.

Thank you all this has been really helpful.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.