Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

At home workouts

Hoolahoophop · 11/05/2020 08:10

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for strength or yoga workouts I can do at home. Maybe YouTube? Ive started couch to 5k Mon, wed and Fri, looking for strength exercises to time me up on Tues and Thurs and a yoga for a Saturday morning! I have diasis recti following my two pregnancies so nothing too hard in case I make it worse. Does anyone have any favorite people to follow. Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dudsville · 11/05/2020 08:11

Do you have Amazon prime? There is a lot to choose from there.

Please
or

Mummyonline · 11/05/2020 09:49

What do you recommend on Amazon Prime?

Please
or

MrsJamin · 11/05/2020 10:08

Here are some great people to follow on Instagram:
@laurabiceps
@aliceliveing
@soheefit
They do a mix of bodyweight and weight exercises.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 11/05/2020 10:12

I use popsugar fitness on YouTube a lot, they have a channel with hundreds of workouts so I just pick one (based on length usually!). The descriptions are quite clear so it will be 'no equipment cardio' or something and they have a countdown clock in the corner which I find really useful so I can screech 'just give me seven more minutes!' at the kids...

Please
or

Hoolahoophop · 11/05/2020 11:21

Mistermagpie Grin that's the kind of thing I need.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotGenerationAlpha · 11/05/2020 11:31

If you like yoga, have you tried Yoga with Adrienne? She's one of the biggest name on youtube for yoga. I picked up a Les Mills on Demand subscription and do body balance on there along with loads of other classes), but I think it might be too hard for you? It's the fitness program followed by a lot of gyms.

Please
or

Lenny1980 · 11/05/2020 11:42

I’m a few months post natal so very conscious of not being too tough on my abs (c section too). I’m finding it hard to find at home no equipment workouts that don’t have a reasonable amount of abs involved, either planks, crunches/bicycles, press-ups, burpees etc, which should all be avoided with diastasis recti. I have workarounds for most things (e.g. wall press ups, modified burpees, etc) but it can get a bit annoying. I’ve had to stop Joe Wicks as I was finding I couldn’t do about half the exercises in some of his workouts. It was also knackering my knees as I’m not used to high impact stuff (I’m a cross trainer and weights girl usually).

I’ve found a few low impact workouts on the body project on YouTube which are good and avoid a lot of abs work. But they may be a bit too cardio for you if you are trying to avoid cardio on those days.

Are you doing anything about your diastasis recti? There are a lot of exercises on YouTube that are supposed to help. I’ve been doing them for 4-5 weeks now, just for 5-10 minutes after a workout and I think it is helping.

Please
or

cornflower123 · 11/05/2020 12:06

I've been using Fitnessblender.com workouts (I'm at a beginner-medium level). You can search for exactly the workout level you want, then link to youtube. They have loads to pick from. Covers strength/Cardio/yoga etc and all really well explained.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 11/05/2020 13:27

What I would say is that nothing has toned me up like running. It's surprised me actually, my arms and waist are more toned than they were through years of 'gym' workouts. I've never run more than three times a week either. I do online workouts too at the moment but that's only been since lockdown.

I started running six years ago and am now in better shape than I was in my 20s and I've had three children in those six years!

It's high impact but easy on the abs. So you might see an impact just from couch to 5k.

Please
or

KurriKawari · 18/05/2020 16:02

I like the 30 day challenge apps. Saves all the faff and talking on youtube videos..also logs what days you worked out, calories burnt etc and steadily builds the difficulty up.

Please
or

nonsensicalmess · 18/05/2020 23:16

Running alone does nothing for strength though - and strength is so important as we age. As a runner I learnt this the hard way! I like to run a few times a week and strength train with dumbbells or kettlebell 2 or 3 times a week, with a yoga session where I can manage it. I like fitness blender and bodyfit by Amy for strength workouts on YouTube, and yoga with Adriene. Enjoy! Things like a skipping rope for a quick cardio workout in the garden if you have on, are also great.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 19/05/2020 17:44

God you're right there nonsense, I always say I'm 'running fit' but I'm not strong at all, I am slim and quite toned but I can't do a full press up!

Please
or

nonsensicalmess · 19/05/2020 21:37

So true @mistermagpie, I always thought of myself as very fit cos I run, until I started strength training and saw the room for improvement! My muscle to fat ratio was also very poor, despite being slim, very healthy BMI etc. Strength training is really helping with that!

Please
or

mistermagpie · 20/05/2020 12:47

Yes I've been working on strength with YouTube videos since lockdown avd its a real eye opener. I've also got better times on my runs so it might be helping there too!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.