Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What do you think of skipping as a way to keep fit?

TR888 · 25/04/2020 16:29

Hi, I’m thinking of buying a skipping rope and take up skipping. It seems like good exercise and convenient if for whatever reason I can’t go running. I have outdoor space to do it. What do you think?

Also, can anybody tell me what kind of skipping rope I need to buy, considering I am a complete beginner?

OP's posts:
Please
or

GymSloth · 25/04/2020 16:32

Sounds a great way to keep fit - isn't it what boxers do as part of their training?

No idea about which rope, sorry - but interested to see what recommendations you get!

Please
or

wildthingsinthenight · 25/04/2020 16:33

It's supposed to be a great all round exercise. Cardio and toning.
Just make sure you have a good sports bra!Grin

Please
or

BestIsWest · 25/04/2020 16:37

I was just about to post about the bra! DS has a skipping rope as he can’t go to the gym. I tried it last week and it was not as easy as I remembered. I managed 6 turns of the rope!

Please
or

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo · 25/04/2020 16:38

It’s an intense workout so you could use it as interval training one minute skipping, 30 seconds rest type of thing, also make sure you do it properly (like a boxer) not how we skipped as children.

Please
or

LordEmsworth · 25/04/2020 16:38

There's a reason boxers skip. It is excellent training, especially for HIIT type training - gets your heart rate right up, quickly. It is also bloody hard!

Any rope will do, the fancy ones are adjustable lengths and have counters - I have a bog standard one, which is a bit too long but I know that if I wrap one end round my hand twice, it's a perfect length.

Please
or

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo · 25/04/2020 16:42

Here you go
Please
or

fallfallfall · 25/04/2020 16:43

Well it relatively quick, no one at the gym does hours of it. What I see is it being used in conjunction with other forms of training.
Make sure what you buy adjusts for your height, and that the handles don’t twist up.

Please
or

LadyPips · 25/04/2020 16:46

I lost 10lbs when I was younger just by skipping for 20 mins a few times a week. Just be sure to warm up and don't skip on too hard a surface.

Please
or

Thighmageddon · 25/04/2020 16:48

Have you seen the Skipping Sikh on the BEEB? He looks so flipping fit for his age.

Please
or

TR888 · 27/04/2020 08:08

Thank you for your answers. That video is really helpful, by the way! I've bought a weighted rope which should be delivered in the next few days, I'll let you know how it goes!

OP's posts:
Please
or

SunnyStroll · 27/04/2020 08:22

It is excellent exercise and much harder (fitness wise) than it looks.

I find it very boring though so can't actually make myself stick at it for very long.

Please
or

BunnytheHoneyBee · 27/04/2020 08:25

DH found a skipping rope in the garage the other day, apparently mine 🤷🏻‍♀️ So I’m going to give it a go

Concerned about the bra thing as I’m a 32G

Please
or

Rollerbird · 27/04/2020 12:12

It's really good skipping is.

Please
or

CloudyVanilla · 27/04/2020 12:15

Also good are mini trampolines! NASA says trampolining is the best exercise :)

Please
or

anxietrist · 27/04/2020 12:16

I'd piss myself

Please
or

Rollerbird · 27/04/2020 17:22

@anxietrist me too. I wear tena ladies

Please
or

wanderings · 27/04/2020 17:26

Professional netball players often skip.

Please
or

Nicole106 · 28/04/2020 13:30

Skipping is a great way to keep fit, make sure you check the length of the rope and alter it to suite you. Plenty of videos on YouTube that can help you.

Please
or

kirinm · 28/04/2020 13:33

I've started skipping and it is hard. I'm now up to 1 min on, 30s rest for about 15 mins. It is absolutely killing my calf muscles. I know that'll improve but wow. Because I'm finding it quite hard on my legs, I'm not putting much pressure on my lungs but I know eventually they'll be tested too.

I was also going to incorporate it into some HIIT adding other things into the rest periods (squats / push ups etc).

Please
or

BunnytheHoneyBee · 30/04/2020 14:17

I might try this today!

Please
or

Shockers · 30/04/2020 14:22

I’ve just ordered DS a good skipping rope for his birthday (he’ll be 20) next week. He’s set up a training circuit. I’d join him, but I’ve recently had surgery.

Please
or

myredcardiganbob · 30/04/2020 15:06

Skipping is a brilliant form of exercise, I alternate running and skipping days. There’s a very active Jump Rope group on fb, really skilled skippers who can do amazing things. I stick my wireless headphones on, set my Garmin to skip and off I go, set of 40 rotations boxer skip (feet together) with a count for 10 rest, set of 100 single foot (distributing jumps between each foot, feels like you’re toe tapping) count of 10 rest then repeat for however long I want. Dripping with sweat by the end! I have a fairly heavy leather rope and my arms feel as though they’ve been well worked, too.

Please
or

TR888 · 02/05/2020 16:55

Thanks for the answers! I'm using an old rope for now, the new one should be delivered soon. It's good fun! But I keep tripping over the rope. I guess it's just a matter of practice... or so I hope!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rollerbird · 02/05/2020 17:38

Try and keep your elbows in and your hands low (rather than out wide).
And try to relax your shoulders etc.

Please
or

DownThePan · 05/05/2020 14:35

@Thighmageddon the skipping Sikh is amazing. I'm trying to work my way up to 20 minutes skipping as he suggests. I currently bail around 2 minutes!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.