Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Running trainers for the barely beginning wobbler

Musicalmistress · 25/04/2020 13:06

Started C25k this week and have done the first 3 ‘runs’ without throwing my trainers away & swearing ‘never again!!’ but I’m quickly realising my current trainers are not good enough. Can anyone advise?

I’m a very large lady (about 20stone), size wide feet, I have high arches which have a tendency to roll onto the outer edge (over pronation?) & I’m currently wearing Karrimoor walking trainers which are comfy enough but I worry they don’t give me enough support.
Can anyone recommend brands I should look at? I don’t want to spend £100s but am willing to pay more for a pair that are really good & will last a wee while.
Thanks ladies.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bagelsandbrie · 25/04/2020 13:08

I am a beginner and I got some Asics gel ones from M and M direct online which were about £30 and have been so comfortable! They sell the same ones in running shops for £100 plus. Well worth a look on there and see if they have any bargains.

Please
or

Embracelife · 25/04/2020 13:09

Hmm ideally you need a running shop which analyses your gait over pronation and recommends...but in absence you can look for trainers which give the right support maybe email a online shop?
Mine pronate the other way inwards so I cant recommend mine

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 25/04/2020 14:07

Well done for starting c25k!
Usually, in lieu of being fitted in a proper running shop, I would recommend people get a cushioned, neutral, running shoe. However, due to your weight and your overpronation, I think you might be better with something more supportive, at least to get through c25k with, and until you can get on a treadmill in a running shop for a gait analysis.

You could spend a fortune, but in reality you don't want to invest loads on something you haven't been professionally fitted for. So! With that in mind...

I think your absolute best bet will be the Saucony Guide. Supportive, comfortable and v cushioned. Go one size up from your usual shoe size. Currently down to £40 from £120:
www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau3488/saucony-guide-iso-women%27s-running-shoes/

Alternatively, these offers on the stone-cold classic Brooks Ravenna are excellent:
www.sportsshoes.com/product/bro1962/brooks-ravenna-10-women%27s-running-shoes/

www.sportsshoes.com/product/bro1473/brooks-ravenna-9-women%27s-running-shoes/

Happy to help further if you want to know more about these shoes, or others. Good luck!

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 25/04/2020 16:05

My local running shop is still open remotely by phone and delivering. I'm sure others will be following a similar model.

I have wide, high arched feet and have just recieved my 3rd pair of Decathlon's Long Run Trainers. I take them in a size 4/37 consistent with my usual upsizing to reach adult sizing/ get width. They are a bit wider than some other pairs.
At £65, they're as good a pair as any for a stab in the dark purchase.

Please
or

sausageface · 26/04/2020 00:01

I'm of no help but I'm here to see the recommendations because honestly this sounds like me. Same weight, same running/walking on the outside of my feet, just no high arches.

It was week 1 run 3 today ( had done even shorter runs the week before) and I couldn't finish due to the pain in my shins 😭 I leave 2 days between runs to allow them to rest but I just couldn't complete it today. I know lots of this will be my weight but I've also heard having better footwear could help.

Anyway well done for week 1 and good luck for the rest!

Please
or

Musicalmistress · 27/04/2020 13:45

@sausageface we can do it!! The hardest part is starting & we’ve done that bit.
Im getting some pain in my shins but the worst is a really painful tightening up the outer muscle of my calf which I’m sure is down to my feet rolling outwards so hoping some better footwear might help. I’ve also found across the bottom of my back sore when I’m ‘running’ but have been sleeping with a pillow between my knees & that’s helped a bit.
I’m very aware that running is high impact & my body is already under pressure carrying my weight. My ‘run’ is very slow (you could pass me at a brisk walk I’m sure!) but I’m really focusing on just not stopping rather than speed.
I did week 2 run 1 this morning which is 90 secs run then 2mins walk - after the first run I thought I’d made a terrible mistake & id need to repeat week 1 cos I was never going to manage. I was slow, I didn’t go a great distance but I managed it!
I’m happy to be in contact via PM if you want a buddy for encouragement?
We can do it!!! 💐🤩

OP's posts:
Please
or

Embracelife · 27/04/2020 16:04

Make sure to do full warm up walk
And add stretches after cool down walk

Please
or

Embracelife · 27/04/2020 16:07

Like these

Please
or

Lordfrontpaw · 27/04/2020 16:07

That's brilliant! However... you really ought to wait until you can get to a decent running shop who can do a gait analysis. That can make a lot of difference. I'm very impressed with your drive!

Please
or

PetraDelphiki · 27/04/2020 16:07

I got some very wide hoka one trainers from sports shoes.com - they are a neutral shoe I think but you could always put insoles in

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 27/04/2020 16:07

I love Asics.

I'm going to be 'that' runner and say that I have found no discernible benefit to the whole pronation thing.

Wide enough is key for me. Otherwise I get pinched nerves.

Please
or
Please
or

sewingsinger · 27/04/2020 16:21

OP please don't buy a pair on-line, wait to get fitted properly. I can recommend Saucony, they do a normal and wide fit. I think Brooks also do a wide fit shoe. I actually found that going for a mens was a better fit for me, wide foot with high arch.

Please
or

Musicalmistress · 27/04/2020 16:55

Lots of great advice - thanks folks 🙂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bagelsandbrie · 27/04/2020 17:30

I was fitted at a very good sports / running shop, well recommended etc and had the whole fitting experience. I spent £120 on a pair of ASICS and they were okay but never really felt “right” despite the man in the shop telling me they fit well (they did feel comfy in the shop). The £30 ones I got from M and M online have been the best ones I’ve ever had. I’m not sold on the whole fitting thing. I think you can tell if they’re comfy or not. I guess there’s the whole neutral / support thing. I’m neutral so maybe that makes it easier.

Please
or

Lordfrontpaw · 27/04/2020 17:32

It depends on the shop - and if the staff know what they are talking about! The shop we go to is owned by a runner, hosts weekly runs and all the staff are mad keen runners. They don’t push the most expensive ones and will rummage in the back of the store for old stock if they think it will be good for you.

Please
or

Divebar · 27/04/2020 17:45

Well done OP.... I’m not much of a runner but I’m giving it a go... thankfully I got my shoes fitted in January so that bits sorted. Last year I really hurt my Achilles and was out of action for a long time. I think that was as a result of running in old trainers ( even with orthotics in) so be careful. If you have average feet and no problems then buying a cheap pair will no doubt be fine but where you have other issues like wide feet and over pronation then you can’t just stick a random pair on because they they happen to work for someone else. I also have wide feet and over pronate ( but inwards ) and have a pair by Brooks. I actually had to get orthotics fitted for my shoes a few years ago because I was getting arch pain and knee problems so a pair of shoes on its own might not be enough. All of this is a ball ache right now but just keep it in the back of your mind if you find yourself with problems down the line ( over pronation can also cause issues with hips or back). I got my orthotics fitted at a very whizzy biomechanics place in London but they were worth it.

Please
or

sleepwhenidie · 27/04/2020 17:55

Re shin pain- before your run, lift your leg and write’ the alphabet in the air with each foot to warm up your ankles and shins. This should help prevent it Smile

Please
or

Lordfrontpaw · 27/04/2020 17:57

The worst pain I got was down to bloody ballet pumps! Apparently slipons are the devils work as far as podiatrists are concerned.

Please
or

Amortentia · 27/04/2020 18:00

I really rate Brooks trainers if you need a bit of arch support and are classed as a ‘heavy runner’ which is anyone with a bmi over 27 apparently. I’ve just bought the Ravenna 10s and they’re great, very supportive and comfortable. They are pretty expenses but I got my from sportsshoes.com for half the usual price and they came pretty quickly.

Please
or

Lordfrontpaw · 27/04/2020 18:02

I use saucony - but ds loves ON. Each to their own.

Please
or

Veterinari · 27/04/2020 18:13

I use saucony and Brooke's both excellent and either likely better than your current shoes.

OP it's worth building in some strength work too - many running injuries occur because of a lack of muscle strength/support - the NHS app has some useful short workouts

Please
or

Lordfrontpaw · 27/04/2020 19:48

I didn’t get on with Brooks - it sure why. I have a neutral running action - maybe some are better for particular running actions. But - but don’t assume. I once bought the next version of a favourite runner online and it was so uncomfortable!

Please
or

Musicalmistress · 28/04/2020 16:08

Fantastic advice again. Thank you so much.
M def going to try writing the alphabet before i go out, if nothing else it'll give me a giggle! I've been doing a Pilates video this afternoon & though I might incorporate that on my rest days to build up a bit of strength & flexibility.

I went with the Brooks Ravenna 10 on @Runningonempty84 advice. They arrived this morning & seem very comfy! I've relaced them to suit wide feet as I've found this helped in the past. I wore them on our lunch time walk & had a little 'run' in them to test them out and they are a world away from the scrappy pair I was wearing. So even if they turn out to not be exactly the right pair for me in the long run, they seem better then my current pair.
I'll let you know how I get on after Run 2 tomo!

OP's posts:
Please
or

S0upertrooper · 28/04/2020 16:33

Have you downloaded the free app, I found that great motivation as well as a good guide.

I used to wear the top Asics, Kayano i think, I ran a lot and then stopped because of spinal surgery. I went back to get a new pair but found them too narrow, my feet have spread in flat shoes. I love Saucony (however the feck you spell it!!)

Good luck and keep going!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.