Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Doing C25k without a phone

zelbazinnamon · 01/04/2020 08:32

So at the moment I don’t think I can do C25K because a) I don’t have any pockets to put my phone in when I run b) my phone is one of those daft ones that doesn’t have a headphone jack, but I don’t have any blue tooth headphones either. I also don’t have a watch. Excuses, excuses. But presumably people went for a run before smartphones?! I do have a stopwatch so was wondering about writing it all out beforehand & taking the stopwatch. Or I get online and order one of those phone pocket things & a set of headphones... Anyone managed a low tech C25k?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PolloDePrimavera · 01/04/2020 08:36

I just hold mine when running. You could just play it through the phone without headphones? Not like there's anyone around to annoy!

Please
or

coachman · 01/04/2020 08:45

You can buy Bluetooth headphones like the Apple AirPods much cheaper now. I'm not sure how much. I have the Apple ones and they work well, but there are now other types for much less.
I just stick my phone in my bra as have no pockets either!

Please
or

LovingLola · 01/04/2020 08:49

I carry my phone in my hand
No problems

Please
or

BadgertheBodger · 01/04/2020 08:51

I got a £5 running belt with a pouch for my phone plus a £10 pair of Bluetooth headphones. If you have an iPhone the lightning jack headphones are about £25

Please
or

IrenetheQuaint · 01/04/2020 08:52

Or you can just count in your head/check your watch regularly (I do this though I can't claim to follow the C25K instructions 100% perfectly).

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 01/04/2020 08:53

Just count :-) You might have to run a couple of test runs in the garden to see what number you need to get to for 30 seconds (I'm doing a running training programme at the moment with intervals, and though my watch tells me what to do, I prefer to count down, and 30s of full out running actually needs me to count to 50, when I'm walking, counting to 30 does it) - but the exact numbers don't matter. When you get to longer intervals, if you have something to play music on at all you can do 1 track for every 3 minutes. I have a tiny MP3 player which I prefer running with to my phone

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 01/04/2020 08:58

Before C25K was invented (before smartphones and smart watches too, for that matter!) I got myself jogging by just running for a count of 10 or 20, then walking to get my breath back, repeat for suitable time or distance. Then gradually increase the running count.

I've also done similar using a Tabata timer app on my iPod and just carried it in my hand - the bleeps are ok without using headphones if you're somewhere quiet.

So it's definitely possible to do something like C25K low tech.

Please
or

QuestaVecchiaCasa · 04/04/2020 07:49

When I started running (aged 49), I didn't know about C25K but I had some vague idea that I shouldn't just try to run 5k in one go although I was fairly fit from regular bike riding.

Close to where I live are streets of Victorian and Edwardian terraces. So when I started I just ran one block then the next time, a block and a half etc.

Please
or

SpendAPennyPenny · 04/04/2020 08:03

If you have an MP3 player, the nhs have a podcast you can download for c25k.

Please
or

EmmaGellerGreen · 04/04/2020 08:08

You don’t need a phone or any app really. We run marathons from starting running about 3 years ago and never used an app. If running on roads, day 1 run between 3 lampposts, walk 3 etc. Then increase runs, decrease walks. Build up distance over a few weeks. In parks, fields etc, run to a tree, walk a bit. It may be mentally harder but running is mentally hard work as well as physically!

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 04/04/2020 09:01

You don't need a phone or an app. Another one here who now runs marathons after doing c25k with no tech at all. I used an ordinary watch when I first started out, and that did the job well enough - though I've now invested in a Garmin to make life easier Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.