Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Running jacket?

Stumpedasatree · 09/03/2020 10:33

Can anyone recommend a warm running jacket, ideally windproof and water resistant, but doesn't have to be. I haven't got a massive budget. Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Camper82 · 09/03/2020 10:36

I have this one. I love it! I really like the built in mitts. Hopefully the link will work.

www.decathlon.co.uk/w-jacket-kiprun-warm-regul-id_8519078.html

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 09/03/2020 11:38

How far are you planning on running in it, and how long will you be out?

Are you a fair-weather runner, or are you looking for something to withstand hailstones, snow, etc?

And how important are a hood, pockets, etc to you?

Please
or

Stumpedasatree · 09/03/2020 12:08

@Camper82, that jacket does look good! I have only just done a Decathlon order - may have to do another, thanks!

@Runningonempty84, all weather trail marathon runner I guess - and I am always cold until I have warmed up properly after 30 mins or so. Then I'd probably tie it around my waist or put it in my pack.

Looking for wind and water resistance, not so much snow/hailstones where I live.

I currently have a hooded Asics jacket but the hood is rubbish and doesn't stay up or cover my head. It's not bad for wind or rain though.

Pockets are important, and a functional hood. What do you rate? Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LuckyLickitung · 09/03/2020 20:57

I recently treated myself to Decathlon jacket when the forecast for my trail HM was looking soggy last month Grin

I favour a thinner one but with a bit of space to layer up underneath so I can wear it in a wider range of temperatures.

Please
or

ScrapThatThen · 09/03/2020 21:43

I've been struggling to find one too - camper, is the decathlon one fairly thin or more on the warm side? I might get it.

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 10/03/2020 07:32

I think layering is important, as it's too easy to get to that boil-in-a-bag stage. As a result, I'll only run in a jacket if it's really wet, cold and wintry - the rest of the time I find a long sleeved base layer over a vest works better.

That said, when I do go for a jacket, I think a thin Ronhill windproof/showerproof is just about the best you can get, IME. They have proper pockets, an adjustable hood, a tie at the bottom so it doesn't flap around, and genuinely breathable fabric.
Much better than those Decathlon ones, but more expensive unless you find a sale bargain. Decathlon undoubtedly good for the money though - and miles better than anything else on the high street.

Montane and Inov8 jackets are also excellent but, again, are silly money unless you do a lot of long fell running.

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 10/03/2020 07:36

If you're XS and can live with the high-vis, there's an excellent offer here;
www.sportsshoes.com/product/ron2767/ronhill-momentum-afterlight-women's-jacket/

Another sale option here in an 8 or a 14:
www.achillesheel.co.uk/products/ronhill-womens-momentum-afterlight-jacket-blackberry?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZzzBRCKARIsANwXaeKSiesAihZqyStu_NGm4syLjdtfN_giP-RBO6Y7AQ-dZZUx5q7JjIEaAkm5EALw_wcB&variant=30255852585015

Otherwise, you're looking at closer to £70 for a Ronhill. In which case, the Decathlon ones become a better option!

Please
or

Stumpedasatree · 10/03/2020 09:12

@Runningonempty84, I have just purchased the high vis XS - thank you very much!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stumpedasatree · 10/03/2020 09:13

Would you rate this one as well?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 10/03/2020 11:09

Oh wow - yes I would. And that's a great price. I have a few Brooks tops and they're excellent quality. In fact I may have to buy one of those! Smile

Please
or

ElderAve · 10/03/2020 11:13

Do you need a "warm" running jacket?

I've been a runner for more than a decade, never wear more than a very light jacket and even then, only on the very coldest days/nights.

Please
or

Camper82 · 10/03/2020 20:25

@ScrapThatThen I find it’s warm enough for the warmup walk I do, I’ll open the side zips if I get too warm, but haven’t found myself overheating this winter, it does a good job of keeping me dry when the weather has been wet, which has happened a lot this year. I really like it. I wish they did it in a brighter colour so I was more visible, but that’s my only gripe.

Please
or

ScrapThatThen · 10/03/2020 20:33

Great, thanks I might be tempted 🙂

Please
or

Stumpedasatree · 11/03/2020 10:04

@ElderAve it does take me a good while to warm up properly. Then it ends up tied around my waist - annoying too!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsJamin · 11/03/2020 16:12

Have a look at //www.sportpursuit.com - I've had some excellent things on here which are brilliant quality at proper sale prices.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.