Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New to jogging on treadmill

chicken2015 · 04/03/2020 18:43

So im very new to jogging, ive done intervals of 4 mins jogging and 2 mins walking repeated for 30 mins , i was just wondering few questions which may sound silly!
Does it get easier? Like will i find a rhythm?
I found the first 15 mins really hard and hated but wasnt as bad last 15 mins but was tired.
Is there a technique, with my weight distribution if that makes since i feel bit all over place and concerned im too heavy footed. I am plus sized if that makes a difference

OP's posts:
Please
or

chicken2015 · 04/03/2020 18:44

Another question
How different is it to jogging outside? And is there an app where i can have timer every 4 and 2 mins to change speed?

OP's posts:
Please
or

updadubs2013 · 05/03/2020 13:20

Hi @chicken2015, well done on starting running....4min jogging intervals is brilliant to start with that you can manage that. I personally find the treadmill harder than being outside, I think so much of it is mental strength to keep going and not just slow down/walk/stop, that I struggle with it. Mentally I find it easier outside but everyone is different and I know people who prefer treadmills as prefer the control. I find I can't run as fast on treadmill as would outside as feels harder but again that could just meHmm. And I always find the first 10-15mins of a run the hardest

Please
or

EmmaStone · 05/03/2020 13:39

Well done! I've been running on the treadmill all winter as it's been so wet, I haven't been able to get out (off road too boggy, and roads that I usually run on have been blocked by floods). It does get easier, my tip is to really think about your breathing, and breathe in time to your stride (so maybe 3 strides to breathe in 2 strides to breathe out, or whatever works for you - I do different things depending on how fast I'm going and how tired I am!).

I find running outside physically harder - hills! - but mentally find the treadmill harder (although have got used to it this winter!!). I listen to podcasts as it helps make the time go (and I will often stay on a bit longer to get to the end of a segment). I used to run to music, but found the knowledge that songs are about 3 mins long too distracting strangely, whereas a podcast there's no real way of telling how much longer there is unless you can see the screen.

I don't know of an app that would speak to your treadmill, but I think there are some treadmills that you can programme for intervals? Depends what you're running on. I just keep an eye on my times, and speed up and slow down (I do a lot of mental maths when running as well).

I think there is a technique, but I also think you run how you run to a certain extent, it's quite difficult to change what comes naturally.

Biggest tip is to make sure you're wearing the right kind of trainers to support your knees especially, and a shit hot sports bra.

Please
or

chicken2015 · 05/03/2020 13:41

Thank you for your reply, yes i would like to run outside im not sure i would work as hard as not sure the speed im going etc, my PT has given me 12 week goal to go on park run 5k 12 weeks from now 😁
Yes i agree with the mental strength! I was going to give up at 21 mins but keep going and did another round , im hoping it gets easier

OP's posts:
Please
or

chicken2015 · 05/03/2020 13:44

Thank you for reply emma , when you said it gets easier that gives me hope! It sounds like mentally its going to be more tough, i really dont like how it feels in the moment but the feeling after is just amazing! I was so pleased with myself yesterday! Thats whats going to keep my going!

OP's posts:
Please
or

GodwinsRulebook · 05/03/2020 14:38

I tend to prefer the treadmill as I think it's easier on my knees. Make sure that you put the incline on at least 2.

My personal trainer sometimes does interval training with me on the treadmill, using either speed or incline. First he taught me how to jump my feet to the side of the band, while it's moving, and then how to run back on again. It's really useful when you try high intensity intervals using speed.

I have managed to run 30 secs at 14 kph (I think the treadmills at my gym are in kilometres). I start at my normal warm up pace (8 kph) for 40 secs on and then off the band for 20 secs. Then up to 9kph for 40 secs etc. I can keep up the 40 secs on/20secs off to around 12kph, then I have to go to 30secs on and 30 secs off.

It is extremely effective - do a pyramid - start low, work up to the fastest you can manage, then go back down the other side. You can do about 10-12 minutes like this, and it's really effective!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.