Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Flabby stomach!

BackBoiler · 04/12/2019 08:22

I have lost 2st 2lb (another 4lb to lose to my aim) through healthy nutritious food and plenty cardio sessions at the gym with the aim of doing a 10k run late next year.

However my lower stomach is flabby. Will further exercise and crunches reduce this? I look fine while stood up but it bulges out when I sit!

Anyone been in a similar situation and succeeded to get rid of the excess?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BackBoiler · 04/12/2019 08:23

Obviously I should say tummy as I cannot actually see my stomach Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

Northernsoullover · 04/12/2019 08:27

You need Pilates rather than crunches. I did a 3 month stint over the summer and my stomach looked brilliant. I've had two children so its never going to be perfect but it stayed flat ish in clothes.

Please
or

Runningonempty84 · 04/12/2019 08:34

Sounds like you've done brilliantly so far, but more running will shift the fat. How much are you doing at the moment? At least four targeted sessions a week, totalling 25+ miles, is when I started to see a real difference.
If you bring your 10k forward to the spring rather than late next year, and do an autumn half marathon or 10-miler, that will help to focus your training. If your current aim is a 10k in almost a year's time, I'm guessing your mileage is currently on the low side.
And, as a PP said, Pilates is great for toning up (though I have to admit, I've let my Pilates and yoga slip!)

Please
or

BackBoiler · 04/12/2019 09:09

I only started about 15 weeks ago and before that I did little to no exercise with a sedentary office job.

I have little time in the evenings with the kids so I've started off quite small. I work full time so cannot usually go during the daytime. I typically do 3/4 1 hour cardio at the gym running about 7k each time on the treadmill and then do the rest of the hour on the rower. I chose September as I thought I'd start running outside in the spring when I could quit the gym after 6 months until the autumn again.

I do hate crunches and find them quite boring but I do like the idea of pilates! Never done it before, is it something I can replicate at home on the days I am not attending a class?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChasingRainbows19 · 06/12/2019 20:49

I've swam, cycled ( spin), walked and done boxercise type workouts but this year has been the flattest my stomach has ever been.

Yoga, resistance bands workouts and a good diet with lots of water. I also walk 10,000-15,000 maybe 4/5 days a week. You can't pin point weightloss or exercise but the leaner you become the weight comes off the belly!

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 06/12/2019 20:53

Weights, specifically weighted core exercises, it's the way to build abs. Yes all the others will work eventually, weights is fastest.

Just google some core exercises with weights. Things like v sit ups, Russian twists etc.

Please
or

Spodge · 13/12/2019 17:23

Well done on the weight loss and training for the run.

Is this really a problem, though? Doesn't pretty much everyone's stomach bulge a bit when sitting?

Please
or

Biscuitsandteaplease · 13/12/2019 17:27

Well done OP, it wounds like you've done an amazing job with weight loss! I wish I had your will power and drive to do so Grin

I second the Pilates, it flattened and shaped my pre-baby stomach like nothing else. I'm sure it would be the same post baby!
I just used to squeeze it in around what I was doing via YouTube, there's some great stuff on there

Please
or

Pollaidh · 13/12/2019 17:32

Pilates, avoiding sugar, planks.

Really must do some myself, used to have a flat stomach...

Please
or

KellySpotFitness · 16/12/2019 15:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

KellySpotFitness · 16/12/2019 16:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.