Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

London to brighton bike ride.. For a fatty!

PigOnStilts · 23/11/2019 08:53

Just want some honest advice....
I am 2.5 stone overweight although I'm getting down the gym daily and I'm looking much better even if the numbers aren't dropping.

My mate wants me to do London to brighton with her in June.

My bike has a basket a bell and still looked pristine.. 🙄Not ridden it much. Love cycling but kind of stopped when I was recovering from a slipped disc. Never did more than a quick tootle to the shops.

Is it even possible that I could complete proper training and get my fitness levels up for this ride by June? Or am I being overambitious?

I'm 45 and tend to put on muscle relatively easily. But I am fat!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Peony99 · 23/11/2019 09:01

YES. I did it with a group of friends a few years ago. Very mixed levels of fitness, but we all made it (just about) still smiling.

I am a regular commuter cyclist but didn't do any extra training (perhaps I should have done!).

I suspect that if your bike is quite comfy you will be fine till the dreaded Ditchling Beacon hill...which it's totally acceptable to walk up.

Take lots of snacks and have a bike service first.

Please
or

Oliversmumsarmy · 23/11/2019 09:04

We did it one year and it was a shambles.

We put down that we were going to be slow and booked ourselves on the coach back.

They set us off on one of the hottest days of the year at the latest time.

All the water stations had shut.
Not because we were slow but because they had either ran out of water or just didn’t open for that long.

We got about 10 miles and had to make the decision to return.

We were never going to make it down to Brighton in time for the coach on the way back so we had to set off back.

Wouldn’t even attempt to do it again.

Please
or

Ylvamoon · 23/11/2019 09:19

Yes! Go for it.
If you like cycling it's a great goal to get fit!
Just do a feasible training plan... you are already down the gym... why not book one or two personal trainer session to get some endurance and strength training exercises tailored to your needs/ wants.
There should also be lots of training advice on the internet.
I am doing something similar in September, and I went from doing no exercise to 4-5 days training/ week.... but still a long way off from the ideal!
The only thing is, as someone else said, June can be hot...

Please
or

PigOnStilts · 23/11/2019 11:08

I don't want to make a total tit of myself.
Should aim for 10 miles an hour?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Simkin · 23/11/2019 11:10

I'm fat and should think the main problem is a sore arse. Get the comfiest bike seat you can find and ultra padded shorts!!

Please
or

Oliversmumsarmy · 23/11/2019 11:25

That was our aim but by the time we had set off we wouldn’t have made to the coach on the way back

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 23/11/2019 11:35

I’ve done it twice, back in the 1980s when it first started - turn up at Clapham Common and if we went, to doing it in 2007 and thousands of people ride it and you get time slots - I got to choose the time slot.

It isn’t a fast paced event due to sheer bike gridlock and with training you’d be fine for 6 months to get to a few hours on a bike

I’ll warn you though that the last hill is tough

Please
or

PigOnStilts · 23/11/2019 12:18

OK. Thanks for input.....I have told my friends ill do it.

Then I came home and ate a load of hobnobs Blush

OP's posts:
Please
or

soulrunner · 23/11/2019 12:22

Carb loading! It’s important Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.